Mastercard In Netherlands (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Just returned from a couple of weeks in the Netherlands and had a lot of problems using MasterCard debit cards whilst there, has anyone else experienced this. Our cards were not accepted in many places, both debit and credit cards.

Since our return I have been into both our banks and they can find no reason for this, it's not as if they were never accepted, just some places, though we could always seem to get cash from ATM's. Any comments?

Rgds
Bill

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Coincidentally I've just received a new debit card and there was a leaflet in with it saying that it is a good idea for people going abroad on holiday to let the bank know in advance. That way the account can be flagged in order to prevent possible problems.

I don't know whether that is the cause in your case but perhaps worth asking?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If a card is blocked for security reasons normally a message comes up on the terminal asking you to phone them. We used to use a Mastercard never had a problem, Only card we have had a problem with is a Nationwide Debit card at ING ATM's in Belgium & Holland works in all other ATM's.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Coincidentally I've just received a new debit card and there was a leaflet in with it saying that it is a good idea for people going abroad on holiday

Make sure you tell them you are going to Bruges for the fine beer and chocolate.

And Belgium Stew. A seriously rich meet stew that, sadly, would be finished off by Yorkshire Pudding but they have not worked that out.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Make sure you tell them you are going to Bruges for the fine beer and chocolate.

And Belgium Stew. A seriously rich meet stew that, sadly, would be finished off by Yorkshire Pudding but they have not worked that out.
Can't stand Belgian chocolate, far too sickly - and I bet their stews are nowhere near as good as the ones I make anyhow :LOL:

OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
On my return I went to the banks concerned and one said I should have registered my trip with them, the other didn't. My Mastercard Credit Card worked but both my Visa and Mastercard Debit cards wouldn't work, strange. Did enjoy some lovely beer as suggested above and thoroughly enjoyed the Dutch cycling experience, even managed to find an area with some notable hills, in Holland!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Used our Nationwide CC & DC all over Europe, the States & India never bothered to tell them & I don't use them in the UK so them often have months of inactivity & then used abroad, never had a problem.

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
We are currently in Holland and are also finding some shops do not take credit card's or debit card's, very frustrating, tesco CC advise you do not need to tell them of your trips abroad

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Phoned Mastercard as usual, to tell them where we were travelling for our last trip, no problem, went to RBS to check out the exchange rate, quite poor so I said to the teller I would get them elsewhere. She then asked if I wanted a "note" put on my account so I wouldn't have any problems with my debit card use abroad ? I said ok, so she asks where am I going. France, Belgium, Holland, Luxembourg and Germany. "Oh" she says, then wanted exact dates when we would be in each country, I said motorhoming doesn't work like that. She then says "Ok, so I'll put you down for one week in France and one week in Belgium then" As it was, I never used my debit card in case of problems, but my cc worked fine every time.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We both have tesco cc, never told them where we are, and never had one refused anywhere in europe

Ginge3685

Free Member
Jun 5, 2014
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
K
Only had a problem with MasterCard in a restaurant in Holland, had a great meal and then asked for the bill came to pay with the card, and couldn't the restaurant had just opened and had not got round to setting up to take cards............ luckily there was an ATM around the corner........problem solved!!!!!

Violet1

Free Member
Jul 4, 2015
March, Cambs
Funster No
MH
semi-integrated
Exp
i'm a newbie
Stayed with daughter in Utrecht , also had difficulty with cards in Albert hein supermarkets would only take Dutch cards most other places fuel etc were ok

Lunnie

Free Member
Dec 28, 2015
Derby
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2004
I have trouble with my debit visa card in a few places.....
But my partner who is dutch has the occasional problem here in the uk with his Mastro debit card...
I find Caxton fx pre loaded with euros the best way.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Not sure if the cause, it maybe that Belgium, Netherlands and Germany mostly use Maistro cards and often refuse Mastercard and Visa

Mother Ship

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Pilote 626D
Exp
Since 1986
We found both in Holland and Germany that it is not usual for shops, restaurants,campsites etc etc to take credit or debit cards for payments and taking only cash payments - it's a cultural thing and summed up perfectly
Quote from http://www.amsterdamtips.com/
The use of credit cards in Netherlands is not as well established as elsewhere with most payments being made by cash, debit cards or via internet banking.

The thrifty Dutch have much less of a consumer debt culture than say US, UK or Australia and many shops in Holland still do not accept credit card payments.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back