Gas Bbq Recommendations Please (1 Viewer)

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Hi,

We have a Weber charcoal BBQ but would like to get a gas one. Which make/model would you recommend? I'd like one that will roast as well.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
We, like many others (it seems), have the Cadac Safari chef.
Excellent bit of kit :)

Martin OSullivan

Free Member
Sep 7, 2013
Hornchurch Essex
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Self Built
Exp
Cadac carri chef, larger than the Safari model but it depends on how many you need to cook for

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The Cadac Safari is easy to use and clean afterwards. It's not a real BBQ I suppose but it allows you to cook outside. Only problem we have found is the flame gets blown out if it is turned down low and it is windy. We need to find some sort of windbreak.

The Weber go anywhere gas BBQ is good as a real BBQ but it needs cannisters unless you can find the expensive adaptor which allows you to run it off the MH gas system. But the Cadac is more versatile.

Apr 10, 2015
Australia
Funster No
MH
Big Marlin ,Elnagh, 1998
Exp
Motorhoming Europe since 2009
I agree the Cadac has served us well for the past 6 years and we will be using ours tonight. Everything cleans up so easily.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Cadac Safari Chef for us as well. Love it.

talaris

Free Member
Aug 17, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class Dethleffs
Exp
since 2011
Cadac safari every time. Packs small, cleans easy and really easy to cook on.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Cadac Safari - A great BBQ without the mess
Does great bacon in the morning too on the griddle plate

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The Cadac isn't really a BBQ, more an outdoor cooker (light blue touch paper and retire immediately).

I have a Weber Q200 that gives good results for BBQ and roasting. In fact I have two, one on the patio and one in the van (long story). Trouble is it is really too big for the two of us, and takes up too much room in the van's garage and is heavy. So I am looking for something smaller and lighter at the moment - will probably buy in the USA (visiting daughter) where choice and prices are much better.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We have a Weber charcoal BBQ but would like to get a gas one.

I have the Weber Go Anywhere barbie.. 'probably' the best portable charcoal BBQ .. can't be beaten..

had a Cadac Carri Chef and it's now in the skip .. apart from the griddle plate which I use on the Weber..

but if you want the convenience of gas they also do that
Weber Go Anywhere gas BBQ
Broken Link Removed

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
http://www.bbqworld.co.uk/weber-barbecues/weberq/weber-q1200-black-with-stand.asp

I've been looking at the one above but am unsure whether it will be useable with the MH gas?

I'm going to look at the Cadac ones now.... Thanks for your replies
It is but you will need to get what they call the caravan adaptor kit (assuming you have an external BBQ point) because as standard it works off of small canisters. Scroll further down the page you have linked to find it.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
http://www.bbqworld.co.uk/weber-barbecues/weberq/weber-q1200-black-with-stand.asp

I've been looking at the one above but am unsure whether it will be useable with the MH gas?

I'm going to look at the Cadac ones now.... Thanks for your replies

We had the Baby Weber which is almost the same as this one and I converted it to my LPG on the van. It's a very nice BBQ but we found it a bit to big for just the two of us plus the setting up and cleaning did not make it handy and easy to use. We now have the Cadac Safari Chef and find it much more fit for purpose in a motorhome.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We have a cadac after seeing people on here raving about them, but I'm afraid we are less than impressed with it, in fact the last couple of times we've been out in the van , it's stayed at home, going to France tomorrow but not taking it , easy to clean ? don't think so , easy to use? not in our knowledge, takes a while to put together and take apart and pack it all back in its bag,I think a lot of folks have bought them then don't like to say they are not as good as made out.
You could be eat and done with a disposable while still putting the cadac together.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Well I can't speak for the other Cadac models, but the Safari Chef couldn't be more simple :rolleyes:

1. Take out of bag (10 seconds)
2. Fold out legs (5 seconds)
3. Place fat pan on (5 seconds)
4. Place griddle on (5 seconds)
5. Connect to gas ( 10 seconds)
6. Light it and cook away! :cheers:

That's less than a minute...cook a two minute steak and I bet that's quicker than on a disposable (y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Our legs have to slotted together and they have to be the right way round and what about the washing when it's all greased up and doesn't fit the sink.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I am not knocking the cadac for the sake of it , as I say we have one but for just staying on aires for one night they just aren't worth the hassle, if you are camped up in one place for a week or so then that's a different story, but we never are.
Just putting the other side of the facts , that's all(y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I am not knocking the cadac for the sake of it , as I say we have one but for just staying on aires for one night they just aren't worth the hassle, if you are camped up in one place for a week or so then that's a different story, but we never are.
Just putting the other side of the facts , that's all(y)

There is more than one type of Cadac.

