LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We are new to LPG and have 2 x 6kg gasit bottles with a manual changeover. We filled the bottles up completely and the first one ran out last weekend. Sitting in the MH now and tthe 2nd one has ran out but we really have hardly used it.
Why do you think it has ran out so quickly?

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Not got a large fridge and it was hardly on , same as fire. It's just gone empty soooo quickly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
How are your nostrils? LPG has a smell, if can smell nothing ask someone else or make up a strong mix of water and washing up liquid and brush onto any possible place it could be leaking. Both rubber hoses and the washers in the pigtail connectors have a limited life

Dick

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
Its possible with you being new to filling bottles, you did,nt quite fill them both.

Eric

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It depends on how you've used it, assuming it was full originally! Heating can quickly gobble up gas so if you've had the fire on a fair bit that could account for it, alternatively if it's been really hot the fridge working harder could use up a bit more gas too.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
It had a leak test done last month when they were fitted.
I thought when you filled up the LPG it automatically went into both bottles. If this is not the case then that must be my problem.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I rather suspect they weren't filled 100% .. I had some difficulty with my first filling of mine..

when you refill , check how many liters .. 2 x 6kg bottles should take aprox. 24 liters.

if filling stops short by a big margin, you may have a sticky or faulty safety cut-off valve ..

after refilling, recheck for leaks around the hose unions.. spray with some soapy water .. watch for very small bubbles..

post results.

if at all unsure have the system checked by a dealer..

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
It had a leak test done last month when they were fitted.
I thought when you filled up the LPG it automatically went into both bottles. If this is not the case then that must be my problem.

You may have found the reason?
Did you actually fill both bottles or just one? How long did the second one last?
Can you remember how many litres went in? Jim says it should have been around 24.
Interested to see how you get on with the system as we'd maybe think about it.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I will take Vanessa and refill her today.Just off the top of my head I think our fill was around £14 so I thought that would be both bottles.

Just so im getting this correctly... the lever that moves between the bottles I put in the central position when filling last time thinking it would fill both bottles, is this right that the LPG automatically fills both?

The first bottle seemed to last for ages but the 2nd bottle was only used for 3 days and very little. It was only changed over at Goole last sat night and we were home on Monday, then 9nly got another few hours out of it last night before it went empty.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Just so im getting this correctly... the lever that moves between the bottles I put in the central position when filling last time thinking it would fill both bottles, is this right that the LPG automatically fills both?

I think the valve you mention is to select which bottle is in use,, not which one is filled.. both should fill without moving this valve

but don't know your system.. do you have a picture ?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
watching your outcome with interest Sandra, we have a newly fitted Gaslo system, on first filling which was an attended service, he struggled to get any gas in at all, a colleague came out and redid the process and got 20 litres in, but I had no idea how much we had in before he started (bought cylinders second hand and part full). We have no gauge with ours, and have an absolute manual changeover where I need to move the regulator, (like we did with our Calor system) so will know which cylinder we are taking from, but I am nervous that my second bottle could actually be nearly empty before we even use it

Will be refilling before Stratford anyway as we have had 30 nights away on the one cylinder already (some on hook up but most not)

I suspected your filling only did the one cylinder, but there is no way to know which has filled, unless you know for sure both are empty (as you do now) so you will be expecting a double cylinder fill, I think litres are roughly 2 per kg and then allow for the 80% limit, so if my maths are right, 2 x 6kg will take 5kg each so 20 litres in total @ around 70p litre should only be £14, so your original logic was right and a small leak is sounding ominously likely :(

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Just had gaslow fitted - 2x 6kg
I thought that 80% would be about 20litres, however gaslow leaflet suggests 24 litres (which at 500gms per litre is 100% surely :unsure:?) BUT to keep an eye on the pump as occasionally the cutoff doesn't work on the first fill :eek:... plus my installer suggested that a partial first fill best ensures everything works.
So I chickened out at just over 20 litres which was about £13 - so that @irnbru suggests to me that your £14 was a full fill.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

yes, just as I said..

the selector valve is on the takeoff pipes,

the fill line is on the top of the bottles and fills both at the same time

Just had gaslow fitted - 2x 6kg
I thought that 80% would be about 20litres, however gaslow leaflet suggests 24 litres (which at 500gms per litre is 100% surely :unsure:?)

the bottles are sized for the amount they can hold at 80% fill .. so a 6kg bottle at 80% holds 12 lt

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Results to refill : 22.71 L = £12.47

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Do you run the fridge all the time on gas, I was just leaving it on all the time and was surprised how quickly a 13kg cylinder disappeared. I now use 12v when travelling and hook up whenever possible and the consumption has dropped, the hook up also does the hot water so in summer the gas just does the cooking and seems to last for ages.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We have a single 11kg went to France off hook up last year used a bit more than half in 9 nights all hot water and cooking (no heating) big gas fridge freezer sounds like you may have a leak.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
@Langtoftlad did you ever find out what made your gas go down so fast ,, or was it just a refilll issue. , interested as looking at changing to a lpg refillable system.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
@Langtoftlad did you ever find out what made your gas go down so fast ,, or was it just a refilll issue. , interested as looking at changing to a lpg refillable system.
I don't think I've ever said I've had an issue with gas usage, to the contrary I've surprised (and pleased) how long it seems to last.
My queries have been all around the vagaries of filling.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
We go to Europe and used to have a 13Kgs & 6 Kgs Calor Propane which used to last more than our 4 weeks abroad. We used to use the gas for the cooker and always for the large fridge freezer as it ran colder on gas in the hot weather. We have now bought an 11 Kgs and a 6 Kgs Gasit cylinders and will be interested to see how long they last on our holiday this year which has been deferred pro tem because my wife needs to have some tests as she is not feeling well. I will report in due course. I was surprised at how little the cost was to fill the 11 Kgs cylinder c£9 as the 6Kgs cylinder was already full but the big one might not have been empty.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I don't think I've ever said I've had an issue with gas usage, to the contrary I've surprised (and pleased) how long it seems to last.
My queries have been all around the vagaries of filling.
Ignore me im Irish ,, tagged the wrong person ,, as stated below meant to tag the OP :)

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
We go to Europe and used to have a 13Kgs & 6 Kgs Calor Propane which used to last more than our 4 weeks abroad. We used to use the gas for the cooker and always for the large fridge freezer as it ran colder on gas in the hot weather. We have now bought an 11 Kgs and a 6 Kgs Gasit cylinders and will be interested to see how long they last on our holiday this year which has been deferred pro tem because my wife needs to have some tests as she is not feeling well. I will report in due course. I was surprised at how little the cost was to fill the 11 Kgs cylinder c£9 as the 6Kgs cylinder was already full but the big one might not have been empty.
Hope the Mrs is ok :) , how much did it cost you before to buy a replacement 13kg cylinder when your old one ran out ,, ( been YEARSSSS since i last bought a refilled gas tank.)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Hope the Mrs is ok :) , how much did it cost you before to buy a replacement 13kg cylinder when your old one ran out ,, ( been YEARSSSS since i last bought a refilled gas tank.)

£26.25 13 Kgs Calor refill currently
£20.25 6 Kgs Calor light refill currently

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
still say m,homes need bigger gas lockers i paid28.88 for a flogas 19 kg recently.
i had the bottle . but at that price it would take ages to get back the cost of refillable bottles .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back