St Piran

Free Member
May 22, 2012
North Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
Can anyone give us some tips on keeps a supply of clean clothes whilst traveling.

Hot water or cold water?
Soap powder or nothing?
Drying when weather is poor?

What are the outside laundries like - The ones you see at French supermarkets?

Many thanks in advance.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
we use washing liquid from lidl.
works atreat in our twuntub .
doesnt every one have a washing machine in their camper . hee hee .
local laundry is too expensive for us .

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
cold water plus cold water bio powder, half fill a bucket insert washing then fix lid. Stand it in the shower tray before driving to the next site, then empty and rinse. Wring out and hang to dry. Failing that find a laundromat, but simple enough to take sufficient for 3 weeks at a time anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes , i have an ally posser came from germany . that and a big rino bucket works a treat . if you have spare room a mangle off ebay helps . over the years have had washboards . single tub machines . used laundries , could almost start a museum . ha ha .
nice acme wringer with stand . takes big sheets etc.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have aprox 6 weeks worth of clothes. I do a laundrette run once a month usually but can stretch it a bit. In emergencies I have a twin tub in the back of the van but that is a lot of work.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
When in France the larger Intermarche or Super U stores have laundry facilities. The machines are larger (up to 18gk ) and more efficient than those on sites and they're cheaper too. So every 10 days or so, one of us does the laundry while the other does the shopping we than have lunch or a snack and by that time all is washed and dry. properly dry. Costs around 12 euro for 18 gk wash and dry.

Much cheaper than going to a site and paying for a pitch and sometimes over the top for a small machine and a dryer that isn't that good. You also have the advantage of parking within a few yards of the machines unlike on a site where you might have to lug your washing a long way from your pitch

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I read somewhere that some camp sites let pay a few Euros and then can use their showers and launderette :)

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I use the laundry in the town I'm in. Just like being a student. Yellow pages/Google gives the address.(y)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We do just as iandsm does. We also take the opportunity to fill up with fuel and gas and empty everything stinky out. I've also been known to wash the van while the clothes are drying.
We tried a campsite laundry once. Domestic washing machine that took forever to wash and dry and cost a fortune.
If you don't need shopping, Sunday is best.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We take enough cloths to keep us going for a couple of weeks and then visit the laundrette when we run out. Wash and tumble dry and fold away. Sometimes need 2 machines because of different wash temperatures (I am told). Much easier than this hand washing. We rarely use camp sites nowadays so we just use one in town or at a supermarket.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I bought an antique posser on Ebay.

My washing procedure:

I have a large tubtrug and 2 smaller ones. I use the 2 smaller ones to collect water from the site tap as I can carry them easily like a bag.

I use warm water & my usual liquid detergent in the large tub - posser the first batch of white articles, place them in spin drier (bought for under £100 from currys), spin out the soapy water into smaller trug and pour soapy water back into big trug.

Add coloured items into large trug and repeat process.

Get clean water and pour some into spinner, spin, repeat, spin and then take out. Items are really dry - more so than with an automatic machine.

I can do a fairly large wash in this way as the soapy water is recycled.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I bought an antique posser on Ebay.

My washing procedure:

I have a large tubtrug and 2 smaller ones. I use the 2 smaller ones to collect water from the site tap as I can carry them easily like a bag.

I use warm water & my usual liquid detergent in the large tub - posser the first batch of white articles, place them in spin drier (bought for under £100 from currys), spin out the soapy water into smaller trug and pour soapy water back into big trug.

Add coloured items into large trug and repeat process.

Get clean water and pour some into spinner, spin, repeat, spin and then take out. Items are really dry - more so than with an automatic machine.

I can do a fairly large wash in this way as the soapy water is recycled.
My god that sound like hard work. And not many of us have the room for trugs let alone a spin dryer.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Hi Peter,

No, it doesn't take long - I've described every step and probably given the impression that it takes ages. I do a large wash in around 20 mins.

As for space... the spin drier sits inside the large tub, the smaller ones sit inside the drier - so doesn't take up much space. I know not everyone has massive amounts of space but plenty of folk do and I thought might be interested in the way I do it.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Hi Peter,

No, it doesn't take long - I've described every step and probably given the impression that it takes ages. I do a large wash in around 20 mins.

As for space... the spin drier sits inside the large tub, the smaller ones sit inside the drier - so doesn't take up much space. I know not everyone has massive amounts of space but plenty of folk do and I thought might be interested in the way I do it.

That's pretty much how we do ours, little twin tub we've had for years and a couple of buckets does everything except really heavy towels. We have a big garage and it sits in the corner with the booze crate and bbq on top of it.
On a 3 month or longer trip we'll occasionally use a site laundry for the heavy items or to have a big spring clean and washing day otherwise the little twin tub suffices.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Daughter bought a small twintub ages ago when the kids were all little and 10 of the family used to go on carp fishing holidays - they still have it in their caravan and we would be welcome to borrow it, but find it easy enough esp since we usually stay on aires, to use Laundromats wherever we happen to be when we have bed linen and towels, we only carry a couple of changes of both plus eg beach towels.

Smalls we wash in a bucket as we go, retractable line over the shower- as fitted by Pilote at the factory - dead useful.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Just arrived at the Motorhome aire in Neufchâtel en Bray there is a washing machine and dryer here.
It's a lovely little aire at the side of the campsite.:)
And free wi-fi too(y)
Yep. lovely Aire isn't it. When we were there in April the paying machine wasn't working and had to phone the owner to let us out. Has he got it going again?

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Yep. lovely Aire isn't it. When we were there in April the paying machine wasn't working and had to phone the owner to let us out. Has he got it going again?
Not sure ....a German couple were just leaving and they seemed to be having trouble so he came and let let them out..but I think the machine had worked it seemed to be something wrong with the card.....we will find out tomorrow when we leave:)

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
We left there last Wednesday and, as we left, the rep from the barrier firm arrived with his computer to try and get the system working. Excellent aire, beautifully maintained with one very frustrated owner. Hope it has been sorted. We felt for the owner !

Did you cycle the Voie Verte across the road ?

OT: I try to keep on top of the washing while we are away by doing lots of little hand washes in a bucket, using the same bio laundry liquid that we use for the loo. This has the advantage that it doesn't make any foam so is easy to rinse with less water used. Bed clothes and towels are done in a launderette or campsite laundry though I don' t like the latter as you often get white scum left on clothes because people have used powder and it has not dissolved properly - I think. I only carry one spare set of bed clothes and towels no matter how long we are away for but do carry far more clothes than I ever wear.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
hand wash every few days and use washing up liquid. hot water if available....then..... use a machine on site for sheets and towels

superfozzy

Free Member
Jun 21, 2015
worksop
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
I use chemical free soap nuts. They are very economical and environmentally friendly. My husband made me a washing machine and I bought a mangle from ebay. Job done.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back