Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
Ok - so another topic I understand that is quite popular...

Got no gas yet, so put the beers in the fridge and put the ehu on last night. Whilst when I checked this morning they had chilled they were not cold. I understand that putting stuff in the fridge would lead to it taking longer to cool down, but how long should I expect the fridge to take to get to 'cold'.

And how will (should) it perform just being left on leisure batteries for two days?

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
will it actually run on the 12v leisure batteries?

unless its a compressor type 12v normally only comes into play when you are driving along, and then it will normally only maintain the temperature rather than reduce it.

As for putting stuff in it when first put on...guess that depends on how much and how warm they were :)

I normally leave the fridge empty and on EHU for at least 12hours before putting anything in it - not sure if thats the proper way but it works for us!!

In all honesty - the most effective cooling on ours is gas

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Well that a fortuitous time to ask the question as we bought a fridge thermometer yesterday in Lakeland in Stratford.

Put it in the fridge running on a mix between gas and 12 volts from solar and the fridge was running at 6 deg and the freezer at -10.5 deg.

Not sure how long it will take to cool the beer but as long as the fridge goes down far enough it will happen relative to the amount of beer you put and it's temperature and the cooling capacity of the fridge.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
It's a thetford 3 way, so I'm assuming that it will run on leisure battery?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
A quick Google shows that I may have a thetford n112 fridge.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
A quick Google shows that I may have a thetford n112 fridge.
That looks very similar to ours. On auto select, it will run on mains, if the is EHU present, gas if not, and 12v if the engine is running.
On EHU or gas, it will take about 12 hours to get properly chilled, we are off this weekend, so the EHU was attached this morning, beer should be perfect temp tomorrow morning! :D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
I assumed I could run off the leisure. Appears not :( That's ok. I drink ale and they don't have to be super chilled. Plus I do have lots of whisky and rum. The kids food on the other hand....

They'll have to use the coolbox!

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I assumed I could run off the leisure. Appears not :( That's ok. I drink ale and they don't have to be super chilled. Plus I do have lots of whisky and rum. The kids food on the other hand....

They'll have to use the coolbox!
Or just pop out and get some gas, if you have the old bottles then it isn't expensive. The fridge doesn't use much gas at all.

Upvote 0

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Best cooling is on gas as thet is what they are primarily designed for.
12v is only to "maintain" the temperature whilst travelling & is only fed when the engine is running.
When you try mains electric can you feel any warmth/heat coming from the exhaust area/top vent of the fridge?

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
will it actually run on the 12v leisure batteries?

unless its a compressor type 12v normally only comes into play when you are driving along, and then it will normally only maintain the temperature rather than reduce it.

As for putting stuff in it when first put on...guess that depends on how much and how warm they were :)

I normally leave the fridge empty and on EHU for at least 12hours before putting anything in it - not sure if thats the proper way but it works for us!!

In all honesty - the most effective cooling on ours is gas
Best cooling is on gas as thet is what they are primarily designed for.
12v is only to "maintain" the temperature whilst travelling & is only fed when the engine is running.
When you try mains electric can you feel any warmth/heat coming from the exhaust area/top vent of the fridge?
What they said :)

Also, have you got vent covers fitted? If so then take them off when the day time temperature is above 8 deg C as cooling is impaired if the heat can't get away.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Yes I want to get gas but as imported from Germany I don't have any bottles or the correct pigtails. I had hoped to have had this sorted but the supplier for gasit had no stock (although have found another supplier yesterday).

Vent covers. I assume this is on the outside of the vehicle? Not that I am aware of.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Not the best pic but only one I have currently. I'll look when I get home but would they open and close?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 61
Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
A 3 way fridge will ONLY run on 12v when the engine is running, otherwise it will flatten the battery in approx 3/4 of an hour
never mind 2 days, hee hee

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Ok thanks. Off they will come when I get home! Do both need doing?

Reactions: GJH
Upvote 0
Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
A 3 way fridge will ONLY run on 12v when the engine is running, otherwise it will flatten the battery in approx 3/4 of an hour
never mind 2 days, hee hee

Unless some idiot has stuck a fuse in the holder for automatic selection fridges when it is not an auto select fridge, then it will carry on running on 12v until manually changed over to gas or elec.

It took me a while to figure this out, unfortunately killing the battery off in the process having forgotten to switch it from 12v a few times when stopping just for a short time.

I'm not sure whether it was the previous owner or the dealership checking that it ran on 12v (and then forgetting to take the blooming fuse out) as part of their hab check that put it in.

Upvote 0
Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Ok thanks. Off they will come when I get home! Do both need doing?
Only need vent covers on when outside temp gets below 10c or its really blowy, or when your giving the van a wash
having them on in this heat will hamper the cooling process quite a bit (been there done that :))

Reactions: GJH
Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Ok - en route home now. Really excited even though the m25 seems to be stationary :(

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
#doublepost

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Unless some idiot has stuck a fuse in the holder for automatic selection fridges when it is not an auto select fridge, then it will carry on running on 12v until manually changed over to gas or elec.

It took me a while to figure this out, unfortunately killing the battery off in the process having forgotten to switch it from 12v a few times when stopping just for a short time.

I'm not sure whether it was the previous owner or the dealership checking that it ran on 12v (and then forgetting to take the blooming fuse out) as part of their hab check that put it in.

Just out of interest I have just switched mine from AES to 12V, it immediately drew 16A from leisure battery with no key even in ignition let alone switched on

Not sure if this is right, a few things on our MH are 'odd' to say the least, but no wonder a fridge will kill a battery in no time :)

back in auto by the way, nobody panic

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
standard 3 way fridges only cool the inside to 10 to 15 degrees below ambient temperature. all dependent upon air flowing over the evaporation fins. they dont work like a compressor fridge in the kitchen at home. thats why we often fit fans on the top vent for use in summer here or in warmer climates

if you cannot power a fridge due to lack of gas and ehu, put freezer blocks or frozen bottles of milk in and use it as a big coolbox

Upvote 0
Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Just out of interest I have just switched mine from AES to 12V, it immediately drew 16A from leisure battery with no key even in ignition let alone switched on

Not sure if this is right, a few things on our MH are 'odd' to say the least, but no wonder a fridge will kill a battery in no time :)

back in auto by the way, nobody panic

If it is an AES one it can stay on 12v for 15mins I think without the engine running before it will switch to gas to allow time to fill up at the fuel station. Not having an AES one I don't know whether you can manually override the 15min on 12v - not that you would want to!

I couldn't figure out why mine would stay on 12v constantly (and therefore drain the battery) until I eventually checked the electroblock and there in the fuse slot for fridge, with a big warning triangle with AES FRIDGE ONLY written in it was a fuse. Problem solved. Unfortunately not before my battery suffered fatal harm. Since the battery needed replacing I took the opportunity to stick in a bigger capacity one.

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
my fridge works on 12v when the engine isn't running.

At least it seems to be. Well it flattens the battery, so the leccy is going somewhere :clap2:

This slows down on a sunny day when the solar panels are doing their job :)

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013

Yep same happened to me when I bought my motorhome. Took it back to be checked because the 12V fridge was on even when engine off. Said they had sorted it, but just as bad. Had a look at the Electrobloc myself - big arrow to fuse with note saying "only use fuse if AES fridge fitted". Fuse in there but my fridge was not AES. Took it out myself.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back