rupert

Funster
Nov 23, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
caravaning on and off 10 years
hi all i have an AT. cheyenne and am thinking about fitting a temperature mixing valve (TMV)to improve hot water supply to shower. anybody have any experience of this ,or know what is fitted as standard. any info would be gratefully received
thanks alan

OP
OP
rupert

rupert

Funster
Nov 23, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
wot! nobody ?

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Got one of these in our Mohican seems fine . Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

buckby

Free Member
Sep 6, 2013
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Thermostatic shower valve as above is probably the best idea as the tmv may be hard to fit without it working on the shower and the kitchen.
The pipe work in my Autotrail is 15mm so speedfit fittings will work on it just use stainless inserts if going on to compression fittings.

OP
OP
rupert

rupert

Funster
Nov 23, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
thanks for the feed back..i was kinda thinking of using a tmv to control temp of ALL the hot water by fitting near the boiler.
figuring the boiler can be scalding hot, that way i would have more warm water to shower in
what do ya think ,does that make any sense

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
thanks for the feed back..i was kinda thinking of using a tmv to control temp of ALL the hot water by fitting near the boiler.
figuring the boiler can be scalding hot, that way i would have more warm water to shower in
what do ya think ,does that make any sense
Not really. If the water is too hot you mix more cold with it manually. Thermostatic valves make it safer by preventing scalds but only if you're prone too stepping in without checking first.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Why dont you just turn the temperature knob to heat to a lesse degree or am I missing the point here.

OP
OP
rupert

rupert

Funster
Nov 23, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
trouble is, my shower tap is crap it takes ages to get the temp right then the hot water runs off and yer washing soap off yer
with cold water (not nice) thats why i'm asking funsters. for there experiences with the cheyenne (2004 ).
are they all crap or have i a fault

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
trouble is, my shower tap is crap it takes ages to get the temp right then the hot water runs off and yer washing soap off yer
with cold water (not nice) thats why i'm asking funsters. for there experiences with the cheyenne (2004 ).
are they all crap or have i a fault
hi alan, if I remember correctly, you saw my van at the fix it , so you know its a self build, not a Cheyenne lol..
but I have a mixer valve on the hot water outlet of the calorifier /hot water tank.. the water temperature on the combitronic heating system can be high so to make the small hot water tank go further they recommend fitting a mixer valve on the hot water outlet... it was a bit lost on me as you can do the same at the mixer tap on the sink and shower anyway, but I installed it and set it to give a hot water supply that I could just about keep my hand under without adding cold at the tap.....if you follow that:)... works fine and can be adjusted easily either way
ta andy.

OP
OP
rupert

rupert

Funster
Nov 23, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
thx for the input andy.
thats more or less what i'm trying to achieve. although there are mixers fitted within the taps
these just mix the incoming hot and cold, and because the hot temp is so high any slight adjustment at the tap makes
a big difference... i.e.. burnt bum. so if i can reduce temp to tap without cooling at boiler i will still get maximum volume
of warm water...i hope that makes sense haha

buckby

Free Member
Sep 6, 2013
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
If you want to do the whole motorhome it will work fine I have got a project on the student accommodation to fit tmv's under an energy efficiency scheme as the hot water will last better if students don't let it go down the drain at 60 degrees

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Easy solution. Set water temp , then get in and wet , turn water off. Soap up then turn water back on and rinse. Saves water and if you dont move your knob it will still be at the same temperature.
Simples :)

OP
OP
rupert

rupert

Funster
Nov 23, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
hmmm. thanks for the input irn.... but I've gotta move my knob to turn water off ,and when i turn water back on it starts either cold or red hot. maybe your later AT. has got a thermostatic mixer at the shower tap, but as far as I'm aware ,on my earlier AT. the shower mixer is not thermostatic. unless someone can enlighten me to the contrary

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
at that age AT vans were fitted with a shower head you can turn off by twisting the spray head outlet. set temperature at the taps then shut off the shower head between rinses

like this one if yours has been changed
Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
rupert

rupert

Funster
Nov 23, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
thanks for the link. it is different from the one i have fitted.that maybe a solution
ta biggy

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
thanks for the input irn.... but I've gotta move my knob to turn water off ,and when i turn water back on it starts either cold or red hot.

sounds like a Whale mixing tap..

You could change it for a Reich KAMA single lever mixer tap with shower head, as fitted to Hymers
they operated by moving the mixing tap left / right to adjust temperature.. and up / down to turn water on and off, so once you set the temperature you can turn on and off at will and have the same water temperature ..

OP
OP
rupert

rupert

Funster
Nov 23, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
well i finally got around to fitting a tmv . the only suitable place to put it was under the plinth, in base cupboard in the shower room. the trouble is there is only a small opening to work through, this makes it awkward, but i should be ok to do key hole surgery now. I've just had a shower in it , and it seems good. plenty of hot water and a much smoother control of warm water delivery.and no chance of scalding. tmv cost about £20 plus a replacement fitting and some plastic pipe £5.. it is a definate improvement and glad I've done it. but because it was so awkward to do, in such a limited space, not sure if i would take the job on again

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back