Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
newbie, but was caravanner for 20 years
Could I ask peoples opinions as to the robustness of Corelle dining ware please? We have been using the same old melamine stuff since we started tugging 20 years ago. Now we have a motorhome, I think its time for an upgrade!

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We tried the 'plastic' type but switched to traditional china, same as we use at home.
Same with glassware, we use proper glass rather than plastic
We're careful not to carry more than we need so weight isn't an issue

Upvote 0

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
We have the correlle and it's brilliant I recently dropped a side plate in Benidorm whilst washing and I was surprised it didn't chip or break.

John.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
With the motorhome we always use china with no problems or special packing just the grippy rubber stuff lining the shelf (£1 from poundland). We always use proper glasses as well got some nice crystal ones from a charity shop so not the end of the world if you break one, though carry a couple of plastic ones for rally's in the marquee . Though if you prefer the plastic ones have read a lot of good reports about Correle.

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I thought Corelle was a type of glass not plastic?
Yes..... We have Corelle crockery. Ditched the mugs as they are simply stoneware, but the plates bowls etc are both light and strong

Upvote 0

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We bought corelle when we had the caravan and weight a problem because i dont like std melamine but did like the corelle stuff. Really strong. Had it for 2/3 years now and no problems. Love the fact it grips the tables and tops which is great when sriving with brews.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Another vote for Corelle.

It looks and feels like proper china but seems pretty indestructible. We haven't managed to damage any of ours yet (y)

Yes, Corelle is some sort of compressed glass.

Upvote 0
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I thinkCorelle's pretty much the same as pyrex. I thought about it and decided it was too expensive, so bought enamel. It's sturdy, cheap, light and can go in the oven. I hate melamine! We still have china cups and glass glasses but are pleased with enamel. Don't have to worry about travelling with it either...
It's also very fashionable at present and is being made in other colours!

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
We use china cups glass glasses
enamel kettle. teapot .coffee pot.
plates .dishes . And plastic for microwave.
and traditional metal ovenware.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We bought a set in Florida last year for $20 a real bargain. After a few months one plate chipped so i contacted correlle uk and after sending them a photo they sent another one. Well now another has chipped :(. I do like them but with all the juddering in the motorhome wondering how robust they are. I have now bought a great expense a bamboo set made by outwell. Dare not tell my hubby that i don't like the feel of this set :unsure: Wished i had just gone for cheap china :unsure:

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We use Corelle and really like it, doesn't get cut marks and stains like the melamine. Regarding the cereal bowls we got the noddle bowls which are a better size for cereals.

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We use Corelle and really like it, doesn't get cut marks and stains like the melamine. Regarding the cereal bowls we got the noddle bowls which are a better size for cereals.

The above is from my OH, the plates, bowls, dishes are all Corelle, they are really fantastic, lovely to use, easy to clean and as he says no marks/cuts/scratches etc.
Our mugs are Bone China, plastic mixing bowls, and non-stick ovenware. All easy to care for & use!

Upvote 0

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Another vote for Corelle - we have had ours for 3 years now and its still as good as new. One item broke a while back but they happily sent a replacement.

Upvote 0

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I'm also a big fan of Corelle. Very robust, lightweight and thin so stacks better. I use the cheap cupboard lining non slip stuff in strips between each piece. Have dropped a plate on a couple of occasions but no damage incurred.

Upvote 0
Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
Yes..... We have Corelle crockery. Ditched the mugs as they are simply stoneware, but the plates bowls etc are both light and strong
Same as, the plates and bowls are great, lightweight, durable and so much better to eat off than the melamine. But the drinking mugs are a bit chunky.

Alan.

Upvote 0

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Ikea China. They do the same stuff for years so if something breaks easy to replace but so far, touch wood, nothing has broken. Oh and a wooden plate rack and some of the non slip stuff is all the packing we do as well.

Upvote 0

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
When next you go to Spain or France look at the Arcopal/ Arco range - or similar local equivalent- crockery. Considerably cheaper than Corelle, made using the same materials, and strong enough to stand being dropped from the draining board of the van onto a concrete hardstanding without damage. We have not had a breakage in the 11 years we have had them.

They are used by restaurants in France and Spain because they are so very durable and cheap. Two weeks ago, in Carrefour, I bought 2 bigger soup dishes for a euro each. Ours are plain white but there are patterned ones.

Upvote 0

graham&shirley

Free Member
Jul 1, 2014
Preston lancashire
Funster No
MH
RV A class
Exp
We use Corella and have been building up the set, we went for the ones with no mug's so 4 dinner plates 4 luncheon plates and 4 dishes. we now have pasta bowls serving plates etc. Keeps the food nice and hot also

Upvote 0

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
We have correlle in our villa in Florida that we rent out.

Had it for 10 years now, no chips or breaks. When we go in December I will be bringing a set back for the motorhome as it costs buttons in Walmart.

Jen

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Ye

Had it for 10 years now, no chips or breaks. When we go in December I will be bringing a set back for the motorhome as it costs buttons in Walmart.

Jen
yes thats where we bought ours, I was so excited to see them so cheap and nice patterns :)

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

Jen
Yep, my set cost $28 plus sales tax in Houston........

Upvote 0

Gloombusters

Free Member
Jun 28, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 454
Exp
30+ years
We have Corelle plates and they are great. Light, durable and ok to use in the microwave (which you can't do with melamine). Would definitely recommend.

Reactions: SMB
Upvote 0

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Could I ask peoples opinions as to the robustness of Corelle dining ware please? We have been using the same old melamine stuff since we started tugging 20 years ago. Now we have a motorhome, I think its time for an upgrade!

Twenty years? We're still using our melaware set from 1975 which was bought for our trailer tent trip to Norway. We do use china mugs for our beverage though now. :LOL:

Upvote 0

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Twenty years? We're still using our melaware set from 1975 which was bought for our trailer tent trip to Norway. We do use china mugs for our beverage though now. :LOL:

Did you buy the melamine in Scandinavia ? We have a set of Danish melamine mugs and plates that we bought while camping there in the 70s. Check them out on the internet: you might be as surprised as I was by what they are selling for now.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back