Free Member
Jun 21, 2011
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 580 PR
Exp
3 years
Been back from our latest month long European tour about 3 weeks now, and wondered if anyone else has had the same fault as we had.
In total we did above 4,000 miles at about an average of 60mph. On the way back through Germany the yellow " engine block" warning light came on. Checked the manual and it said it was probably an injector problem and as it was running well and no loss of mpg we carried on.
On our return home we took it the the local Fiat garage who diagnosed a sensor problem. They said they would have to order the parts and that they were a modification of the originals. Obviously this must be a common problem for them to modify the parts, and unfortunately as our motorhome is now 3 years old, it is out of warranty.
As it would be a few days to get the parts, we decided to take the van home, but when I started it up, it would not rev up at all and we had to leave it at the garage.
The parts arrived and we got the phone call to say they were the wrong ones, ours was a euro 5+ not a 5. Eventually after a week, the correct parts arrived and we have our motorhome back.

Ian

Aug 6, 2014
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since feb 2010
I had a similar problem. The warning light came on all of a sudden but appeared to drive OK with no loss of mpg. took it in for its 3rd annual service & first MOT expecting the bill to be about £170. but they too discovered the sensor fault. cost me over £1100 with service & MOT. They advised me that you have to drive excessively with high revs over 3500rpm for about 15min to heat it up otherwise it all gets sooted up and a hefty bill. I was shocked. I asked whether it was a common problem but they did not seem to think so specifically for fiats. They did say that a lot of deisel drivers get caught out now trying to drive carefully to save fuel. I always tried to accelerate gently & keep below 60mph as much as poss to save fuel but obviously been doing it wrong.

Tony drake

Free Member
May 22, 2015
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2008
I deal with a lot of car, van and Motorhome dpf issues. The pressure sensors that you refer to can give problems but unfortunatly it's usually our driving styles that cause the problems as we all try to get as much mpg as we can. By doing this the diesel particulate filter will not re generate which in turn gets blocked and could costs thousands of pounds to fix. Your dealer is right you need to travel above 2500 rpm for around 20mins and I would suggest evey 1000 miles. You will normally know if your van need regenerating as the glow plug light will flash. Do not stop the engine if this is the case as again you will block the filter up.
The other option is to remove the dpf.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
DPF are way more trouble than they are worth, it was a cheap way to comply with Euro5 emissions regulation,
When the DPF regenerate properly it will burn the soot but this will still clog up the DPF with ash, so at some point it will need replacing or cleaning,
But on the other hand if the regeneration isn't successful over time the extra fuel that is pumped into the engine will increase the oil level in the sump,
It's imperative that if your oil level appears to be increasing that the level is reduce before you have a catastrophe runaway with the engine feeding off the sump oil to destruction,
Solution! Remove and discard, fit a suitable canister in its place and refit the pressure sensors so the ECU is happy,

OP
OP
EnGog

EnGog

Free Member
Jun 21, 2011
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 580 PR
Exp
3 years
I haven't got a clue where to find the DPF, what it looks like and therefore how to get rid of it and surely I shouldn't have to.
I personally don't accelerate slowly and at times have reached speeds of 80 mph abroad. Surely this is a problem Fiat should be sorting and doing a recall.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I haven't got a clue where to find the DPF, what it looks like and therefore how to get rid of it and surely I shouldn't have to.
I personally don't accelerate slowly and at times have reached speeds of 80 mph abroad. Surely this is a problem Fiat should be sorting and doing a recall.

It isn't much different with other manufacturer's . They say that one of the causes is not enough heat getting in the dpf to burn off the soot & that any vehicle driven like that needs thrashing for 40 minutes every week to clear . I know of people who have had them block on company cars that never do anything other than motorway high speed work & they've died just the same.
Personally I'd ask the garage to get on to Fiat as if the sensors havenow been modified, then that in itself would indicate that Fiat considered that they weren't up to the job initially & I'd be on to Fiat for a substantial contribution towards the bill.
In reality it obviously should have been a recall.

Tony drake

Free Member
May 22, 2015
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2008
It's normally in in the exhaust section just under the turbo charger and looks similar to a petrol catalyst.
Gus is right though it's not just a fiat issue. All manufactures have problems with them that's why a lot get taken off and the ecu software modified.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Surely if you remove the DPF you must then replace it for the next MOT.
if the guts of the DPF are removed and the pipe reinstalled, you cant see that the DPF has been deleted. an MOT does not include a scan of the ECU map as all vehicles are different and it would be near impossible to check

Tony drake

Free Member
May 22, 2015
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2008
Surely if you remove the DPF you must then replace it for the next MOT.

The dpf only needs to be seen to be there for an mot, there is no test for it. That's why the tuning company I work for modify the software for our dealers all over the world who remove the dpf inners.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We have had the same warning light come on twice now....... once at around 8000 miles and once again at around 26000 miles (just after full service). The second time the engine would not rev up after start, 'limp mode?' then would run after a minute or so.

