Also new but have taken the plunge!!! (1 Viewer)

chaswb100

Free Member
Oct 18, 2008
Brentwood,Essex
Funster No
MH
5er
Exp
2 Years
Hi to all 5th wheelers

Having planned to have a 5th Wheel for the last 2 years I am pleased to report the Nissan Navara arrived in December & the Calder Leisure Kountrylite 26RK should be ready for collection end of May.

Any tips from anyone who already has this outfit, and general advice on what extra kit is or is not worth having, ie Safari Room,Satellite systems, ect, would be most welcome.

Also any experience of mobile Broadband, particualy 2 way satellite based.

Many Thanks - Chas Baker

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Chas, Sat Broadband with a good reputation is the Alden Netmaster. But its expensive, and at a time when mobile broadband coverage gets better and better, so you have to really need it to justify it. (or be really rich:Smile:)

I bet May can't come soon enough. Meanwhile welcome to the Fun.:thumb:

andynann

Free Member
Apr 9, 2009
atherton lancs
Funster No
Exp
thirty odd years
Hi,n welcome we are newbys to,how is calderleisure for prices ,we have looked at the out fit your getting ,but not made our mind up yet should we buy new or second hand mm,where are you off to when your outfit is ready?
Andy n Ann:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Hi to all 5th wheelers

Having planned to have a 5th Wheel for the last 2 years I am pleased to report the Nissan Navara arrived in December & the Calder Leisure Kountrylite 26RK should be ready for collection end of May.

Beat yer!:ROFLMAO: We get ours FIRST week in May::bigsmile::thumb:

Any tips from anyone who already has this outfit, and general advice on what extra kit is or is not worth having, ie Safari Room,Satellite systems, ect, would be most welcome..

I'll let you know as quick as I can!:ROFLMAO: Seriously, after having had 10 years Fulltiming in A class RV's and then the last 12 months in a twin axle caravan, I can say this.........

DEFINATLEY get a roof mounted sat system! All I'm going to do is mount a domestic dish (already bought and sprayed white) at the bottom of the existing batwing aerial column, just like I did with my RV. People say you shouldn't cos of the weight but if you mount it as close to the bottom of the mast as poss', it'll be ok. Mine was on 2 different RV's over 10 years, we just lowered it in the strongest of winds/gales to prevent roof damage. The last 12 months of a sat dish on a tripod OUTSIDE the van is a PAIN IN THE BACKSIDE!!!!!!, especially when it's raining.:Angry:

Safari room. Well, everyones different, but personally, after 12 months of putting an awning up and down on the side of the caravan, I cant wait to be shut of the dammed thing. Rather have the usable inside space given by the slide-out on the Kountrylite. I think in 12 months, we've actually been able to sit in our awning about 4 or 5 times. The rest of the time, it's just somewhere to lob your mucky boots!

In anticipation of the 5ver, I've already bought a fiamma roll tank and made a pulling trolley for the front of it from a scrap golf trolley. Stuff the the price of the 4 wheel version, it's ridiculous!
Also, already bought a macerator to give us more flexibility re emptying the tanks and MAX AIR vent covers for year round ventilation. :winky:.

edit = PS, how the heck did you manage to find the Nav cos I'm having a nightmare trying to find the right one!

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
All I'm going to do is mount a domestic dish (already bought and sprayed white) at the bottom of the existing batwing aerial column, just like I did with my RV.

Hi

I thought on doing that before I bought the Maxview but didn't think it would be a success, I wish I had known you had already done it :Sad:

I presume the LNB just sticks up in the air when the dish is in travel mode or did you fit a folding arm dish and what size of dish did you fit ?

Cheers

Jim

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Hi
I presume the LNB just sticks up in the air when the dish is in travel mode or did you fit a folding arm dish and what size of dish did you fit ?
Cheers
Jim

It would if you left it there Jim.
What I used to do with my last RV was climb up the ladder and remove the LNB in case of branch damage. This just left the bare arm sticking up which I considered to be an acceptable risk.
What I've done in anticipation of getting the 5ver, is cut and hinge the arm so that as I wind up the batwing, the LNB falls into position under its own weight. Same in reverse when folding for travelling. The only thing extra I intend to do is include some sort of rubber bump stop to stop it going with a CLANG!!!!!!! every time we fold/unfold.
Cheap as chips...........as the orange one would say!:ROFLMAO:

Yetties

Free Member
Nov 19, 2007
Radstock Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Mirrors

The biggest problem I found when we got our 5er was finding extension mirrors that were good enough to see round it with
Neil

OP
OP
chaswb100

chaswb100

Free Member
Oct 18, 2008
Brentwood,Essex
Funster No
MH
5er
Exp
2 Years
Thanks for all replys

Very impressed with all the prompt replies!!! - Where to start?

