Is A Separate Tent Setup Within The Pitch A Pup Or An Awning, Or Neither? (1 Viewer)

Dave de

Free Member
Jan 3, 2015
Hants
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all.
For storage reasons we wanted to pitch a tent next to our motor home, store bikes and outside equipment while we drive out and about. If we attach it, somehow, to our wind out awning will this be considered an extra charge for motor home plus tent.? What constitutes a pup tent, in real terms?

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Depends entirely on the site in question. Some will allow a pup tent on a pitch with a motorhome at no extra cost while other sites will (apparently) charge extra if you dare to wind out your Fiamma/Omnistor awning. Speak to the owners/wardens of the site(s) you intend to stay at.

D.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
it depends what you want to use it for, let anyone sleep or live in it then it is an extra unit and charged as such, however as a bike cover, no charge, pup tent is considered to be a 2 man small ridge tent.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
We have never been charged for pup tent we pitch close to van as is easier to access
for bits and bobs .

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
If it's just the roll out awning with no sides etc no charge but if it's got the sides and legs to the floor we would charge. We would charge for a pup tent on the pitch even though no one sleeping in it.
I think it does depend from site to site.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we was on an aire in normandy last week and one of the french put a pup tent between ours and his van for one of his boys to sleep in

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Surley leaving your bikes in a tent they would not be insured?
Charges for pup ents would only apply to the Uk, abroad you pay for the pitch and do what you like on it.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Depends what site, and sometimes who serves you.

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
If it's just the roll out awning with no sides etc no charge but if it's got the sides and legs to the floor we would charge. We would charge for a pup tent on the pitch even though no one sleeping in it.
I think it does depend from site to site.

How do you justify that? If you've paid for a pitch you should be able to put whatever you like in it as long as there's no extra people. It's not costing you any more. How is a roll out awning with sides any different to one without sides? Most roll out awnings have legs to the floor?

If I ever come to the Isle of Mull, I'll be careful which campsite I use.

OP
OP
Dave de

Dave de

Free Member
Jan 3, 2015
Hants
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
I don't understand the rationale behind the extra charges. As some have said, abroad you pay for a pitch and that's it. Why in the UK are we all being charged for extras for the same size pitch!!

I understand about fire safety between units, but it annoys me when I get charged for a roll out awning, whether the legs are down or not. Seems abit money making to me. Rant over.....for now.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I don't understand the rationale behind the extra charges. As some have said, abroad you pay for a pitch and that's it. Why in the UK are we all being charged for extras for the same size pitch!!

I understand about fire safety between units, but it annoys me when I get charged for a roll out awning, whether the legs are down or not. Seems abit money making to me. Rant over.....for now.
Simple RIB (rip off Britian).

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
How do you justify that? If you've paid for a pitch you should be able to put whatever you like in it as long as there's no extra people. It's not costing you any more. How is a roll out awning with sides any different to one without sides? Most roll out awnings have legs to the floor?

If I ever come to the Isle of Mull, I'll be careful which campsite I use.

I'm not saying I agree with all the costs but we have to abide by the costs setup by the owner. There is a lot of research done each autumn/winter checking what other sites charge in our area, including the CC sites etc.

We are open about our charges, and the charges for extras, the more you have the more you pay and the same in reverse.

It's about choice, I myself when searching for a site to stay on if they want to charge me extra for our car and the trailer and some say oh you'll have to have pay for 2 pitch's. I swiftly move along to a site that won't charge for them usually a nice small CL somewhere.

Pricing is always a sensitive subject. Most of our customers when they get here and see what we can offer them say we are good value for money. But some say otherwise.

OP
OP
Dave de

Dave de

Free Member
Jan 3, 2015
Hants
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
I respect your views however, if more owners made 1 charge for the plot then others might follow. If we all turned our back on these sites, they would either go bust or change for the better. It is off course your choice to charge, but ours to say no thanks.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Using a roll out awning takes no more space than the space of the pitch you would be on anyway, why on earth charge more even if you use sides to it? That as well as charging for dogs annoy me.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I will simply not stop at a campsite that applies extras, if I did get charged never would I go back.
One charge for all, where does it stop? More for a big van, less for a small van, etc

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Caravan and car parked beside it......no charge ( I think) Motorhome awning ........charge.......Errr! Why?

I will not wind out my awning if I have to pay! End of!

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I respect your views however, if more owners made 1 charge for the plot then others might follow. If we all turned our back on these sites, they would either go bust or change for the better. It is off course your choice to charge, but ours to say no thanks.
we don't have marked out plots, no charge for extras like an awning, tow car, dogs, or different times of the year, BUT some people do take the mickey turning up with a marquee and 20 people then expecting only to pay £7 for one tent. Hence the two adults plus children per unit. I don't think we are being unreasonable. so we charge per unit not per pitch as there is no size restriction or lines to park within.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back