Jun 14, 2015
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Looking...
Exp
Previous caravanner
Hi all, first post here.

Looking to purchase a MH over next couple of weeks. Budget is anywhere from 10-25k but having read a LOT of the posts on here recently, it seems advisable not to go too crazy on your first as you may not get it right. With this in mind, I've found that around the 16k mark seems to get a decent vehicle.

Having spent hours on autotrader and dealer websites and having visited several yesterday, I've narrowed it down to about 6 I would be happy with.

My question(s!) are initially around the make as my shortlist now includes 2x swift, 2 x auto homes, a fiat and a Lunar. Is there anything in particular I should be looking at in respect of these brands - any warnings?

I did notice people mentioning a tenner to sign up which I more than happy to do but I haven't seen how yet....?

Thanks in advance

Andy

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hello and welcome. The one that I have read about (On here) is the Swift which seems to have a reputation for water ingress. Definitely not what you'd want in a motorhome!

Wyn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
be ready for the multitude of leaky faulty swift comments. but being fair it is true of certain model years

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
my shortlist now includes 2x swift, 2 x auto homes, a fiat and a Lunar.

sorry, but none of these would float my boat.. although some may have been afloat with damp..

if looking for quality and ones that don't come with damp, my advice is to extend your list to include German and or French brands..
damp kills a van.. and while continental are less susceptible, are certainly not immune .. invest in a damp meter ..

Continental vans are generally of better quality, better construction, and fully winterised .. important if you intend to use it all year ..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

CHF

Free Member
Jun 14, 2015
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Looking...
Exp
Previous caravanner
Wow this IS an active forum.

I still can't see the subscribe button (even searched the page for the word subscribe) so I'll click that link - thanks!

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If like me you are using a tablet the subscribe option is hidden in the "hamburger" button with all the other menu options there isn't room for. @Jim might want to look at this. :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

CHF

Free Member
Jun 14, 2015
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Looking...
Exp
Previous caravanner
sorry, but none of these would float my boat.. although some may have been afloat with damp..

if looking for quality and ones that don't come with damp, my advice is to extend your list to include German and or French brands..
damp kills a van.. and while continental are less susceptible, are certainly not immune .. invest in a damp meter ..

Continental vans are generally of better quality, better construction, and fully winterised .. important if you intend to use it all year ..
Thanks for this.

Yes, quality is very important as part of the reason I have a flexible budget as I understand that they hold their value well. Obviously for this it needs to stil be in good condition.

My thinking is that spending 25 now and getting 15 back in 5 years is the same as spending 15 now and getting 5 back in 5 years time. Does this make sense or am I deluding myself?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

CHF

Free Member
Jun 14, 2015
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Looking...
Exp
Previous caravanner
If like me you are using a tablet the subscribe option is hidden in the "hamburger" button with all the other menu options there isn't room for. @Jim might want look at this. :)

5 points for this man. That's exactly what it is.

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
My thinking is that spending 25 now and getting 15 back in 5 years is the same as spending 15 now and getting 5 back in 5 years time. Does this make sense or am I deluding myself?

Looked after and maintained properly, a quality van won't depreciate at that rate.. in fact many hold their price year on year..
after a certain point, age is of little importance.. a 20 yo van in good damp free condition will fetch better money than a damp 5 year old ..they eventually become classics.. like the old Hymers and VW camper vans, which as you know can fetch silly money..

With you're budget you could buy a 12- 15 yo B class Hymer for around £20 - £25k .. or an even older Classic Hymer for a fair bit less ..under £15k .. albeit may need some cosmetic work inside.. they are generally solid and go on for ever.. especially the ones on the Merc chassis with the 3 lt diesel engines .. slow and plodding .. but will do starship miles without missing a beat ..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

CHF

Free Member
Jun 14, 2015
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Looking...
Exp
Previous caravanner
Looked at Hymers but not many have the end lounge as is demanded by her that matters. I'm trying to get her to se how a centre dinette can create that lounge area she needs.

Upvote 0

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
The only thing I would stress is make sure whatever you get you have thought long and hard about the layout.
It doesn't really matter how much or little you spend if the layout doesn't suit and using it becomes a chore.

We looked at lots of layouts before deciding that not having to make beds up was important to us and a garage underneath a bed was essential. We decided we were happy to compromise on size of bathroom and kitchen facilities.

This narrowed down our search dramatically.

Jen

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back