Eurotunnel France. (1 Viewer)

Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
Just boarded train to head up to Misterton.
Anyone coming back today don't get stuck in the freight lane leaving the motorway.
Migrants all over the place getting into trucks. Not a nice place to be.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We have booked the tunnel for next month and starting to think it's a bad idea.. and certainly not relishing the return trip..

If this situation is ongoing I'll be looking for an alternative crossing .. It was on the news that a lot of fright companies are now using Dunkirk ..

These people need rounded up and sent home.. they are illegal and why we put up with it defies logic.. send in the army and lets clear the port out.. transport them back whence they came..

the situation is untenable.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
"These people need rounded up and sent home.."

The problem is that they are travelling without passports and will not tell anyone where, "Home" is.

So, where do you send them?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
I always return through dunkirk & so glad i did so for this summers jaunt,, can't do with the queing at calais even with no migrants there.
I agree with you Jim,, there needs to be an army base or something there to secure the area properly. Send them all back to where they appear to come from with a stiff boot up their behinds.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
"These people need rounded up and sent home.."

The problem is that they are travelling without passports and will not tell anyone where, "Home" is.

So, where do you send them?

If they refuse to say where 'home' is then put them in a secure camp until they remember.. simple.

why do they travel across several European counties hell bent on getting to the UK ?

Because they know we are a 'soft touch' .. as another post said.. the UK is "Treasure Island".. they are told our streets are paved with gold, a free house awaits with generous financial benefits..and settling in allowance.. 'bring it on' they say

This perception has to change.. The UK has to be made unattractive so they don't come.. those who persist, send them back to sort out their own counties mess.. instead of tuning ours into a ghetto like the one they left.. the UK is FULL .

As I said, the situation is untenable and we need someone with balls to sort it out.. and fast..

Last edited:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Lorry drivers speaking on Jeremy Vine show yesterday described being threatened by illegals carrying iron bars. One owner driver told how they slash the tarpaulin cover of his tipper lorry which costs him £50 per repair. A woman motorist described how they were laughing when failing to get into lorries or cars.
If they are illegal in France, causing damage and threatening motorists, why are they simply turned out onto the road to do it all over again?
driving through France, do you see groups walking towards Calais? Lorry drivers described seeing none until they reached the port, so how do these hundreds of mostly men get to Calais?
This is just another form of trafficking, with a few making a fortune out of the many. By doing nothing all the politicians are encouraging the trafficking.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
"If they refuse to say where 'home' is then put them in a secure camp until they remember.. simple."

To you and me, Nightmare.

To them, who are playing a long game, not a problem.
They are in Europe, being fed, watered, bunked, in accommodation???

What is their worry?

I'm not being ar$y here. I'm just pointing out the way THEY see it.
That is not from the prospect of someone that has a job/pension, a roof over their head and a few quid in their pockets.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I'm just pointing out the way THEY see it.

Frankly.. I really don't give a monkeys how THEY see it.. as far as I'm concerned they are illegals breaking the law.. feeding and clothing may be the 'humanitarian' thing to do.. but it's not helping.. and sending the Royal Navy to pluck them from the sea is only encouraging more to set sail for Treasure Island..

what do you suggest ?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I really need to be booking a crossing anytime now so this is a nightmare:( I was proposing to use the tunnel as travelling with the dog but I certainly don't want to be paying their astronomical prices:cry: & then finding myself being held up/fighting with a load of looky-looky men.:mad: Looks like it is going to be the boat from Dunkirk again.:) Even then, if there are still problems it means I'll have to detour inland & get to Dunkirk from the Belgian side.

Frankly.. I really don't give a monkeys how THEY see it.. as far as I'm concerned they are illegals breaking the law.. feeding and clothing may be the 'humanitarian' thing to do.. but it's not helping.. and sending the Royal Navy to pluck them from the sea is only encouraging more to set sail for Treasure Island..

what do you suggest ?
The RN shouldn't be picking them up & depositing them in Italy , who don't want them, but returning them to North African ports. & before we say "they won't say where they are from " I don't care. They'll be offloaded at the nearest port ,offshore & have to row themselves back. Anyone objecting I'd give a life jacket & help them over the side.(y)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
As Dave said, there is a disparity between what they would receive in UK as opposed to the rest of Europe.
We (UK) have to have a system that does not give out the benefits and therefore does not attract the illegals.

That's why they want to get here.
I would rather live in France if given a choice (and I had nothing) and the benefits were the same.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Europe and the UK has to act. If we paid a country such as Algeria to set up camps funded by Europe then we could send all these people there and process them. If they decide not to stay in these camps then they are back on the continent most of them started in. We should also refuse to deal with anyone who declares themselves stateless. We could empty Calais in a few weeks and the droves coming from Libya would dry up too.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We came in Tuesday and although a couple of hours late no bother booked to go back next Thursday, not worried at the moment,no change of plan will let you know

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Cant understand why the police arnt shooting them surly its illegal to get on lorrys like looting

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
For those panicking about their personal safety don’t. There is no need to worry about using the tunnel. There is hysteria about a few hundred desperate people living rough in Calais. They are illegal yes, but they are not dangerous criminals. I heard an interview this morning with a French woman who lives next door to the jungle who is quite happy for them to use her outside tap.

