new and looking (1 Viewer)

andynann

Free Member
Apr 9, 2009
atherton lancs
Funster No
Exp
thirty odd years
Goodevening,we are new to the forum,having caravans for thirty odd years we are now looking for a fifthwheeler and pickup,we will be looking for a good second hand outfit for now,any one know of any going ,we have looked and studied and are set on looking for a fifthwheeler,any tips ect welcome.
AndynAnn:thumb:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Dylan on here might know someone who is selling a rig.

Sure she will answer this thread:winky:

Yetties

Free Member
Nov 19, 2007
Radstock Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Hi

Hi nice to know of someone else that has an interest in a fifth wheeler (5er) do you know how big you want and what sort of pick up and what about budget would be happy to chat here or by phone if you wish
Neil

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi AndynAnn, 5ers are becoming more popular than ever. Apart from the actual travel which I personally would dread, the living arrangements are excellent and you always have an extra vehicle when on site. There are a few 5er owners here so I am sure you will get some advice. There will also be lots for sale at the Peterborough Show at the end of this month, so that will be worth attending if you can get there. Meanwhile; welcome to the Fun:Smile:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Welcome to the house of fun

Wildmanfirelogo4-1.jpg

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Goodevening,we are new to the forum,having caravans for thirty odd years we are now looking for a fifthwheeler and pickup,we will be looking for a good second hand outfit for now,any one know of any going ,we have looked and studied and are set on looking for a fifthwheeler,any tips ect welcome.

Hi Andy and Anne.

5th Wheeler is the way we'd like to go as well.

Dood luck with your searching and Welcome.:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
do you know if a euro pickup or a small mini truck is what you would like to drive?i go for the mini truck ,i used an lt 50 to start with then a mitsubishi canter6.3 ton converted to a mini artic. there is some advantages to using a truck over 3.5 ton gvw. excempt mot, also ministry plating excempt. but the trailer must impose 20% of its weight onto towing unit to complie. alot of 5thwheelers arent artics, but only 5th wl coupled. dont go too big unless you are confident in towing . i have a 20 ft trailer, combined length under 30 ft. its only 2ft longer than a mazda bongo n 10ft caravan. keep on trucking. :thumb:

outlaw

Free Member
Feb 7, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
2 years
Hi Andynann, we have a fifth wheel our 1st experience of caravanning, had it 2 years now and it has been great. We are just making our way home after a year on the road 5 months around the UK and then 7 months in Spain / Portugal.
We bought ours from Gregg at Niche marketing in Linconshire and found them to be most helpful I am sure if you contact them they will be able to sort you out.
Good luck and look forward to seeing you on the road.

Steve/Heather

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi and welcome to the best spot for fun and info!!
you must think very carefully about how much space you need, and where you intend to go with it, you can get 40ft and three axles with a monster of a truck, or a 25ft and a Jap. pickup, and a hellava lot in between.
I would not go more than 30ft, but it all depends where you are going with it (and if you wil live in it)
A 5er is a dream to tow compared to a caravan, and is easy to hitch and unhitch.
Good luck with your search.
Nigel & Pamala

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Half way through a 2-3 month tour of France/Portugal/Spain and a few other country`s, with a 5er,, first time we have owned one,

All I can say is it is a bit daunting at first but after the first few miles it gets less daunting and a real pleasure..

The only thing I would recommend is to study your sites for access and suitability as to whether they can take a big`ish rig, but that goes for the big American M/H as well.

Just do your groundwork prior to your trip,, They are cavernous with one or two slide outs and make for comfortable luxurious living.

What ever one you decide on try and go for a bigger truck than the salesman recomends.

We were lucky and can honestly say the guy we bought ours from seemed to give us true unbiased information on the truck, and it has been a superb combination.

Good Luck with whatever you choose but take your time and do your home work.

