Compulsory Microchipping Of Dogs (1 Viewer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
This is something I was not aware of (unsurprising perhaps as I don't have a dog) but just happened to read about elsewhere. Posted just in case any dog owners on here are also unaware.

Under The Microchipping of Dogs (England) Regulations 2015,
Obligation to microchip dogs

3.—(1) Subject to a certificate issued under paragraph (2) or (3), from 6th April 2016 every keeper of a dog which has not been implanted with a microchip by that date—
(a)which is older than 8 weeks; and
(b)which is not a certified working dog for the purposes of section 6(3) of the Animal Welfare Act 2006(1),
must ensure that it is microchipped.
(2) Paragraph (1) does not apply for as long as a veterinary surgeon certifies, on a form approved by the Secretary of State, that a dog should not be microchipped for reasons of the animal’s health.
(3) Subject to paragraph (4), from 6th April 2016 a keeper who imports a dog must ensure that the dog is microchipped in accordance with paragraph (5) within 30 days of importing the dog unless a veterinary surgeon certifies, on a form approved by the Secretary of State, that the dog should not be microchipped for reasons of the animal’s health.
(4) A certificate issued under paragraph (2) or (3) must state the period for which the dog will be unfit to be microchipped.
(5) A dog is microchipped where—
(a)a microchip which complies with regulation 4 has been implanted in the dog; and
(b)the details set out in regulation 5 are recorded on a database by a database operator meeting the conditions set out in regulation 6.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Most responsible breeders are getting puppies chipped themselves now before they let them go to their new homes and have been doing so for a while. I know of a couple that have been trained to actually fit the chip themselves.

It can't be anything other than a good thing and I can't understand why it's taken so long to become compulsory.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Our doodle was allegedly chipped and spayed by the labradoodle trusts vet...a recognised charity.

Cant see any scar and received no chip certificate

amentalcat

Free Member
May 3, 2015
Herts, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
I'm a newbie
The problem will be with unscrupulous backstreet breeders that have a litter to get some cash :(. As has already been said, the majority of good breeders chip their litters now anyway. It is a good thing that there is now going to be amore of a legal standpoint about it from April next year, but I fear it will just mean that some people will flog their pups before the 8 week limit.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Our doodle was allegedly chipped and spayed by the labradoodle trusts vet...a recognised charity.

You won't see a scar, it's just an injection with a slightly bigger needle than normal. The chip is about the size of a grain of rice. You should have some paperwork though as the whole system is reliant on owners updating their details when necessary. I would be querying that with the charity as it's quite important. If she ever escapes and is scanned you want them to be contacting you and not someone else who may deny all knowledge.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You won't see a scar,
Sorry, maybe i wasnt clear.
i refered to a spaying scar, not the chip.

What i was getting at was, if she wasnt spayed (cant see how without a scar) then she may not be chipped either.

Looks like a trip to the vet then possibly a very strong letter to the charity and a part refund on the £300 adoption fee which included the cost of both chip and spay.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

You would definitely see a scar if she had been. Have you had her long enough so that she would have had a season by now?

Normally adaption and rescue centres are really hot on those two things so it's pretty bad if this one hasn't been bothering

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs

What i was getting at was, if she wasnt spayed (cant see how without a scar) then she may not be chipped either.

Looks like a trip to the vet then possibly a very strong letter to the charity and a part refund on the £300 adoption fee which included the cost of both chip and spay.

Any vet surgery will check for a chip for you. Takes seconds.
You would not necessarily see a scar for a spay op. Cass's scar ***was visible just for a week or so and I've never seen Holly's. How old is your dog? If over a year old and you've had her for 6 months and she's not come into season, then she's been spayed.
Once you have your dogs chip number you can register it so if your dog is found anywhere should be traceable back to you.

*** by scar I mean the op site, where she was cut and stitched was visible when I picked her up from the vets but it disappeared very quickly. Holly was spayed while she was waiting in Cyprus to be flown out to us. There's no visible evidence of any operation but she was definitely spayed!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999

Ask vet to scan at next visit. I've been in the same position as many rescue agencies retain 'ownership' and keep the certificates.

Edit: Oops too slow!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You would definitely see a scar if she had been. Have you had her long enough so that she would have had a season by now?

Normally adaption and rescue centres are really hot on those two things so it's pretty bad if this one hasn't been bothering
She's 10 to 11 months old.
no idea what age she would need to be for her first season.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just a thought.....

workshy chavs on the run down housing estates with the obligatory trophy dog......will they go to the expense of microchipping.....i doubt it.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
She's 10 to 11 months old.
no idea what age she would need to be for her first season.

Anytime from about 9 months onwards, they're all different. Some dogs might not have their first one until they are 2 or even older. I didn't realise she was a pup. If it was an older dog and you had had her for 6-9 months without her having one you would know she had been done as @Hollyberry said.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Just a thought.....

workshy chavs on the run down housing estates with the obligatory trophy dog......will they go to the expense of microchipping.....i doubt it.

And they are the ones that will more often that not be dogs that cause a problem or get loose and need to be identified. :mad:

It's not even that much of an expense really. My vet either does it as part of a starter pack for a puppy which includes injections, flea and worming treatments and health checkups or if you want to just pay for microchipping on its own I think it's about £15. That's one reason why breeders are doing it - the cost is almost negligible

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Just a thought.....

They've covered that.(y) If found to have no chip' dog is re-homed & owner shot.:D

Reactions: GJH
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I'd find that unacceptable if it was me.
They do it so they know the dog's OK - if they're never contacted they know it's with the person who adopted it. Some rescue agencies actually retain legal ownership of a re-homed dog. It has no effect on the new keeper unless the dog isn't properly cared for - at which point it can be re-claimed by the rescue agency without involving the Courts. Can't say any of it causes me a problem & I'm a serial dog adopter.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
My vet registered the wrong dog against the microchip :doh:
could have caused awful problems when traveling :crying: