Sun Bleached Bumper Is Now Black (1 Viewer)

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I read an old post on here about trying to get the MH bumper from a sun bleached horrid looking grey, back to black. A few people said that they thought, warming it up with a heat gun would bring it back to black.

Well I have a Rimor 2001 that has seen a lot of sun in Spain and my front bumper was grey, I tried the heat gun and boy oh boy....my bumper is now a lovely black.

Not that I am selling mine but if you are, try it out, it makes the camper look so much better. I wish that I had taken pictures of before and after but I thought I would just try a small area.....and before I knew it, I had done the whole bumper.

Just thought I would pass on the information, hope it helps somebody.:)

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Bill, when you say 'heat gun', do you mean a hairdryer or a paint stripper (or something inbetween)?

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Paint
Bill, when you say 'heat gun', do you mean a hairdryer or a paint stripper (or something inbetween)?

Stripper gun....but keep waving it about, not to much heat in one place at any one time, you will see it change colour, as Arfer Askey would say....before your very eyes (Well I think it was him):D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I didn't believe this but tried it. ...peanut butter. .. brings it back to new looking, bought some in a £1 shop for guess how much? ?
if should last for ages as I only used a little bit, we don't keep it for eating though, I don't like peanut butter.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I didn't believe this but tried it. ...peanut butter. .. brings it back to new looking, bought some in a £1 shop for guess how much? ?
if should last for ages as I only used a little bit, we don't keep it for eating though, I don't like peanut butter.

Hope you have more success than me..

I tried it on my car's black trim.. , and it lasted about as long as snow on a wall on a summers day ..

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995

Hope you have more success than me..

I would agree, I tried that peanut stuff and if ever I want to waste an hour in my life again...........

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
NO!! Anybody BUYING peanut butter should be locked up!! That stuff is so YUK!! (y):D

Mr Billy23, I have just reached for my Christmas Card list and guess whose name I am crossing off?

Peanut butter and jam (jelly) sandwiches...

Good enough for Elvis, more than good enough for me!

JJ :cool:

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Mr Billy23, I have just reached for my Christmas Card list and guess whose name I am crossing off?

Well EVEN though Mr JJ, you eat that YUKKIE stuff, I will let my forgiving nature shine through and (nearer the time) still wish you a happy Christmas.

And please remember that Elvis might well have had a peanut butter (Yuk) sandwich just before he left the building!!(y):D

Reactions: JJ
Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Have to agree about the peanut butter....lasts a few weeks if I'm lucky :(

The Autoglym stuff lasts longer but obviously more expensive. Easier to apply as well.

I haven't got around to trying the other suggestions made on this forum in the past. I'll give the heat gun treatment a pass for the time being :unsure:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.

Peanut butter & lemon curd or chocolate spread for me.

lesr48

Free Member
Oct 25, 2014
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano
Exp
Since 2014
I have heard that WD40 will bring black plastic trims back to showroom condition too

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.

Peanut butter and sliced banana mmmmmmm

Reactions: BwB

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
It's green, slimy and has a horrible, petrol-like smell. Still more palatable than broad beans :sick:

Broad beans are scrummy - especially when very fresh and lightly cooked.

As for the Autoglym stuff, it works but doesn't give a lasting impression - weeks or maybe a month - not much more.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Usinfg a heat gun works just fine.. The reason the plastics discolour is simply that the oil in them dries up.. Using a heat gun will bring the oil back up to the surface..
BUT !
The problem is that using a heat gun will ( as in other ways ) only last a limited time, and unlike other methods should really only be used once
Repeated use will either fail or worse, make the plastic extremely brittle
It is something often done at 'selling time'

As a by the by, it will also work on other coloured plastics.. Yellows and reds will give especially good results !

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You could use the gravy from Fray Bentos pies. It turns everything else it touches black :whistle:

Careful not to let it drip on your paintwork though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back