LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
What happens if you drive off and forget to turn off your gas and have had fridge or fire on? Does it blow out when you move?

Also I remember reading about something on here a while ago that you buy so you dont need to turn your gas off.
Can someone tell me what it is please.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Never turn ours off except on the tunnel, sometimes even leave the fridge on gas if we forget to change over , sometimes it goes out sometimes not, but don't see a problem.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Most RV fridges are only 2 way, gas or mains, so leave gas on. The only time I switch gas off is on a ferry.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
No it is more about a flaming wreck conflagration , in case of an accident, The same applies to the white lining lorry with a paint boiler, must be off when on the move but they don't always do it.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
unless your gas system include secumotion auto shutoff valves you shouldnt drive with gas on. a lit fridge pulling into a petrol station could be very dangerous. some people do risk it though

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I aint turned the gas off in any of our vans from the day we got them to the day they were sold ...

On most vans the gas valve shuts off when you start the engine and it switches over to 12v.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I aint turned the gas off in any of our vans from the day we got them to the day they were sold ...

On most vans the gas valve shuts off when you start the engine and it switches over to 12v.
Not sure on what you base that statement as the gas systems in most MHs I've come across don't do that! The only ones I've ever been aware of are those with an AES (automatic energy selection) type fridge where it changes from gas to 12v when you drive off.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
What happens if you drive off and forget to turn off your gas and have had fridge or fire on? Does it blow out when you move?
Not in my experience ... when we've forgotten to change it to 12v beforehand you understand! :X3:

Also I remember reading about something on here a while ago that you buy so you dont need to turn your gas off.
Can someone tell me what it is please.
The ones already linked to are what you're talking about but they ain't cheap!

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
No it is more about a flaming wreck conflagration , in case of an accident, The same applies to the white lining lorry with a paint boiler, must be off when on the move but they don't always do it.

Could you please direct me to the legislation of this as I have never seen it once on the many motorhomes that have passed through my ownership.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I can tell from experience what happens....
Nothing, you start the van, the fridge goes over to 12v, you arrive at your destination, and in my case, the wife will choose this point to ask "did you turn the gas off?", lots of swearing then ensues. The swearing increases usually when just to score points she'll say "Did you leave the TV aerial up again?" :D

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
I have the Alugas refillable bottle with the pipe rupture protection that shuts the bottle off if the pipe splits/breaks... So we now leave the gas on...

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Not sure on what you base that statement as the gas systems in most MHs I've come across don't do that! The only ones I've ever been aware of are those with an AES (automatic energy selection) type fridge where it changes from gas to 12v when you drive off.
Even the one in the 1980 Leica ( or what ever its called ! ) thing I have been working on today has an auto shut off and switch to 12v valve on the fridge..

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I quite often forget. The only time I remember 100% is prior to setting off to refill LPG tanks.

The main risk is if you get into an accident and the gas locker gets hit. If it splits the pipe you would have gas leaking out into a potentially hazardous environment that could only make things worse.

I do try to remember to switch off for this reason alone. But I forget occasionally. My Truma boiler doesn't seem to care if I have been doing 70mph it still keeps the back of the van warm. Don't have a gas fridge so don't know on that front.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Always run the fridge on gas when driving, and in the winter we have the gas fire running swell, bloody cold these Autotrail motorhomes.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We always leave the gas on (Except through the tunnel). Its probably not the best practice but it's convenient.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Alugas refillable bottle with the pipe rupture protection that shuts the bottle off if the pipe splits/breaks...

the R67 Gaslow bottles also have an excess flow shut off

I don't turn them off except when instructed to do so.. ie on a ferry and tunnel

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Yes, and the gas to the Truma boiler stays on so you can have hot water or heating or both working when you are travelling if you wish

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I always turn the gas off before travelling, for risk management reasons.
If an accident were to happen there is a risk that a gas pipe could be ruptured. In the event of such a rupture there is a higher risk of fire if the gas is still turned on than if it is off. Turning the gas off manages the risk more effectively.
Some might argue that the risk is so low that such a level of management is not necessary. That is their choice.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I once asked a Truma engineer this same question several years ago. He told me that it was not necessary to turn the gas off in a motorhome whilst under way and that if the Truma was being used whilst driving and it blew out, there was something wrong with it as they were designed to be used whilst driving.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I always turn the gas off before travelling, for risk management reasons.
If an accident were to happen there is a risk that a gas pipe could be ruptured. In the event of such a rupture there is a higher risk of fire if the gas is still turned on than if it is off. Turning the gas off manages the risk more effectively.
Some might argue that the risk is so low that such a level of management is not necessary. That is their choice.
Unless you have Truma Seconotion motion which will turn off the gas in the event of a rupture of a gas pipe.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
We leave ours on.
The van has a secomotin safety shut off system
We also often leave the heating on when on the move.
As far as the fridge is concerned, we set it to auto, so when travelling it goes onto 12v and reverts to gas when we stop. There is about a 15 minute delay before it switches over as a safety feature when filling with fuel at a service station

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back