If you had the bigger Carry Chef then you are probably right in what you say. Never used one so don't know.

If you have the smaller Safari Chef, which is what @davidandginny was referring to then it is more than worth it for one night. We use ours all the time. Less than a minute from bag to lit and it really is no harder to clean than a frying pan. We used ours at the weekend for one meal and it took me less time to clean and pack it away than it took 'er indoors to do the rest of the washing up.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Here's Julie with our only time we used it in UK , we have used it a couple of times in France but don't think we'll be bothering again.
Notice it's even still got the wrapper on one leg.
image.jpg

Adrian & Alison

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 2.1
Exp
5ys in Europe
We have Both .. Carri Chef for when we are staying in one place for a few days or racing and have to cook for 4 / 5 where we can leave it assembled & the Safari Chef for the times its just the two of us & Touring both great bits of kit in my opinion although as "DBK" says the safari does need a windbreak (which we have)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If you want to see difficult to clean have a go on a Blacktop Party 360 We've got one that last came out at a music festival last year when we did a BBQ for about 10 people. It's a great bit of kit but cleaning it isn't for the faint hearted (y)

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I think the Cadac "Grillogas" we have is like a slightly smaller version of the Carrichef, which suits the 2 of us perfectly for everything from cooked breakfasts, to steaks (gas bbq'ing) to one pot cooking (e.g. Chilli, tacos etc) in the optional paella pan. It's easy to store in the van too.

Agreed, it does need to be erected and dismantled, but that literally takes only a few seconds to do. Personnally, we have not found washing any of the components after use to be an issue or onerous chore.

But each to their own...

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Here's Julie with our only time we used it in UK , we have used it a couple of times in France but don't think we'll be bothering again.
Notice it's even still got the wrapper on one leg.
View attachment 66830
That's not a BBQ it's a UFO! The little Safari Chef is big enough for two and easy to deploy, clean and pack away afterwards. :)

PAGR

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 3, 2013
Camberley
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Arapaho
We've got the Weber Q1200 and think it's great. I've fitted a quick release gas bayonet to the inlet so we can use it with the cylinders or with a long hose from the MH. Brush off the grill and wipe down the inside to the drain with paper towel and Dettol spray, remove drip tray and ready for next use.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
That's not a BBQ it's a UFO! The little Safari Chef is big enough for two and easy to deploy, clean and pack away afterwards. :)

I've had a bigger and one of the original Cadacs, about 15 years ago now and I would have to agree that cleaning it was a pain on a campsite as it wouldn't fit the sink easy. Honestly, the Safari Chef is in a different league and is no more difficult to wash up than your average size frying pan. I've also found cunning methods of using foil to even reduce that cleaning, which very often can wait until morning!

Having said all this, I still like to use my good old trusty charcoal Weber, which I've fired up four times since being back home from Spain the past two weeks...you really can't beat it and if I had a big garage it would be with us on our travels.

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
We've got the Weber Q1200 and think it's great. I've fitted a quick release gas bayonet to the inlet so we can use it with the cylinders or with a long hose from the MH. Brush off the grill and wipe down the inside to the drain with paper towel and Dettol spray, remove drip tray and ready for next use.

Yep, we've done the same but I also made up a two branch quick release connector for my Bullfinch external gas point so we can connect the Weber and a two burner simultaneously. Switches from van Gaslow to patio bottle with no hassle.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Well just for a bit of variety we have one of these, Broken Link Removed

Does Pizzas, traditional sausages and chicken, heats a pan for an outdoor stew or curry and much more, yes it takes up a bit of space but suits us.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back