In each case I called the AA, they 'diagnosed' the fault as a failure in the Exhaust Gas Sensor........ reset it......... bingo! no problem (y)

I think the AA do not have the same 'profit' interest as the dealers :eek:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
we had the sensor fail Euro 5; 3 years old just only last week while loading the train on the shuttle. had just driven at high motoway speeds from Cardiff to Folkstone so should not have had a blocked DPF.

fortunately i carry a laptop and an OBD2 adaptoe so was able to look up the fault via the ECU and prevent it going into limp mode.

had to get the sensor changed near Rennes Brittany in a small FIAT van service agent. to my surprise they diagnosed the fault and produced a part within about 30 minutes, that was after the customary wait for lunch break as we arrived at 12.15.

i was charged Euros 220 for the part and Euros 90 labour that included doing a forced regeneration of the DPF.

was not happy with the cost of the part but they fixed it and we were on our way within 2 hours. which was a bonus.

there is a modified part and its number is OE 51908411. if you shop around on the net it costs around Euros 82 as the same sensor is used on a number of vehicles.

its 2 screws and 2 hose clips and a elecy connector so a 10 minute job under the right side of the rear of the engine bay, access from underneath.

the problem arises as fails then it prevents the regeneration,
the forced regeneration was a hold at 3000 revs for 10 mins ( after engine is at normal working temp ).

our van is 3 years old with 13k on clock and i do not drive for economy. so the sensor was the problem.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
there is a modified part and its number is OE 51908411. if you shop around on the net it costs around Euros 82 as the same sensor is used on a number of vehicles.

Just found this.. May be handy, part no list.

This looks like the jobbie... €56 (But €20 shipping :( )
Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I am getting the warning light and using a cheap plug in scanner found code P2454 Sensor A low voltage.
Tried some diesel cleaner and a hard run at high revs, still there even after clearing the code.
Just looked under the van and can see where this sensor is fitted..

I am no mechanic but could it be as simple as taking the old one off and fitting the new one ????
Anyone to offer advise about this ??

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I am getting the warning light and using a cheap plug in scanner found code P2454 Sensor A low voltage.
Tried some diesel cleaner and a hard run at high revs, still there even after clearing the code.

I am no mechanic but could it be as simple as taking the old one off and fitting the new one ????
Yes. Don't disconnect the battery but leave the Ignition switched OFF until the new one is fitted and reconnected.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007

that is the exact code i had with low sensor .

change of Sensor and an " agressive " regeneration. ( up to normal temp, then run it at 3000 revs for 10 mins. better still if you have the facility on your connector let that control it.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Cheers... I think i will get one one order and give it a go...
My scanner is only a wifi type and nothing on the software for re-gen, so as you say a hard run may be in order.
Fingers crossed...

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
does anyone have the fiat software?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Well this could be good or bad.. Just seen a new sensor on ebay for £25 !!!!
and NO it's not from China :)
It's on order and all the feedback seem's ok....

Further searching seem's that on Polish car spares shop the Bosch part is only 180 Zlots. !! (£30)....

Last edited:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
:(

Failure...
Got all worked up today as I thought I was going to sort my problem..
Nice and sunny, got my tools out, under van and bloody electrical connection is not the same..
Not much different but not just plug and play as i thought..

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
$_57.JPG dpf original.jpg
:(

Failure...
Got all worked up today as I thought I was going to sort my problem..
Nice and sunny, got my tools out, under van and bloody electrical connection is not the same..
Not much different but not just plug and play as i thought..

Found a thread on out and about live back in 2014 about a "kit" that must convert the old sensor to the new one i have just bought. That includes new pipes and a connection lead / harness...
I can find the older sensors on ebay but £145 is the cheapest so far,, "KAVLICO P604 part number 5521030"..
But if these are having an issue it seems daft to refit these.. Some cable adaptor would be the answer but where to find one of those. !!

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
UPDATE..
When I looked to change the sensor, all I did was remove the electrical plug and then discovered it was different so re- attached it.... I did a code clear and gave the job up..
Daft thing is that the light is now staying off..! Did a 40 mile run yesterday on the motorway and it's still off.
Fingers crossed.,

Jandc

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
lowprofile
Exp
Since 2008
Ours has also been a problem. Light on but no loss of power, light then went off for several hundred miles and came back on at random times. Cured by use of Redex in every other full tank. Just done 3k down to Italy no problem ( now I need to touch wood!!)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Had first proper run down the M5 to Malvern , gave it a good blast..
Warning light stayed off all the way, parked at rally stopped engine.
Then they asked me to move the van slightly, started up and bloody light is back on :(
Ran home today with light on, van runs fine.. As it's lashing down with rain I'm leaving it all till tomorrow...

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
that is exact details and and fault code; 2454 & circuit A. change sensor all is now well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back