LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Switched on in Calais. Had charging in cradle but battery icon went red and switched off sat nav. Charged 5 hours and still just tomtom drums then shutdown. Gutted. Only a yr old and beginning of our 2 weeks in France anyone any ideas plsssss xx

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
I do and Google maps fab. But the data will cost a fair amount for 2 weeks. If we can resolve tomtom at least it's all offline. Thanx tho.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Have you tried with the cable in the unit to charge it and not in the cradle. That would show if there is a problem with the cradle. Also have you tried connecting to your Computer or some other USB socket to see if that charges it. This would show if it is the plug that is faulty or the fuse in the plug has gone.

Was the unit set so that when you had it plugged in the car or van when you switched on or off the ignition the unit turned on or off automatically. If so when you have it plugged in and you turn on the ignition does it try to start up. If so the cable is working okay. If not could be cable or plug or the battery is to flat.

If it is the cable some of the Blacberry and Samsung phones and tablets use the same mini socket so a visit to Aachen or Carrefour for a charger.

All the best.

Doug

Last edited:
OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
I used the cable to charge samsung to check and that worked. Also plugged directly into unit, nothing. Also beginning to think battery, but at a yr old and barely used, eld be shocked at tomtom. Think you're right tho :( thanx

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Switched on in Calais. Had charging in cradle but battery icon went red and switched off sat nav. Charged 5 hours and still just tomtom drums then shutdown. Gutted. Only a yr old and beginning of our 2 weeks in France anyone any ideas plsssss xx

Just had to replace the pathetic USB charger lead on ours. No support on lead and all the strain on the tiny connector as you bounce around. Have now put a sticky clip to support the new lead - ÂŁ5 off Ebay - we got bye on holiday with a spare computer lead.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
This also happened to me, and as the others have said, it was the charge lead. I just stopped off at the nearest computer supplies shop and purchased a new micro-usb lead, and that fixed the problem. It's been going strong ever since.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Snowdrop

I would suggest contacting Tomtom when you can and they may well replace it. If you were very lucky they may give you the latest unit which is the same orice as yours was but has World naps on it.

Have you tried holding down the start button and when it tries to start keep pressing the button so it does a restart. Unlikely to help but try it. Ideally you want to do a full reset but you need to get to the Settings icon,the gear wheel, and selecting Reset in the Settings menu. I assume from what you are saying it will not stay on long enough to get you to that item in the menu.

If you can do it you will loose all you settings but if you have had the unit logged into Mydrive in the last month or so you should get your favourites and any POI files you have loaded on it restored but would loose any routes you may have saved.

Couldn't happen at a worse time. Sod's law.

Doug

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Desp for advice re getting thro lyon for orange, toulon. Looks like map nightmare !! Hate tomtom !!!

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
SORTED !! THANX SO MUCH ! Decided to try one last other micro lead from my android and it works !!!!!!!!! Saved by funsters. Yayyy xxxxxx

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back