Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Motorhome Monthly Magazine.
I have just bought my first copy and quite like it. Interesting articles, new products to look at etc. but too much advertising IMO but all mags suffer with that.
Who amongst you take this publication regularly? Is it worth the anual subscription?
There is an offer in this one of 6 issues for £6 if you sign up for DD payments of £9.99 per quarter.
Are there really money saving offers on ferry crossings and campsites?
Would be interested in your views.
TIA
John.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Got bored with all the advertising and same old biased road tests so cancelled it some years ago.
When we first had a van I used to buy it (and Practical Motorhome & the other one that's since finished). Before too long, though, I reached the same conclusion as Brian so packed them all in.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I think this forum gives far more than I can get from MMM
Had a few copies over the years and in all honesty decided that along with the tosh they promote and the adverts ( many articles by the resident jorno' little more than poorly disguised adverts ) it was not really for me

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I think this forum gives far more than I can get from MMM
Had a few copies over the years and in all honesty decided that along with the tosh they promote and the adverts ( many articles by the resident jorno' little more than poorly disguised adverts ) it was not really for me
Never a truer word written (y)

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I subscribe to MMM and actually look forward to my copy arriving. Yes, there is quite a lot of advertising but many people looking to buy a motorhome will find this useful.

I do find the road tests rather biased though, call me a cynic but I think they are a bit wary of upsetting their major advertisers.

Warners do seem to do their best to include something for everyone so overall I like the magazine. I was in WH Smiths today and thought maybe I would buy one of the other titles available - Which Motorhome or Practical Motorhome. Neither of them had enough pages for me to justify the £4 purchase price though.

Paul

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
I am of the opinion that because the subject matter is so small, that articles/reviews etc soon become repetitive.

I agree that better information can be gained from this forum, the information is up to date, varied views are offered and the travel blogs, photographs, humour etc simply add to the experience.

Any repetitive subjects (grey water, generators, waving, polarity, gassing, old tyres etc) can be simply ignored once you have the gist of the issue and the good stuff far outweighs the rubbish.

On the whole magazines, "news"papers and the like have had their day and most will probably cease to exist in 20 yrs time.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
I cancelled my subscription a few years ago now.
Reasons were far too many adverts and too many biased reports.

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I subscribe to MMM and actually look forward to my copy arriving. Yes, there is quite a lot of advertising but many people looking to buy a motorhome will find this useful.

I do find the road tests rather biased though, call me a cynic but I think they are a bit wary of upsetting their major advertisers.

Warners do seem to do their best to include something for everyone so overall I like the magazine. I was in WH Smiths today and thought maybe I would buy one of the other titles available - Which Motorhome or Practical Motorhome. Neither of them had enough pages for me to justify the £4 purchase price though.

Paul
I'm sure you're right that it is helpful to people looking to buy, especially if they are inexperienced. It was for us but not a lot of help subsequently :)

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Continuing with my subscription as I do like the photography in the mags. Also get a discount at each of the Warner shows (4 this year)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We cancelled a few years ago fir the reasons already given.

I also felt ( perhaps wrongly) that some of the features were just regurgitated versions of earlier ones.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I cancelled my subscription pretty much for all the reasons given by those who did the same ... when I found out that Andy wasn't going to do any more articles that was basically the last straw as his was the only one I really enjoyed reading! When I had got 6 months of them unread I decided it was time to stop! Still haven't read those 6 though!

OP
OP
Baycott
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Thanks for all your replies. I think I will just buy it now and again. (y)

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Oh dear. From the comments it seems that I might be cancelling my subscription at the end of the first year :(

OP
OP
Baycott
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Oh dear. From the comments it seems that I might be cancelling my subscription at the end of the first year :(

Ahhhh that's exactly why I asked the good people on here before parting with my hard earned ;)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I've got a subscription @Baycott. I like the Mag' and tend not to micro-analyse it. Discounts for the shows etc are all good aspects. Nice to have a hard copy of something to read.

As far as complaints about repetition goes, how many times do sat navs, reversing cam's, drive away awnings, tyres, satellite TV, damp, batteries, inverters etc, etc, etc,etc appear on here!

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Thanks for all your replies. I think I will just buy it now and again. (y)
Haha :LOL:

I don't think I will buy it 'now' or 'again' hehe......

Seriously, I agree with all before me. The magazines tend to recycle the same old stuff, which is fine if you like to be spoon fed :rolleyes: otherwise they are full (packed!) of adverts for stuff I don't need or want.

When first looking for a van they were a useful resource to me but now I have the van of my choice they no longer interest me.

I used to buy Practical Motorhome (think it's better than MMM) but again, too repetitive blah blah blah:rolleyes:

However............ I must be honest I do still 'surf' the magazine shelf in the shops and find myself a bit like a bunny in the head lights, 'I think I want to buy one'........:eek: .......WHOA! NO !!!! (must be all those glossy photos haha).

Reality is, the internet can provide all the information you need and is no more biased than the magazines (meaning 'just as biased')

Any road up........ £10 gets me all I need here........ including the odd abuse! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
You've all forgotten the most important benefit of the mags. What do you use for the bbq firelighters? Expensive ones though!

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
I really enjoy MMM and look forward to it coming each month. I find it informative and get lots of ideas from it, including campsites and practical matters. Which Motorhome has got better recently and their reviews seem to be less biased, but Practical Motorhome, oh dear! I am a subscriber in the hope it will improve, but it's nothing more than a comic, full of superficial waffle and regular inaccuracies (Upton upon Severn being in the Wye Valley?). You get the feeling their team sit down round a kitchen table each month and think "well what can we write about this month?". Then they look in the filing cabinet and find some reviews of old vans that have gone out of production and some left over stuff from the month before and bung that in. "That'll do!" They exclaim and then they pop off to the local vegetarian cafe to discuss what tosh they can put on the next "Motorhome Channel" episode. Sorry, but that's how I feel about it, and to be honest have no idea why I still subscribe. Perhaps I'm a masochist?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Pretty much all been said, I had it for a couple of years , but as others have said it then started lying about unopened, same with the ccc magazine, never gets opened apart from if we are looking for a meet somewhere, and that's not often now , perhaps once or twice a year, when you have your mh, too much to do , too many places to go to bother reading the same old stuff over and over again.

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
As most of above, heavily biased towards CC etc.
Can't remember last time I saw a report on a bit of kit with a realistic price tag.
They don't even bother quoting tariffs for campsites they showcase now. If you have to ask then you can't afford it I suppose.
Yes we're thinking of cancelling, most of our info comes from FUN.

Apr 30, 2012
Southampton, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Exec
Exp
Since 2012
Before you get your first 'van, you crave information, like an empty computer "more input!" and buy all the mags. Then get your first van and think you know all there is to know. Then you find MHF and get all the input you need plus some comical stuff, and loads of technical things you didn't realise were important. Now I know where to spend £10 a year ::bigsmile:(y)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
the advertising is overwhelming. reviews not informative with sod all important details ...They should have a look at how the German mags do it :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back