As to clearing them out, I suspect that without the full cooperation of the French authorities (who seem to be blaming us) it would not go down well. :)

Dick

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
For those panicking about their personal safety don’t. There is no need to worry about using the tunnel. There is hysteria about a few hundred desperate people living rough in Calais. They are illegal yes, but they are not dangerous criminals. I heard an interview this morning with a French woman who lives next door to the jungle who is quite happy for them to use her outside tap.

As to clearing them out, I suspect that without the full cooperation of the French authorities (who seem to be blaming us) it would not go down well. :)

Dick

As far as I can work out, the French think its all the fault of the UK, yet about a week ago when the question of intervention by UK authorities was posed to a French official he stated in no uncertain terms any intervention by UK forces of any kind would not be deemed welcome or acceptable !!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
. There is hysteria about a few hundred desperate people living rough in Calais. They are illegal yes, but they are not dangerous criminals.
a few hundred ?

there are several thousand.. perhaps as many as ten thousand living rough , and it's not hysteria, I watched these 'not dangerous' criminals climbing into open windows of truck cabs, breaking into containers, slashing curtain-sliders.. etc etc .. motohomes are easy targets..

they will stop at nothing to get a free trip to Treasure Island .. many come from counties where the values of human life are not respected.. killing and looting is normal... and this is not hearsay.. I lived in S Africa. they don't give a toss or think twice highjacking your car, raping your wife and robbing stabbing you.. it happens daily.They do not live by our values.. and they bring their values to our streets..

We have sent £Trillions in aid to many of these countries,. and for what.. ? To support despotic governments..buy fleets of Mercs, built palaces.. while the people live in ghettos .. these peoples need to rise up and oust the oppressors.. start to support themselves, not flee to us to sponge..

So no more bleeding hearts.. handing out food parcels and tooth brushes.. :rolleyes:

we have a big problem that needs resolved, not nurtured with hand-outs and sympathy..

Last edited:

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Silly question, we return from France via the tunnel tomorrow morning and will be running the gauntlet for the first time, are there any specifics I should be aware of to avoid sitting in freight queues? Is that where MHs are directed as "high vehicles", or can I jump in with the cars?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Silly question, we return from France via the tunnel tomorrow morning and will be running the gauntlet for the first time, are there any specifics I should be aware of to avoid sitting in freight queues? Is that where MHs are directed as "high vehicles", or can I jump in with the cars?
No, just stick to passenger lane, you don't have height barriers till you are well inside

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
This idea may become popular.. .. and it's not a joke.. I first saw it in RSA..
Butane flame thrower..
car+Flamethrower.jpg

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Ho

Dick
How do you know they are not dangerous, they are not the same people then who turn up here appearing on crimewatch , in our newspapers committing crimes against the elderly , living on the black market not paying tax . Your posts smack of NIMBYism

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I have seen would-be immigrants interviewed on the tele a couple of times, they never seem to ask the obvious question - 'why do you want to get to the UK'? Yes, we all assume its for our supposedly generous benefits but is it?

If they do manage to get on a lorry and arrive in the UK what happens to them? I suspect they are released after a bit of form filling after promising to come back in a couple of months, yeah right.

Are these people 'entitled' to benefits in France or any of the other countries they have travelled through? In the UK we seem to have EU laws which say we have to look after and support them. Do those living in camps near Calais get handouts from the French taxpayer?

Paul

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
a few hundred ?

there are several thousand.. perhaps as many as ten thousand living rough , and it's not hysteria, I watched these 'not dangerous' criminals climbing into open windows of truck cabs, breaking into containers, slashing curtain-sliders.. etc etc .. motohomes are easy targets..

they will stop at nothing to get a free trip to Treasure Island .. many come from counties where the values of human life are not respected.. killing and looting is normal... and this is not hearsay.. I lived in S Africa. they don't give a toss or think twice highjacking your car, raping your wife and robbing stabbing you.. it happens daily.They do not live by our values.. and they bring their values to our streets..

We have sent £Trillions in aid to many of these countries,. and for what.. ? To support despotic governments..buy fleets of Mercs, built palaces.. while the people live in ghettos .. these peoples need to rise up and oust the oppressors.. start to support themselves, not flee to us to sponge..

So no more bleeding hearts.. handing out food parcels and tooth brushes.. :rolleyes:

we have a big problem that needs resolved, not nurtured with hand-outs and sympathy..
Yes Jim,
Many many thousands.... The woods are full, viewed it from 2000 feet a few weeks ago and it's bound to come to a head soon.
These people are desperate, they left countries where nothing is the norm. Even Calais is better !
As for sending them back to Africa, that would be a plan....but
The UK must accept a degree of blame....
The benefits/housing/health schemes here are far too lucrative to the "rest of the world"..... Sort that issue and the migrant issue will dissipate.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back