Carrying And Securing Bikes. (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Bought our van last week and are booked to go south this week on Thursday. We are brand new (wet behind the ears !) so would like some advice on how the rear rack works. Only thing I know is that it folds down. So how exactly do I secure the bike ? Its just one bike . Also how do we lock a bike on so as to hopefully stop thieves from stealing it ? When out and about I would lock my bike inside but its while parked up on site or while in say a service area ? My bike is quite an expensive Specialzed and I dont want to loose it !

The rack.

Thanks !

kalamitty

Free Member
Nov 16, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 89
  • fold the rack down, and place the bike in one of the channels and the straps slide along the channel untill in the center of the wheel base then strap around the wheelrim should just click in, then use the top holding device just unscrew the big knurled knob thingy and adjust to fit the bike crossframe. and then same again click the strap around the frame. i use a chain and padlock to lock it to the rack. also fiamma do a cover so no one can see the make of bike. hope this helps.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
You could try to rig some type of personal attack alarm on it as well so that if it comes off the rack the pin is pulled and an extremely loud siren goes off. :)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
I drilled a hole in the back door and fitted an eye bolt for the cable lock to run through fiamma do suggest bolting the rail of the rack for better security

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
Extra straps and extra locks. You can never have too many securing devices. Also to eliminate movement a couple of the thick rubber bands (the type used for tent tie downs) wrapped around the brake lever stops any wheel movement.

Aug 21, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A/T Impala 615
Exp
I'm a slightly less experienced newbie and still learning
To add to the post from Ranger I have used "toe clip straps" to do the same job, very easy to tension.
Ray
Nine tenths of wisdom is being wise in time - T Roosevelt

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We use the Fiamma fasteners as described above, then thread a combination cable lock through the bike frames and the Fiamma frame.

In addition, (belt, braces and piece of string?), we use several webbing straps around the frames, lash the two bikes wheels together and finish with a couple of bungees.

If they get through that lot they are welcome!:whistle:

Seriously, our bikes are fairly standard affairs and unlikely to attract a thief looking for a "high end" bike. I genuinely believe that you cannot make bike racks thief proof, you just make it as difficult as you can for them.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Hi Charlie, I bought one of these recently:

http://lockalarm.com/products/all/heavy-duty-lock-alarm/

I wanted an alarmed lock to complement my existing cable locks, it will activate if someone tampers with the locking mechanism or cable. You can get ones which will activate if some one moves it but I wanted to be able to travel with it attached to the bike and rack so opted for this one. I bought mine from Amazon.es as I was staying at a Spanish campsite for a few weeks although it was delivered from Austria I believe. If it has activated whilst I've been driving I haven't heard it, then again I do like my music blasting when motoring (y):whistle:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
To add to the post from Ranger I have used "toe clip straps" to do the same job, very easy to tension.
Ray
Nine tenths of wisdom is being wise in time - T Roosevelt

I put a light ratchet strap over the bike and around the carrier,,,holds it perfect,,,BUSBY.

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
Securing to vehicle sounds a good idea, we had rack where I made sure bikes were well secured and locked to rack only to realise only 2 small bolts holding rack to vehicle so whole lot could easily be removed at once.
Not good with your expensive bike if parked in quiet location.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back