Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Harlow
Funster No
MH
Elddis 175 Prestige
Exp
since 2012
hi guys going to west Scotland in two weeks time can you recommend any must see places , we are going for scenery walks bike rides not shopping thanks xx

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
No matter where you go you will find a lot of scenery! A lot depends on exactly where you are going, The Whithorn peninsula is lovely and quiet - bike rides and walking - further north more dramatic. Two weeks is probably not long enough if you want to get out to some of the further islands. There is a guide to cycling The Hebrides here

http://www.visitouterhebrides.co.uk/see-and-do/cycling

The West Highland Way

http://www.gps-routes.co.uk/routes/...cle/west-highland-way-walking-and-cycle-route

actually a lot of cycle routes in Scotland:

http://www.gps-routes.co.uk/routes/home.nsf/uk/cycling-in-scotland

enjoy!

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Without sounding flippant, do take warm clothes and waterproofs........... seriously (y)

And it might be worth buying some 'midge nets' for your heads (trust me, you will know what I mean when the midges find you!)

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Without sounding flippant, do take warm clothes and waterproofs........... seriously (y)

And it might be worth buying some 'midge nets' for your heads (trust me, you will know what I mean when the midges find you!)

We just got back in time(last week) they were just starting to be a pain.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We live on the west coast, gone to Holland because of midges. No, seriously, two weeks not enough, been going up for the last 40 years and still discovering new places. We do try and avoid the midges though so don't go north between June and September. Skye is as bit of a hit and miss, wonderful when sunny, the rest of the time it disappears in the mist and rain. Just go and see what you find. Enjoy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Ridiculous request, every bend in the road is another photo opportunity and somewhere to explore. Don't miss out anything, look in every nook & cranny you will have a fabulous time.

Just spent a week near Oban, weather good and the seafood ..... that could be another 2 pages.

Enjoy and explore, the things YOU find will be your finds and differ from others.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Try Isle of Cumbrae for a cycle round the island . Its only 10.5 miles and really is the main tourist attraction on the island. Just stock up in Largs before you go though there is a few shops in Millport.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
hi guys going to west Scotland in two weeks time can you recommend any must see places , we are going for scenery walks bike rides not shopping thanks xx

It`s all just a big sweetie shop, we`ve been going for years, just got back from a month touring around and never tire from it`s magnificence .

Have a look at a website called "walkingworld" £18 subscription but 1000`s of very detailed walks from all over Europe, we have done many of the Scotland ones.

Just enjoy and pay heed to advice re the midges, much better on the East Coast at this time of the year, last week we were on The Black Isle watching the Dolphins from the beach feeding on the running Salmon.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
The east coast has it's own attractions - try panning for gold at Helmsdale or look for Scottish Rubies on the beach at Elie.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Never found gold or rubies on the west coast though........ a few carnelians (not gem stone quality) and a little quartz but that was all of interest. Each to their own.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Best advice is to avoid midge season. Enjoy(y)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Best advice is to avoid midge season. Enjoy(y)
Correct!
January to December.
Don't want flooded with all these touristy folk!:giggle:
Leave more room for us yokels, eh locals.

As others have said, it's a big place, even just the West Coast. You could spend a fortnight alone in D&G, Argyll, etc and never see half of them. Suggest you limit your "search" to a specific area and take it from there.

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
My current favourite for a shortish trip is Arisaig. (west side) I also love the Moray coast (east side and less midges). If you're a golfer the Findochty (pronounced Finnechty) site near Buckie has free golf on a fabulous cliff top course. We live in Scotland and still haven't seen a fraction of it.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
My current favourite for a shortish trip is Arisaig. (west side) I also love the Moray coast (east side and less midges). If you're a golfer the Findochty (pronounced Finnechty) site near Buckie has free golf on a fabulous cliff top course. We live in Scotland and still haven't seen a fraction of it.
And more importantly a pub at the gate!(y)

OP
OP
Cliffy38

Cliffy38

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Harlow
Funster No
MH
Elddis 175 Prestige
Exp
since 2012
so my husband is now getting worried, he only has to see something that will bite or sting and he will be covered, 5 bites from a close encounter with a single bug yesterday. Is there a very good midge repellent or should we consider devon and cornwall as a better option?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
so my husband is now getting worried, he only has to see something that will bite or sting and he will be covered, 5 bites from a close encounter with a single bug yesterday. Is there a very good midge repellent or should we consider devon and cornwall as a better option?

Smidge is said to be a good repellent. I have citronella spray, candles, oil etc and that appears to work (I usually get eaten alive). You can also get bands that you wear around your ankles and wrists (Aldi had them a couple of weeks back and may have some left).

Some places are worse than others..... the area around Loch Shiel / Loch Sunart I found to be the very worst. The west coast is warmer and wetter - the conditions the midge prefer. Any area where there is little wind and plenty of water is a biting insect breeding ground :(

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Another vote for Smidge, my brother does a lot of outdoors stuff and lives in Fort William. He has tried them all and Smidge is best. It also works in Spain for other flying irritants!

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
or should we consider devon and cornwall as a better option?

NO ! I live in Scotland and we are off to Devon and Cornwall next week or so........... if you go there'll be less room for me ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back