goldenline

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
Port Grimaud France
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
As the temperature where we live is now in the 30s the fridge is struggling to keep things really cold. Yesterday I spotted someone who had removed the lower vent and placed a fan at the entry.Would this improve cooling or does anyone know of other methods
Alan

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
As a temporary emergency measure it will help.. but for a permanent solution.. you want

a 12v fan or fans in the top vent exhausting (sucking out) the hot air, it works very well..

you can buy a kit for about £40 .. or if handy, DIY with 2 x 12v 120mm computer fans, a thermal switch and a three position On/Off/Auto switch for under £20 .. all on ebay

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
You can buy ready made units or use 12 volt computer fans BUT they should suck up at the top vent NOT blow up from the bottom. The latter could push fumes into the van if like most it is not sealed properly

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
goldenline

goldenline

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
Port Grimaud France
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
You can buy real made units or use 12 volt computer fans BUT they should suck up at the top vent NOT blow up from the bottom. The latter could push fumes into the van if like most it is not sealed properly
Any idea where to buy ready made unit, I need to do something as we are likely to have these temperatures for the next 3 months
Alan

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
As a temporary emergency measure it will help.. but for a permanent solution.. you want

a 12v fan or fans in the top vent exhausting (sucking out) the hot air, it works very well..

you can buy a kit for about £40 .. or if handy, DIY with 2 x 12v 120mm computer fans, a thermal switch and a three position On/Off/Auto switch for under £20 .. all on ebay
Can you point me to the thermal switch please?

Thanks.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I have used a twin PC fan kit before now, similar to one pictured in previous link. also hung a desk fan by bungy over vent, both work well. What works a lot better is a properly installed fridge.

if temps high usually best to run on gas as it tends to be more efficent

escapee

Free Member
Aug 18, 2013
northants
Funster No
MH
ewift escape 686
Exp
since 2009
hi
what ive just done is fitted a small fan to the inside of the top vent driven by a small solar panel which ive fitted to the roof (when the sun shines the fan works and visa versa -simples)with a switch to turn it off when in storage

OP
OP
goldenline

goldenline

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
Port Grimaud France
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Have fitted the vento fan as recommended by Andy and the result is amazing,considering we have 38degrees here at the moment the fridge is now really cold. At 30€ it is a bargain
Alan

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
At 30€ it is a bargain
Indeed :cry:
Mine was working top drawer during the 40plus heatwave in France but it has a new cooling unit fitted finally after nearly two years of under performing. Dometic are not my choice but there is no alternative given the exact cabinet dimensions they have us over a barrel

Montybe

Free Member
Nov 13, 2012
Somerset UK
Funster No
MH
Lowline Mototrek
Exp
40 years on and off
Just bought 2 fan kits, one for my Dometic Absorption Fridge (Motorhome) and one for the Waeco Compressor Fridge (Campervan) to provide extra ventilation.
The Absorption Fridge is rubbish and doesn't work well at 25deg or higher. Uses massive amount of electricity from the leisure battery, so stationary without hook-up it has to run on gas. On site it is very poor and struggles to meet hygiene food storage requirements above moderate ambient temperatures. Dometic recommended the fan.
The compressor fridge works a treat, but in the south of France it shoves out so much heat the surrounding cabinet needs to be cooled! Uses so little electricity I can go 48 hours on the leisure battery before hook-up is necessary. Downside, it costs £600! (Waeco CD 30)

Fan plus mounting bracket and including thermostat (50 Deg). (REICH Universal Fan, 553-081510)
£24.26 ea from Davan Caravans:
http://www.davan.co/
Item 2015, Johnnie Longdon Ltd:
http://www.caravanspares.com/index.php

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The problem I've been having (I imagine like many) is that the top (outlet) vent is not positioned at the top of the space where the warm air collects. The panel which seals the space above the fridge from the vent space is just painted metal which absorbs the heat and transfers it into the space above the fridge. As a result the draining board and fridge top get hot.

The solution I've tried today is to fix a 12v computer cooling fan to the top vent to help pull hot air out of the vent space. However, my power source is the spare set of terminals on my solar panel controller so I can switch it on or off there. I've hidden the wires behind the door seal. The only problem with it is it hums and sets up a vibration in the vent panel that resonates in the van sides. A bit anti-social on a crowded aire. I've reduced the noise a bit by mounting the fan to the vent on strips of rubber cut from a pencil eraser, but I'm wondering if a blob of sealant might be better.

I reckon what might help is some sort of tinfoil-lined curved panel to deflect the heat straight out of the vent rather than letting it collect in the space above vent height. I'm looking into suitable materials. I have no intention of messing with the existing panel that keeps the CO fumes out - I just want something in front of it that shifts the heat from the fridge fins a bit better.

Another measure I've taken is to remove the decorative plywood fascia from the fridge door, back it with tin foil and replace it. Hopefully that'll help stop some of the heat from the habitation area warming the inside of the fridge.

We've had temperatures in the low 30s in places we've been to recently and the thermometer in the fridge door shows it struggles to stay more than 20 degrees below ambient temperature. It's a bit cooler at the back and the freezer's never failed but we've been having to shift ice packs between freezer and main compartment on a daily basis. I suspect that the factory fit fridges in most Italian campers made for UK export aren't intended for use in southern Europe.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back