Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Majestic 155
Exp
I'm a newbie
Grandson's here, mother and baby fine funsters sticker in window and tunnel booked for Friday, first time! Thing is we are going to Italy and we've decided to go via Alsace(after reading posts on here) would you recommend going through Switzerland and if so do you know a good place to stop, if not any other routes would be appreciated, thanks Kevin.

OP
OP
Kevingrc

Kevingrc

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Majestic 155
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks @Judgemental, but can you recommend a great place to visit on our way through, thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Kevin,
Not sure if this helps, but I did that route last year, but to Lake Maggiore, not Garda. We stayed in Eguisheim and got the bus in to Colmar. Eguisheim is very quaint and has its famous rooftop Storks.

We stayed at Les Trois Chateaux campsite, because it's only 500m to the town centre. Campsite was not 5 star, but adequate.

Went through Switzerland into Italy over the mountains. Fabulous drive. Very picturesque, but plenty of gear changes.

Don't forget that you have to pay for a Vignette if you go through Switzerland. You get stopped and the Franco-Swiss border at Basle and divided into those that have a vignette and those that don't. You pay there and then. There are other outlets that sell them too. Quick and painless, apart from the 40ChF!

Hope this helps?
James

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We're going to stop at Broken Link Removed at Lake Luzern when we do the same trip in July based on recommendations from people on here.
I've spoken to them by email and they seem helpful. You can't book in advance but they say they will fit you in.

OP
OP
Kevingrc

Kevingrc

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Majestic 155
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for your replies and recommendations all appreciated,

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
We're going to stop at Broken Link Removed at Lake Luzern when we do the same trip in July based on recommendations from people on here.
I've spoken to them by email and they seem helpful. You can't book in advance but they say they will fit you in.
Just be prepared to pay nearly €50 per night, nice site but very expensive. :( I stayed there on the way to Italy recently, like you on others recommendations but decided to drive through Switzerland on the way back and stay at an Aire just inside France for just €5.00 per night, no brainer. :)

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
Funster No
MH
swift escape 640
Exp
since 2009

lido lucern may be expensive just as a stopover but has good facilities if you need to refresh the van. we stayed 2 nights recently on way to Italy its a lovely place to have a break if you are not in a hurry. on return we drove through to luxenburg . recommend as a lovely break on way back.[outdoor queen tribute concert next door was a bonus] our first to Italy. and very enjoyable

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Just be prepared to pay nearly €50 per night, nice site but very expensive

Not according to either their website or their email to me. CH20 per night if you're under 5000kg, CH30 if you're over.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Stayed there last month and it was 47 euro a night.

Just emailed them again for confirmation. I'll post the reply when I get it. (y)

We were planning 2 or 3 nights there so if that is the case and all their published info is wrong then we may revert to plan A of Chamonix and Mont Blanc tunnel to get to Garda.

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Not according to either their website or their email to me. CH20 per night if you're under 5000kg, CH30 if you're over.
No its not, its 47chf, we stayed on the site in June. If you stay 4 nights you get a fifth free so that brings it down. (Found out accidentally so please ask when booking)Also, they offer the golden ticket trip at 20chf reduction each, expensive but well worth it and a great trip to do, as recommended to us on here.

Attachments

• IMG_20150523_131719.jpg
    IMG_20150523_131719.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 7
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
@davidbaldam

You are quite correct (y) It appears that the CHF20 they quote is just for the pitch. All people, kids, dogs, electricity etc are extra. I don't care how nice it is, I'm not paying CHF62.80 a night! This is the email I've just had back from them so it looks like a rethink is in order. Chamonix is looking good :D

Good Morning,

We are very happy you choose our campsite for your holiday.

Below you find the prices for one night;

2 Erwachsene (adults) 20.00 CHF

1 Jugendlicher (child) 5.00 CHF

1 Stellplatz (pitch) 20.00 CHF

2 Hunde (dogs) 8.00 CHF

1 Strom-Pauschale 4.00 CHF

(electricity, just if you need)

2 Müllgebühr (garbage) 1.00 CHF

Kurtaxe:

2 Erwachsene Kurtaxe (taxes) 4.80 CHF

--------------------------------------------------

Gesamtkosten: 62.80 CHF

We look forward to your visit.

All further information can be found on www.camping-international.ch

Best regards

Camping-Team Lido Luzern

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Thats expensive at £40.40 but it is lucern Switzerland. Stayed there years ago and it was approx £30 :(

Lots off other sites, have never paid more then £35 but we tend to drive straight through these days....

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
We went down through France, Belgium, Luxembourg then back into France before driving through Switzerland. If you choose an Aire close to the Switzerland/ France boarder then the drive through Switzerland should only take about 3 / 4 hours one problem we had is the Gotthard Tunnel is down to one lane each way so got caught in a 3 1/2 tail back so much from Swiss organisation if you get a clear run then it's cheaper to go via Switzerland. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back