Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
There seems to be confusion over electronic tolls in Portugal. Thought I would update you on our experience.
We decided to.not bother with them and set sat nav to non toll. However we still ended up on one yesterday and judging by the few display boards we passed we reckon we owed them about€6 and no way of paying. Not wanting to be fined we thought we would try and register our vehicle.We asked around last night a friendly local told us to go to post office in Leira. Found that and were redirected to ctt in the town. Found that....queued for 20 mins to be told we only deal with portugese cars not English. Asked where to go and she said "just drive and they will send you a bill to your house....maybe!"
So will continue to avoid tolls anyway but we know if we inadvertently end up on one we have done our best to try and pay our dues!

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
There seems to be confusion over electronic tolls in Portugal. Thought I would update you on our experience.
We decided to.not bother with them and set sat nav to non toll. However we still ended up on one yesterday and judging by the few display boards we passed we reckon we owed them about€6 and no way of paying. Not wanting to be fined we thought we would try and register our vehicle.We asked around last night a friendly local told us to go to post office in Leira. Found that and were redirected to ctt in the town. Found that....queued for 20 mins to be told we only deal with portugese cars not English. Asked where to go and she said "just drive and they will send you a bill to your house....maybe!"
So will continue to avoid tolls anyway but we know if we inadvertently end up on one we have done our best to try and pay our dues!

there was a thread a while ago with some useful information....
ill try and link it ..
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/electronic-toll-roads-in-portugal.103883/
ta andy

OP
OP
Jandek

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
Thanks Andy. We did read that but there is still confusion. Seems you can only register at 4 crossings in the whole country. What if you aren't near them? Nobody seems to know what to do then?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
My advice is don't worry...

You could try and pay online but my Portuguese (former) boss, LMP production director has been trying many times to pay a ten euro fee for me without success yet!

JJ :cool:

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Thanks Andy. We did read that but there is still confusion. Seems you can only register at 4 crossings in the whole country. What if you aren't near them? Nobody seems to know what to do then?
Have to agree..
On a recent trip I didn't register and set the nav to avoid tolls, but if I was doing it again I would most probably register just in case I did what you did..
Ta andy

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
We did the same about three years ago - on a toll road by mistake. Tried to find a way of paying afterwards, to no avail. We are still waiting for the fine, however!

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Only Four points to register in the whole country, so if you enter and nowhere near one and there is none on exit what are you supposed to do ?. Pete

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
I arrived from Spain via the a49 on Monday . After driving over the border there's a sign for tourists to pull over and you just insert your credit card, it reads your number plate gives you a receipt and hey presto job done. Will see what I get charged when I get home.

Nov 28, 2010
Torrevieja, Spain
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip H720
Exp
December 2011
It is alright to set sat nav for no tolls but you must also set it to avoid motor ways in southern Portugal
Mickymouse

OP
OP
Jandek

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
Have now been to tourist info at Nazaire and told to go to ctt and can and buy pre paid toll card! Lets see how we get on tomorrow.
Not raining Pete! Glorious sunshine.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
forget the tolls you cannot pay after you are liable just enjoy yourself i have been here a few days and have used the motorway (tryin to find pedro's) but like last time i was i never bothered never heard a thing however u must set ya sat to avoid motorways to make you you dont stray onto them

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
the weather here is like anywhere else unpredictable its been lovely all the time i have been here
i left benidorm because of the crippling heat the algave has always had a good wind from the atlantic keeping it cooler rain or not its a beautiful country and 1 not to be missed

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
just been down to sagres and the wild camping there seems still available

Deleted User
No need to never seen rain in France while we have been there, being from Manchester we have had enough rain.

Never seen rain in France!!!!!!!

We have a static caravan in S. Brittany and believe me it rains.

Went to Alsace for a week in September a few years ago.....never stopped.

Camped by the banks of the Dordogne when the kids were with us, could set the clock by the thunderstorms every night, the river was brown and getting ever closer to the top of the bank between us and the raging torrent.

On the whole it probably does rain a little more in Portugal than in the semi desert areas of Spain but the weather is not the only attraction!

I lived most of my life in Rochdale.....I know about rain:)

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Dont people get worked up about a bit of banter, admitidly we were in Portugal in Jan/Feb at Camping Albufera never again, and France in June/July touring around, and yes I will admit we have seen rain in Spain and not on the plain's. Pete ;)
Ps I work on Yorkshire street for a short time back in the 70's.(y)

Deleted User
Dont people get worked up about a bit of banter, admitidly we were in Portugal in Jan/Feb at Camping Albufera never again, and France in June/July touring around, and yes I will admit we have seen rain in Spain and not on the plain's. Pete ;)
Ps I work on Yorkshire street for a short time back in the 70's.(y)

Worked up.......moi.....never:)

Yorkshire street not like it was now, we only return to see one of the kids occasionally now and it seems to go downhill more each time.

We always stop on a CS in Heywood and often get the bus into Bury, what a difference and only about 6 miles from Rochdale, sad really.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Worked up.......moi.....never:)

Yorkshire street not like it was now, we only return to see one of the kids occasionally now and it seems to go downhill more each time.

We always stop on a CS in Heywood and often get the bus into Bury, what a difference and only about 6 miles from Rochdale, sad really.

Yes we go to Bury sometimes Market etc, we usually stop at Burrs Park, maybe having a bit of a meet there later with freinds from Spain, we got married in Heywood many moons ago, last time I went down Yorkshire St I know what you mean, I find a lot of places have gone down hill over the years. Pete

OP
OP
Jandek

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
Toll card sorted! Went to ctt (post office). Very helpful lady sold us € 10 card. Text to register vehicle and then you get text confirmation. Will get another text when low in credit. So easy ...dont understand why the first ctt office couldnt have done that!

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Went to Tourist Information office in Bragança on Wednesday and a lovely lovely lady told us the following, in perfect English>>>>>>>>

1. Take documents to Post Office and register vehicle but it can be time consuming.

2. Register at automatic machine at border point but not many of those ...... Yet!

3. Ignore them as foreign number plates cannot be read by the ANPR system ....... YET!!!!!

Take from this post what you will and enjoy your trip

Bryan

Deleted User
Went to Tourist Information office in Bragança on Wednesday and a lovely lovely lady told us the following, in perfect English>>>>>>>>

1. Take documents to Post Office and register vehicle but it can be time consuming.

2. Register at automatic machine at border point but not many of those ...... Yet!

3. Ignore them as foreign number plates cannot be read by the ANPR system ....... YET!!!!!

Take from this post what you will and enjoy your trip

Bryan

They recognise mine OK, I have registered online and paid upfront and the correct deductions have been made.

I was checked at Motorway service area in May last year and they had records going right back to the introduction of the electronic tolls. I had to pay some tolls that had not been collected by the chaotic system at introduction but because they could see that I made an effort to pay(transponder that cost me €30) I was not fined.

They may not have the facilities to pursue you in the UK but in the unlikely event that you are checked later in Portugal they do keep records.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
An Algarve living expat whose name I won't mention, has been driving up and down the electronic tolled motorway in his English reg vehicle without paying, for some considerable time.

My people tell me they got him and he had nearly €500 to pay!

Excellent... I was well pleased!

JJ :cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back