The Good Samaritan, Peter The Chinaman (1 Viewer)

Nov 28, 2010
Torrevieja, Spain
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip H720
Exp
December 2011
While out on our scooter today about 10klm from the site[in Portugal] I had a blow out on the back wheel, some how managed to keep it under control and stopped, secured scooter to a tree along side the road and when of in search of a repair shop, stopped at a tobacco/lottery shop to find out if any scooter repair shops about, and after a discussion between the Portugese owner and a elderly Chinaman who asked me where the bike was, I replied about 1klm away, to which he replied will it fit in his van across the road to which I relied yes, so Jan and I set off with the Chinaman who told me his name was Peter [Wuan] but every one calls him Peter the Chinaman as it was easier, well loaded scooter into van and set off for the scooter repair shop, after a slight detour we think so he could show use his restaurant and 2 houses we arrived at the repair shop [his friend owned it], we unloaded scooter, Peter would not accept any money from us or allow me to take him to the coffee shop, he replied he likes helping people, he certainly restores your faith in human nature.
Scooter tyre repaired, and how safely back in garage.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I find the same happens with Davids, I like to think I am also a Peter, but do sometimes thing folk take the wotnot, great to hear a nice example of life though there is far too much bad news around :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Don't know if that was tongue in cheek JJ but I help if I can for the same reason, and live in hope that there will be someone there for me one day.

Nothing "tongue in cheek" at all, Mr Bailey58.

I love helping people because it makes me feel good.

It also often makes the people I help happy.

It can be argued that we only ever do anything for ourselves.

JJ :cool:

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
What is that song. "If you can help somebody as you journey on..." Does it for me.
Tea Bag

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I love helping people! Makes me feel 'of some use' IYSWIM. I'm useless at anything heavy (physically feeble) but mentally quite strong and actually quite practical when and if I know what I'm doing or told properly what to do to help when I don't know.

Last year with Pete and a lady that rushed to help were holding onto our awning that had just blown straight over the roof in a mini-tornado that had suddenly passed across the aire, I was told to wind it in - I had been trapped in the van for a minute cos it blew up and over then crashed down flat against the side, so I couldn't get out until they lifted it - and I had never, ever, been shown how to do it - didn't know the handle has to stay more or less at 90 degrees or which way to turn the blasted thing - well I soon found out obviously - but being screamed at by your nearest and dearest, doesn't actually help much at the time really ! LOL

He obviously needs to eat more Chinese food !

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
I personally think you've all hit the nail on the head. I love to help people out whenever I can, as you all say, it makes me feel good doing that. I also like the look of surprise on some peoples faces when you do help, they are just the people that have lost faith in society and it lifts their spirit, makes them feel good and I feel good at being responsible for that. If everyone did a good deed for the day and felt how good it feels to do that, then we would all feel the better for it. In fact, it could be a great little thread for the funsters, 'what good deed did you do today?" Not for a 'I'm a little Saint' factor or a bragging thing, but maybe it would catch on...and on. :)(y)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I don't much like helping with household chores.

Apart from that I help where I can but I confess to being pretty useless at most things.:D

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Short story.
Son No.2 was 500kms north of Perth Western Oz. He wanted to get to Vic. Oz He bought a car for 100A$ and drove it across the Nullabore desert (that had Mrs Emmit in a panic.) and got to Mildura unscathed.
I asked him what he was going to do with the car as he was unable to sell it in Vic. without an MOT. Scrap it he said.

So Dad suggested he sell it to someone who needed to get back to WA.

Two weeks later and another conversation.
Me "What happened to the car"
Him "I 've got rid of it"
Me "How much did you get"
Him "Nothing"
Me "It must have been worth something"
Him "Yes it was. I've got a deposit in "The Bank of Karma"
Me "Whats that"
Him "I reckon I've done someone a favour. Someone down the line will do me a favour when I need it."

That's my boy.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I agree with Mr DavidG58

When ever I can really help someone I love to do so...

It is for selfish reasons though.

I love doing it because it makes ME feel really good.

JJ :cool:

I do it all the time, help old ladies across the road, whether or not they want to.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Just thought this may be of interest and in theme with this post.
Andrea and I have recently been spending more and more time in Portugal to the extent that we have bought a small home there.
I can honestly say that people we have dealt with in that have been the most helpful and happy that I have encountered anywhere on my extensive travels.
Of course that was with the exception of the tax office officials but even they managed the odd smile! Apologies to any taxman funsters!
Everyone seemed to go about their work,with good nature.
I then read that Portugal was the 11th happiest country in the world,of course they have austerity to deal with.
On my return to France on the toll road before entering Spain we had a blow out on the empty trailer,not the first! got it on to the hard shoulder where I started to get out the spare but due to the tyre being off the rim could not get the wheel off.
Andrea walked to the nearby emergency phone where she was reassured help would soon be with us.
Sure enough Paulo arrived shortly after,quickly assessed the problem and we quickly got it changed,having a laugh and joke all the time.
He asked me to sign a satisfaction form and explained this was a free service on the Portuguese autoroutes and no payment was needed,he finally accepted €10 from me and we left with a handshake and another good memory for me of an unhappy incident that ended well.

I too like to help others and it gives a warm glow,I helped Francisco 83 up some steps outside the supermarket only to find he was an ex teacher who spoke several languages and taught all over the world,we spent some time together and I told him I would look out for him in the future as he said he went out at 09.30 as after that it was too hot for him in Ferreira!!
Me too :LOL:

redjohn151

Free Member
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hymer b534
Exp
I'm a newbie
Short story.
Son No.2 was 500kms north of Perth Western Oz. He wanted to get to Vic. Oz He bought a car for 100A$ and drove it across the Nullabore desert (that had Mrs Emmit in a panic.) and got to Mildura unscathed.
I asked him what he was going to do with the car as he was unable to sell it in Vic. without an MOT. Scrap it he said.

So Dad suggested he sell it to someone who needed to get back to WA.

Two weeks later and another conversation.
Me "What happened to the car"
Him "I 've got rid of it"
Me "How much did you get"
Him "Nothing"
Me "It must have been worth something"
Him "Yes it was. I've got a deposit in "The Bank of Karma"
Me "Whats that"
Him "I reckon I've done someone a favour. Someone down the line will do me a favour when I need it."

That's my boy.

Sounds like a scene from the film
Pay it forward
If you've not seen it
Go find it
It's a really good film

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Sounds like a scene from the film
Pay it forward
If you've not seen it
Go find it
It's a really good film

His Mum made him ring every night to tell her that he was safe and sound.
He was very proud of the 37 to the gallon he got out of the Holden.
He did it by waiting for the first Roadtrain to go his way in the morning and getting 'Sucked'??? along the road.
Apparently he didn't see much of the desert. Just the Ar5e end of a big truck.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
I have no problem helping folks out if I can. I know how appreciative they can be having been helped out by strangers in the past.

My view of life is

'Treat other people as you would like other people to treat you"

Simples!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back