Really Desperate 8.1 Help Needed - Urgent Please. (1 Viewer)

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi All,
before I throw this brand new, top of the range laptop out of the window I am asking for some help.:mad:

Bought it this weekend and opened it up - within a few minutes "you have to open an account with Microsoft" etc etc, This I did.
Here are my problems - it's like Microsoft has taken over my whole laptop.:mad::mad:
1, I now switch on and the screen has a strange pattern desktop picture.
2, I now tap on the picture and a log in screen comes up asking me to log on to outlook and an email address (which is at outlook).
Tap in my password and 'now I can get into my laptop' - used to be just straight in - until I registered,
3, On my favourites bar I had my Hotmail email account - it's still there, however when I tap it, it doesn't go to my Hotmail email account it goes straight to "my new outlook account" looks similar but all my emails, folders the lot has gone.
4, No probs I thought - open internet explorer, go to google then Hotmail, go to sign in page, press button and it takes me immediately to this Outlook email address, the same one as on my favourite bar - not me@Hotmail but me@Outlook.

I don't want this new Outlook email - I want my own Hotmail account where all my emails, folders, customer details etc etc etc etc are kept. I CANNOT get to my Hotmail email account as every time, and way I try to, this damn new laptop takes me to Microsoft's Outlook email account - which is bloody empty (except for a 'welcome to Outlook' email)

Please, does anyone know how the hell I get back onto my Hotmail email account instead of this bloody 'virus' Outlook account - Everyone who knows me contacts me via Hotmail, now I have to use my iPhone to get to my emails.

Also, I am a computer numpty and any help will be appreciated if it's in English (not cashes and gigga-b-neptunes.

HELP - PLEASE.(n)

Regards,

Trikeman.;)

Jun 22, 2011
Onchan, Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
I cant really help but you have my sympathy.

Where you went wrong was in signing up to Microsoft who want to take over everything. You can in fact use W 8.1 without setting up a windows live account, its not clear at the time, but it absolutely can be done.

Now you are where you are I am not sure that you can go "back" to where you were.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
124d53098f2c428d355366cb0588000a.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you havent done anything other than turned it on and registered with microsoft/windows live then just do a factory reset then dont register with MS.
if you havent saved anything theres nothing to lose.
when it asks you to register simply ignore the request.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!

Tim - our grandson - was only a bit older than that, whilst Samantha his little sister was about the age of that little cracker - when he regularly would remove all things posted through the tape slot by her from anyone's VCR ! - knew exactly what screws he needed to remove to take it apart a bit too - if it was more fiddly than just toast!

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
When you say 'laptop' then mention tapping have you got a new-fangled touch screen doohickey or are you a die hard mouse wiggler like me?

The reason I ask is that I've got Windows 8.1 on a desktop computer so I've totally abandoned the colour blocky touchscreen environment, deleted all the apps and notifications and gone back to the classic plain desktop with a few shortcut icons of my choice pinned on it. Life seems very simple as a consequence. I still have to log in with a Microsoft Live account password but that's it as far as Bill Gates's meddling ways are concerned. Once the password's in the old style desktop pops up and it's yesterday once more.

I realise this doesn't answer your specific Hotmail problem, but once you've sorted it, consider opting for simplicity and chucking out all the coloured blocks.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
As PJ says is probably the only real way of getting back to pre-register state but what happens now that you've got registered an Outlook account? Has the Hotmail one been closed by Microsoft so it won't exist for you to access after factory reinstall?

Sorry I don't know the answer but it may be sensible to check before you do the factory recovery.

Hope you get it sorted out.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Sorry I can't help as I use neither Hotmail or Outlook and it's a long time since I set up a Windows 8 or 8.1 machine so can't remember the detail of the procedure.

However, the OP does contain a point which everybody should be aware of, whatever software they use. E-mail are accounts are for receiving and sending e-mails. They are simply the electronic equivalent of wire in and out trays on a desk. They are not for long term storage of emails, folders, customer details etc. Those items need to be stored in structured folders on a hard drive (as they would be in a filing cabinet) and backed up regularly for safety.

I, too, hope you get it sorted out.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It looks from what I've read that Microsoft are trying to close hotmail. I suggest you will either have to go with the flow as sooner or later they will pull the plug on it or change to another provider, either gmail or if you are a business get your own domain name.

Personally, I am always wary of any business which uses hotmail! :)

Deleted User
The link below will explain how to remove the password.

I recently bought a laptop with windows 8.1 and spent ages getting rid of unwanted apps etc. The most annoying thing to me was the Bling search bar which took a while to get rid of. Sorry can't help with your problem but I spent a while searching internet and found many replies about the same issues that I had.

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
:party2:Got it sorted now - :party2:Not a clue what our 'geeky' friend in work did but all's well in Trikeman towers.

Thanks for the positive responders. :notworthy2:

Trikeman.:laughing:

Reactions: GJH

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back