Where To Go?? (1 Viewer)

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
We are planning a 4 week trip beginning around 6th July. No ferry booked as yet!
We normally prefer not to plan but we are taking our friends' tent and they intend flying out to join us for 2 weeks beginning 13th July. Therefore we need a campsite as opposed to aires (high season too!). We don't mind where we go but it needs to have an airport within an hour or so drive and must be somewhere hot (so thinking south of France or Spain but are open to suggestions). Any recommendations gratefully received, especially if anyone knows any good campsites.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
How long will your friends be with you and what do you all like doing? How many travelling seats do you have in your mh?

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Bergerac? Great airport Ryan air flights. Loads of campsites within 1 hour drive

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Mattyjwr - probably 10 days at least. They can't do 4 weeks so can't travel with us.
parknride - Bergerac has been mentioned. Do you know any campsites? We try to avoid the big commercial ones, especially in high season.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I would plan it around low cost flight destinations. Italy/ Bergmo a good one..plenty in France. our kids have flown to Croatia and joined us for a few weeks and fly to Italy most years as well

Alsace nice in the summer..lots of good cheap municipals. not sure re airports

Last edited:

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Can't recommend any but if you look on Google camping l,etang de bazange comes up, looks nice. Depends what you want. There is also camping at montbazillac, the vineyard with château but that's out in the sticks and probably too quiet.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Mattyjwr - probably 10 days at least. They can't do 4 weeks so can't travel with us.
parknride - Bergerac has been mentioned. Do you know any campsites? We try to avoid the big commercial ones, especially in high season.

I was wondering if you might consider a two site holiday - 5 days in one place exploring the chateaux, vin yards etc of the Loire valley and 5 days somewhere else (Dordogne or similar). Your friends could fly in to one airport and out of another.

We've not been to France as early as you but have spent the last three years there during the last two weeks of July and haven't had any issue finding pitches in smaller sites (we've no idea what the big ones are like).

OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Yes we would definitely consider 2 sites. Did you book in advance? Normally we don't but are conscious of French school holidays at this time of year. We also prefer smaller sites.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Nimes airport is serviced by Ryanair. Saintes-Maries-sur-mer is hot and less than an hour from the airport. I've just spent a very pleasant 5 days at Grau d'Agde. Camping La Pepiniere. Small site but well positioned for Cap d'Agde, Grau d'Agde or Agde town itself. We also went on boat cruise along part of the Canal du midi. Let me know if you require more info.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Yes we would definitely consider 2 sites. Did you book in advance? Normally we don't but are conscious of French school holidays at this time of year. We also prefer smaller sites.

I've never booked for French sites in advance but haven't been there in early July, only mid-late but not any had any issues getting a pitch.

OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Nimes airport is serviced by Ryanair. Saintes-Maries-sur-mer is hot and less than an hour from the airport. I've just spent a very pleasant 5 days at Grau d'Agde. Camping La Pepiniere. Small site but well positioned for Cap d'Agde, Grau d'Agde or Agde town itself. We also went on boat cruise along part of the Canal du midi. Let me know if you require more info.

Hi and thanks for that, it could be useful. Our friends are now booked and flying to Bergarac but considering a 2 site stay your suggestion of Grau d'Agde could be interesting - any other site details please?
The cruise on Canal du Midi sounds good to.
Cheers
John

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back