Intend normal holidaying untill mid next year when hope to go fulltime.(House prices permitting) At present only UK planned but who knows.

Nissen Navera picked as tow vehicle on Calder Leisure advise.Intended to get a 174(Built before September 2006) as this has better listed mpg & Co2 figures but could not find one I was happy with.Also as only having Subarus since 1983 (12) I know nothing about any other makes,so decided to go to a main dealer for lots of warrenty.Found a May 08 Adventura manual end of October last year with 3400 miles for £18000.List price £27000ish.As always,better bargins seen since,but have been very pleased with the Navara.Anybody want an 04 Subaru Legacy Outback H6?.

Googled Alden Netmaster - see what you mean about the price!
Have found a system called ASTRA2Connect.Its ment for fixed location where normal broadband is not available.As it runs on signal from Astra Sat I intend to try to find out if it can be run from any dish aligned to Astra with the right LNB for 2way traffic.Cost of this system seems to be very reasonable.

Was 80% sure already for fixed roof satellite TV system so any makes recommended?

Is the safari room easier to put up than a conventional awning?.I am now told we need one so we will have to manage.

I had been looking for a secondhand Caulder Leisure Kountrylite (any layout) for the last 12 months with no success.Don't know how their prices compare for other products (Ultralite ect) to other Dealers but if you want a Kountrylite keep in touch with Caulder to try & get a trade in or ex demo.Having spoken to at least 3 of their customers their reputation is excellent for helping to find what new customers want(myself included), as is their after sales service.

Thank you for the point about the mirrors.I will bear it in mind when its time to buy.

I hope this covers all my current replies but please keep info/queries coming.

Chas Baker

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
The biggest problem I found when we got our 5er was finding extension mirrors that were good enough to see round it with
Neil

I suppose it depends on which 5ver you get?
We're getting a KountryLite which is built to UK spec, ie 7' 6" wide. This is the same as my twin axle caravan and using Milenco (I think) caravan extension mirros, I've had no probs with vision. Thats on a Kia Sorento. The Navara i intend to buy is slightly wider than the Kia so if anything, it might be better.
Having said that, personally, I think caravan extension mirrors are pig ugly and a pain in the proverbial to fit. I'm going to look into designing and manufacturing some sort of telescopic arm for the Navs mirrors. The trick is getting something that is functional but still looks OK when folded/collapsed. Should be fun!::bigsmile:

Yetties

Free Member
Nov 19, 2007
Radstock Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Mirrors

When we got our 5er I started off with caravan extension mirrors but the size meant the vision was restrictive and having tried a couple and looked at every type I could find I was still not happy.
Our 5er is only 7ft 6ins wide its an amerilite came from Niche at Manby
We were planning atrip to Bavaria and I felt that being on the continent I needed to be able to see properly down the nearside.
Initially American external clamp onto the door mirrors were a thought but are rediculous price wise so I started investigating and found some mirrors that clip securely to the Navara mirrors but had tubular arms, then went to a commercial vehicle factors and found some that are about 6" by 10" convex and all plastic so lightweight and unbreakable.
Now I can see what I need to.
To be fair as I drive artics for a living I am used to being able to see exactly what the trailer is doing so may be a little more fussy on this front than most.
Neil

Last edited:

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
..............and found some mirrors that clip securely to the Navara mirrors but had tubular arms, then went to a commercial vehicle factors and found some that are about 6" by 10" convex and all plastic so lightweight and unbreakable..................Neil

Any chance of a name/part number please, I'd like to see them?

Cheers!:thumb:

Yetties

Free Member
Nov 19, 2007
Radstock Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Any chance of a name/part number please, I'd like to see them?

Cheers!:thumb:
I cant get a pic to paste here but if you use this link look at body section then page 35 you will see unbreakable mirrors various sizes if you wish you can PM me with a number and I will Phone you and explain

Link Removed
Neil

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back