OP
OP
A

andynann

Free Member
Apr 9, 2009
atherton lancs
Funster No
Exp
thirty odd years
thanks for the welcome

l think we will be looking for either a mazda bt 50ts2 or ford ranger thunder or wildtrak,fifthwheeler 27 max not sure which yet,we are now thinking of going to the peterbourgh show,does anyone know if there will be any second hand outfits for sale or is it just new one s,looking forward to chatting with you all.l have pulled hobby caravans for years the big one s so used to towing,of course it helps being hgv driver
AndynAnn:ROFLMAO:

Deleted User
Hi, we have a Mazda BT50 pulling a Calder Leisure Ultralite 26 ft long, if you need any info. please PM me and I will try to help.
Alec & Kath

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
AFAIK you cannot legally tow an 8ft wide with a small truck, this does rule out nearly all the US imports, I think Calder only import "narrow" ones, you may find it difficult to get a 2nd hand one. If you are not in a hurry, one will turn up.
See you at Peterborough??
Nigel & Pamala

syranara

Free Member
Aug 15, 2008
Northfleet, Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
5th wheeler
Exp
Hi welcome,

You've set my OH off now. He's determined now that we have just got to get a fifth wheeler - it's his dream :roflmto:

I'll be interested to see how you get on. Love this site - great, friendly people who give brilliant advice.

Marion & Mick

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Hello and welcome :welcome:

I towed a fifth wheel (28ft with a Ford F350) horse box after my friend had fallen off his polo pony and was too dazed to drive, I had never driven in the states before let alone something that big but I made it back in one piece (151 miles) with little difficulty :winky:

Go for the biggie if you have room to store it I say :winky:

Boo

OP
OP
A

andynann

Free Member
Apr 9, 2009
atherton lancs
Funster No
Exp
thirty odd years
Goodevening,we know its going to be a waiting game to get a fifthwheeler second hand,may take a trip up to calder leisure in livingston,but we are lucky our daughter lives in livingston ,its going to have to be a 7ft 6ins wide ,so if any one spots a set up or fifthwheeler pm us ,usualy online daily :winky: soz if weve set u guys of out there but boys are boys lol,just got to say what a friendly site this is.

tink

Free Member
Sep 9, 2008
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
5ver
Exp
30 on & off
Hi AndyAnn also got my 5ver from Greg @ Niche Marketing sound bloke very helpful,26' Sun valley have been using L200 to pull it but now going same route as VWAllen only not as big as 6.3t but a crew cab transit,reasons being it's a bit wider so won't have to bother with towing mirrors & room to carry a motorcycle between back of cab & fifth wheel also being a trucker like Allen I feel more at home with a small truck than a euro pick up,:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
my mitsubishi may have a 6.3 ton gvw. but they are the lightest trucks of their kind . a transit doesnt have a verybig train weight. becareful best to have some spare. iveco and isuzi also make ideal trucks for conversion . my mitzy is a 7seater double cab , must put a new pic on site. the change to 5ers is growing very quickly i have been pulling mine for 10yrs i converted the lynton trailer myself . 7ft6ins wide it made the ideal trailer wheels at the back gives lots of clearance for off roading in maroc . a 4x4 unit would be nice but i cope very well anyway. dont think too long do it its a big playground out there , always liked tonka toys. :thumb:

OP
OP
A

andynann

Free Member
Apr 9, 2009
atherton lancs
Funster No
Exp
thirty odd years
Goodevening all,well its been a busy weekend ,had a full house today,weve been thinking and maybe a new fw is now the way to go,a pickup is easy to find ,but we need an outfit NOW,we are going to the peterbourgh show on the 26th april,anyone going that day,off to sulk till where on the road.
Andy n Ann:cry:

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
As it happens I do know of one for sale PM me for details if you are interested.
Eileen

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
Hi Andyann,
I have just taken delivery of a new 5'er that I directly imported from the US. At an exchange rate of £1 : £1.47, I have saved myself literally thousands in comparison to buying one locally, as well getting a significantly improved specification.
I cannot recommend highly enough the Company that I used to do the conversion work here in the UK, the same company that Old-mo used to purchase his 5'er and pick up and yes they will be at the Peterborough show.

If you want more information then pm me.

Rob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back