Ducato wins MotorHome Base Vehicle Award ! (1 Viewer)

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
Is this the one with all the clutch problems? If so its got to be a joke!!

No I don't think it's a joke :RollEyes: I wasn't able to read the whole article ("cos of some annoying 'pop up' advert) but I did read that the judge was talking about the FIAT automatic gearbox which so far as I know is not the one with all the problems, still it seems a particularly crass piece of journalistic double talk to give FIAT an award for third time in a row.

Usually these publications spread these so called 'awards' around a bit to avoid the allegation of bias :RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
:ROFLMAO: yep that's the one ::bigsmile: at the end of the day (reversing aside )it is lower and wider than all the rest :thumb: Width is a major plus point especially in a PVC :ROFLMAO::thumb:
::bigsmile: probably this year it deserves to win as it has taken 3 years to (perhaps) get it right:thumb::Blush:::bigsmile:
terry

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
What is a "six-speed automated manual MTA gearbox" If it just some kind of addon to the original box then it will have the same clutch problems.

Doug...

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
What is a "six-speed automated manual MTA gearbox" If it just some kind of addon to the original box then it will have the same clutch problems.

Doug...

No idea Doug, but I seem to recall that 10 years or so back they added a kind of 5th. gear in the form of an 'overdrive' or something and that too was a can of worms and keept going wrong and breaking down.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging

Doug...

It is the normal gearbox as fitted to 3 litre with a computer control of clutch and gearchange.You can also drive it as a normal manual but without having to use a clutch. It has the same operation as the one fitted to the Renault, but that has been around longer, and has proved itself.
Merc. also had one on the Sprinter, but gave it up and reverted to a standard auto box.
Ford also developed one can't think of its name but that also was dropped
This one as fitted to the Fiat is the new kid on the block and still has to prove itself long term.

Dave

Last edited:

bevo

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
north west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
fiat ducato

ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha

live long and prosper:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

sounds a bit like fiat cars winning european cars of the year for years

Johno

Free Member
Oct 29, 2008
Kent
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
30+ with caravanning & camping
Maybe I'm just lucky but so far I have had no problems reversing my 2.3 ltr Ducato, and I have to reverse up a steep ramp followed by a gentle slope to get the MH into my drive. The only time I have had any sort of juddering is on the odd occaision I have failed to completely release the handbrake but since fitting a handbrake extension this has been eliminated, also I had occaisional juddering in 1st forward gear during the first hundred miles or so of the running in period but since then nothing.
My work entails driving a large variety of vehicles and I have found each vehicle requires adaption of driving style to suit the vehicles characteristics, as like people it seems no two vans, cars, HGVs are the same. I even took the MH to the local industrial estate one Sunday morning and put it through all manner of reversing situations to try and get the juddering but to no avail, so it makes me wonder how many Ducatos are out there without this problem and maybe we only hear about the dodgy ones and like most news these days it is only the bad news that makes the headlines and upon which we tend to form our opinions.
Just thought I would give a different slant to the discussion and it would be interesting to hear from members who like myself have not had problems with the Ducato.
John.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
In the words of Victor Meldrew-"I don't believe it!!"-the award that is.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
MUST BE A FIX :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: WELL NOT THE GEAR BOX FROM ALL ACCOUNTS :Doh:

Tailendcharley

Free Member
Oct 9, 2008
Funster No

It has to be a fix or con of some desciption...a similar con happens when Ferrari (Fiat owned) get beaten in F1...all Ferrari have to do is object to something and the FIA investigate and usually rule in Ferraris' favour...we all know it happens and is fast becoming a joke in F1 circles.................

Regards

:winky:Smithy:RollEyes::RollEyes:

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
Maybe I'm just lucky but so far I have had no problems reversing my 2.3 ltr Ducato, and I have to reverse up a steep ramp followed by a gentle slope to get the MH into my drive. The only time I have had any sort of juddering is on the odd occaision I have failed to completely release the handbrake but since fitting a handbrake extension this has been eliminated, also I had occaisional juddering in 1st forward gear during the first hundred miles or so of the running in period but since then nothing.
My work entails driving a large variety of vehicles and I have found each vehicle requires adaption of driving style to suit the vehicles characteristics, as like people it seems no two vans, cars, HGVs are the same. I even took the MH to the local industrial estate one Sunday morning and put it through all manner of reversing situations to try and get the juddering but to no avail, so it makes me wonder how many Ducatos are out there without this problem and maybe we only hear about the dodgy ones and like most news these days it is only the bad news that makes the headlines and upon which we tend to form our opinions.
Just thought I would give a different slant to the discussion and it would be interesting to hear from members who like myself have not had problems with the Ducato.
John.

Fiat themselves have said there is a problem throughout the range. I have the 3 L and it judders real bad. Go to a 1-4 or 1-5 and then report back.

steve

vava1

Free Member
Oct 5, 2007
England
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
amazing! voted by who? Fiat?

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Is that the one that shakes when reversing up hill, then needs new clutch and lower ratio rev gear? If so whoever judged that.

crazylazy

Free Member
Apr 24, 2009
South East
Funster No
MH
Low-Profile
Exp
4 weeks.. twice out in it
John.

I had no problems with my Bolero 680FB 2007 ...it drove like a dream...I speak as I find....Yes, I am a female driver,!!I have been driving for 42years many different vehicles...even a bus (only once) .....perhaps I was lucky with the Bolero ....I am glad you have had no problems ,...but we have to take on board what the other funsters say...if I had had problems I would have been very unhappy indeed, we have to consider that according to the funsters on this site every make of vehicle has /had a problem it is very daunting as to what vehicle to buy at all!!

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
It is possible for any company to get it wrong at times, but it's the way you handle the resultant problems. Fiat have made a right b***s up of this one as is their usual.
First they blamed the drivers, now have tried various fixes with mixed success, and the problem still goes on. It is a lottery on how Fiat handle the problem.
Peugeot same van have been totally different, have always said there is a problem, and are doing the best they can to correct. I would not buy either but if I had to make a choice it would be a Peugeot at least they have customer service.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

R

richardhomas

Deleted User
I'm not surprised seeing how there are more of them about so not much to choose from:Eeek::Eeek:

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
Maybe I'm just lucky but so far I have had no problems reversing my 2.3 ltr Ducato
You must be very lucky since even Fiat admit there is a problem and are belatedly spending thousands on a fix. Too bad for those poor souls lumbered with one of these juddering heaps.
This fiasco has been characterised by a lack of support from convertors who continue to use these bases (presumable on a BOGOF basis) and by Fiats initial denial of a problem. There are still people being told, by Fiat, that their van is 'within tolerance' and that there is no fix!
There are still people who think that if they deny the problem exists then second hand values will not be affected - dream on.
The only reason I comment on this is because of the knock on effect which is pushing prices of non Fiat based vehicles even higher and is affecting my ability to afford a new van.:Doh:
A first year apprentice engineer could have told them that if you need a gear of 'x to 1' ratio to get a van moving forward then it needs the same ratio to get it moving safely backwards.:whatthe:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back