Rallies Rubbish / Recycling (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
when at home we now have bins for everything and are quite proud that we send more out as recycling than for landfill

while away at meets / rallies or sites, if there is no facility for recycling we take all that can be home with us, or if away search out the nearest recycle point

possibly I am keener on this than some / most that we rally with, we have three carrier bags of recycling to go into our recycling bins when we get home

my first point is what a shame that the organisers of larger rallies especially do not put at least glass recycling next to rubbish, cans plastic and cardboard would be nice but glass nearly essential, but sadly lacking at Stratford where I am now, although the rally pack does suggest there is recycling on site

now I appreciate that some full timers cant carry everything with them and need to leave rubbish when they can, also anybody going on to another site from here it would be unreasonable to take it there. But my guess is by far the majority leaving here have gone home, but the bin is full of stuff that could be recycled if taken home, glass being the most obvious, then plastic bottles next followed by cans, the bins are full of them

is it really just me, do people not see the problem that land fill is finite, I see it as lazy personally, but am willing to read other opinions :)

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
All the rallies I've been to are at sites which are non-domestic so any recycling they are able to do depends on what the contractor they use can or is willing to process. We were on a THS at a school recently where glass could not be left in either the recycling bin or the ordinary bin because of the waste contract. We only had one bottle and one jar as I recall so took them with us and recycled them at the next place we stopped at.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
If there was recycling bins on sites then I would use them but if not then the normal bin just gets used. Lack of thought really, never gave it any.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I get cross if there are not recycling bins on sites..... the only exception was Ravenglass C&CC site where they made a point of telling us that all rubbish went into a single bin as they paid to have it sorted off-site :)

Generally I leave non-recycle rubbish in the on-site bins and take home recycling stuff if there is no recycling at the site. Most sites do have recyle points though.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
I have asked Hartlepool Council for bins for the Hartlepool Rally. They will be providing the large bins normally use by commercial businesses and no recycling option is available. It's to do with the vehicles they use for collecting those types of bins.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Well @DavidG58 we are taking all our recycling home with us so that will be two big bags full and only two carrier bags of waste have gone to the bins on site.

I do agree with you that in general there could and should be more facilities for recycling.

Martin

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
We always recycle at the Ilfracombe rally though it does make a lot of extra work sorting even when separate bins are provided.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I think the recycling lobby have made us lazy and thoughtless.

It takes more energy to recycle something old into something new than it would to make the new from New materials.

But it takes less energy to re-use something than it does to walk to the recycling centre.

Reduce first, then re-use, as a last resort recycle.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We generally rally with CCC and there's not usually recycling facilities so we take everything home with us, keeping general waste separate from recycling.

Denise

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back