Hello from Aberdeenshire (1 Viewer)

Liz

Free Member
Apr 12, 2009
Aberdeenshire Scotland
Funster No
Hello everybody and thank you to the lovely Losos for directing me here :thumb:

I'm Liz (43) married to Andy. We have 3 mad large breed dogs and have come to the conclusion the only hope we have of getting a break or weekend away is to become the owners of a campervan and take them with us. We're quite excited at the prospect.
We are clueless as to which one would suit our requirements best so will give you a run down so hopefully you can guide us in the right direction.
Nothing fancy as its just somewhere for us to crash and take the dogs away and they are always going to be mucky or wet after a run, one of the dogs is still a pup so she might chew the odd thing. Nothing costing more than 4,000. Preferably one that you can stand up in without having to push the roof up. Only needs to sleep 2 but enough floor space for the dogs to lay down as well. Will need cooker ring and fridge, a loo would be good but not essential. As you can see we're not really fussy :roflmto:
Somebody somewhere's bound to be looking to upgrade and have just what we are looking for. Is there much market for exchanges or is that a bad idea?
We have a 2002 Subaru Impretza 2ltr GLS that we'd swap or part exchange.

Here's the horrors (my beautiful babies) that have put us in this predicament :Blush:

Link Removed

Last edited:

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
Hi Liz,
So glad you could make it over here :Smile: and can I just say what stunningly beautiful dogs you have, they must give you so much fun and laughter and devotion.

I see your way up North in Scotland so some of the Campervan shows might be a bit of a trek but I think I would be echoing what most on here would say which is take your time (I've been looking and learning for the last six months)

I found that there are so many things to learn and a much bigger choice than I ever imagined there would be when I started.

I'm going to two shows in the next two weeks and if I see any dealers selling what you are basically looking for I'll PM you 'tho I suspect they will all be from South of UK and sadly I doubt if any Scottish dealers will be willing to go down to Peterborough.

There are some good dealers in Scotland and "Knowepark Motorhomes' of Livingstone was voted MMM's dealer of the year. They are featured in the April edition of the magazine which is also quite a good place for classified adverts.

I'm hoping that in 2010 we can bring our two Newfies to UK and so when you're all sorted and trolling around the country you might park up on a site and find us parked next to you :Smile: so with five big hairy monsters around that should be fun :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Liz

Liz

Free Member
Apr 12, 2009
Aberdeenshire Scotland
Funster No
Hi Losos
Had a look at their website but with the lowest price being 8,000 they are a bit out of our price range EEK.
Am i being unrealistic? Is it possible to get one for under 4,000?

2 Newfies eh? gorgeous dogs, we better start looking for dog friendly places to park before buying incase we're as welcome as a fart in a wetsuit :roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Losos
Had a look at their website but with the lowest price being 8,000 they are a bit out of our price range EEK.
Am i being unrealistic? Is it possible to get one for under 4,000?

2 Newfies eh? gorgeous dogs, we better start looking for dog friendly places to park before buying incase we're as welcome as a fart in a wetsuit :roflmto:

Hi Liz

welcome .. :Smile:

Not many dealers will have vans in your budget, your best bet is to look on the classifieds and ebay .. under 4k is possible but you may need to travel to find the right van.. good luck

Jim

PS.. I used to travel to Aberdeen from Ayrshire when I worked offshore during 80s ..

Lovely city.. and friendly folk :Smile:

Jim

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi Liz welcome to the site, fleabay is probably your only option, however I do have a 1972 (tax exempt) MK1 ford transit that has had a 1995 2.5DI engine (diesel) fitted 40MPG with the poptop down. It needs rear light cluster replaced and some small bits of welding plates already cut ready to go, plus two new batteries. It has no MOT and was last driven 6 months ago but otherwise unused for the last 5 years. It is a restoration project that will not cost a fortune to complete. I just Don't have the time. I would take £900 which represents a fraction of my costs. PM me your email address for a pile of recent photos.
wildman365249.jpg

It has a double bed one end and a single with removable stretcher bed the other, cooker, fridge, running water, toilet compartment with a sink and space for a porta pottie. The roof is a poptop and it has an awning (put sides on it and leave the dogs out there, or there is room inside, our two liked to sleep under the bed.). Sorry we are so far away. You could trailer it back or get a local garage to finish/MOT it. Classic car insurance is also very cheap we paid £80 fully comp 5 years ago. Free Tax what more could you want. Feel free to view or ask any questions. The engine has a new water-pump and runs like a dream.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Liz

Liz

Free Member
Apr 12, 2009
Aberdeenshire Scotland
Funster No
Hi Roger
Oh my goodness Devon is quite a distance from me and to be honest i'd really prefer something with an m.o.t as neither of us are mechanically minded or know anything about restoration. Ive been having a wee look on e-bay and am following a few initially just to see what price they go for to get some idea, we are clueless.

Could anyone put a photo up of something around the 4,000 price mark or give me an idea what registration or mileage to expect for my price range?
I know most of you must think i'm only aiming for a bit of a raft but hey we all have to start somewhere :thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Liz have a look on Autotrader there is a couple of VW lts and a few coach built that are under /on your budget ::bigsmile: oh nearly forgot Welcome :thumb:
terry

Kooky

Free Member
Jan 12, 2008
West Scotland-Loch Lomond
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2006... but caravans and tents before that
Hi Liz, and :welcome:
Have a look in Preloved, they have a Winnebago Le Shara (1984) for £3900.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Guys you are probably going to have to travel to get the right deal. There are a few motorhomes on ebay that almost fit the bill.

Link Removed Link Removed and Link Removed

Meanwhile, welcome to the Fun:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back