Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
I am one of the old-fashioned people who prefer using paper maps to technology (it has its uses but only as back-up).

When we are planning to visit any new areas, I like to get the ordnance survey map of the area to see what is around/what roads to avoid in the van/where there will be good photo opportunities/etc.. However, it seems that wherever we decide to stay, it is always at the very edge of the map, meaning that I need to get two. :confused:

My question is, has anyone ever stayed at a location that is in the middle of a map?

I'm wondering whether I should change my way of deciding on a location - get a map first and pick a location that is in the middle, regardless of whether we want to go there! o_O

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We use the Philip's Navigator Camping and Caravanning Atlas of Britain as a planning aid but do have several of the OS street atlases and often add to our collection when visiting new places. That way we avoid places of interest being right on the edge of a map - but, almost inevitably, they will be right on the spiral binding edge of a page of the atlas :cry:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We've got the Phillips Truckers atlas in the van and a similar scale one for France that doesn't have restrictions shown like the Truckers one does. I normally have a quick look so that I know roughly where I'm going but use the satnav when travelling. It's also handy to have them around so when the satnav tells you to take an unexpected turn you can check up and figure out what it's doing and ignore it if it looks wrong.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Anyone else turn the map upside down when travelling south so the right and left are, in fact, right and left?

I do like paper maps :) Have a collection of ancient and current maps. When I did a lot of cycling in the 1970s I preferred the Bartholomew maps to the OS maps, they were on a better scale for cycling.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Anyone else turn the map upside down when travelling south so the right and left are, in fact, right and left?

That's definitely a women thing!! My missus turns it upside down were as I have no problem navigating right side up, likewise the missus cannot visualise room decor or room furniture until it's painted or moved, I won't tell you how many arguments that's caused over the years, but I wouldn't be without her-----------------
Her pension money come's in handy (y)

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
My question is, has anyone ever stayed at a location that is in the middle of a map?

The C&CC Cheddar site near Priddy is pretty good - almost in the middle horizontally, and a quarter of the way down vertically on the OS Explorer 141 (y)

...I'll get me coat.

Steveboy

Free Member
Oct 13, 2011
Wherever my wheels stop.
Funster No
MH
Rapido 972M
Exp
Fulltime since 2011
For goodness sake don't go to the middle of an OS map. Thats where 'they' get you .... (be afraid be very afraid!) If you're near the creases you can nip over the top n hide but safest is right on the edge. 'They' dont like the white bits round the edge. Please heed this, I'd tell you what happened to me but......well lets just say ..... no, no ,no I'm sorry I just can't .... its the shakes and the sweats..... s'all tooo much for me .... !!!

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
[QUOTE="Puddleduck, post: 1453811, member:
I do like paper maps :) Have a collection of ancient and current maps. When I did a lot of cycling in the 1970s I preferred the Bartholomew maps to the OS maps, they were on a better scale for cycling.[/QUOTE]

I've got an old Bartholomew's Guide to the Lake District book. It has a fold out map glued inside the back cover that's printed on a paper/fabric material and the phone numbers for the B&B ' s are listed as Ambleside 14 or Windermere 21 :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

I do like paper maps :) Have a collection of ancient and current maps. When I did a lot of cycling in the 1970s I preferred the Bartholomew maps to the OS maps, they were on a better scale for cycling.
Nothing wrong with turning the map, a navigator in a helicopter will do just that. Helps orientate the features on the map with the ground. When your life depends on it these little tricks make sense.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Jenny has no trouble with North being up and South being down on maps. However - she may say somewhere is East or West, then either smack me (driving) on my left shoulder with her hand, whilst concurrently saying 'It's to the East of where we are now' or on the door widow when it's (apparently) West.

This is 100% true, since it is I, Jenny, aka Sedge - typing this !

Reactions: DBK

Sallytrafic

Free Member
Aug 20, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt on Transit
Exp
since 1988
As to turning the map around to face the direction of travel all soldiers are taught that method in basic training so it's not just a 'woman' thing.
I am a recent convert to these 6km x 6km tiles of 1:50,000 OS maps on my iPad. I like the way you can scroll up to a level where all the map is shown even if you haven't bought the tile. Buying a tile on the fly is very quick as you load credit onto your tablet.Another good point is if you want to look beyond the physical map you can purchase a few tiles on the edge . View ranger is the free App.
When I buy physical maps OS or others I look first at Dash4it.co.uk as they are much cheaper their (my last map from them was £4.2 instead of £7.99)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I just wrote an article about Maps. :) Broken Link Removed

(y)

I also like maps for making notes of good sites, beaches or any other info.. date when we visited.. etc.. great for looking at on a winter night and planning the next trip..

I have old maps my dad left, showing where he camped and walked the coastal path in Cornwall.. I get so much pleasure looking at them and imagining him being there , have also re visited where he went.. some places hardly recognisable, others never changed.

Long after iPad, sat navs, smartphones, computers are history, and the internet cloud is no more.. paper maps survive.. great bits of social history to pass on to your family ..

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I not only read a map with North up I have to go 1 step further.
I cannot abide where the sat-nav is in 3D and you head upwards, it's the irritation of the world constantly rotating on the screen.
My screen is as per map, North Up, if I'm driving South East then my line of travel on the screen heads slowly to the bottom right and the display doesn't jump about.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back