Manhole Covers (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2013
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year motorhomer after 21 years caravanning
We've just moved into our new home which has a driveway alongside the property - ideal for parking our MH.... or so we thought - problems arise with 2 awkwardly placed manhole covers which I'm not sure are safe to drive over in Ruby (3.65 ton Autotrail FB) Does anyone out there have experience of similar problems and if so, how did you a) work out the max weight the cover takes or b) manage to upgrade the cover to make it safe to drive over?. thanks in advance for all suggestions.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
If its pressed steel I doubt it will take the weight, if its cast iron then probably ok.

Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
as a rule of thumb, if the manhole is pressed steel its barely suitable for a small car to drive over. changing for 5 tonne rated cast iron covers and frames is a heavy but straight forward job. a friend of mine damaged his work van when a manhole on his drive gave way and the wheel dropped down.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If it's the oblong tin looking thing , no, if it's round or triangle cast iron ones , same as in the road , should be ok

OP
OP
MuddyPuddle
Oct 29, 2013
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
as a rule of thumb, if the manhole is pressed steel its barely suitable for a small car to drive over. changing for 5 tonne rated cast iron covers and frames is a heavy but straight forward job. a friend of mine damaged his work van when a manhole on his drive gave way and the wheel dropped down.

Thanks Big1 It is pressed steel and the last thing we want is to damage the MH so replacement to a higher rated cast iron cover seems to be the way to go.....or maybe just lay a heavy metal plate over the existing cover while we park up or move off the drive?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks Big1 It is pressed steel and the last thing we want is to damage the MH so replacement to a higher rated cast iron cover seems to be the way to go.....or maybe just lay a heavy metal plate over the existing cover while we park up or move off the drive?
A metal spreader plate will cost as much as a new manhole cover and will need to be 300 -400mm wider and longer than the manhole its covering so using 6mm plate would be very heavy. plus flat plate steel tends to be slippery too

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I would change the cover . it is just as cheap. and some might think that a large metal plate would look better with them.

OP
OP
MuddyPuddle
Oct 29, 2013
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
A metal spreader plate will cost as much as a new manhole cover and will need to be 300 -400mm wider and longer than the manhole its covering so using 6mm plate would be very heavy. plus flat plate steel tends to be slippery too
Thanks Big1 - V grateful for your replies....will go with the suggested replacement 5t manhole frame and cover... Just have to find a man who can fit it now for a reasonable price :)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks Big1 - V grateful for your replies....will go with the suggested replacement 5t manhole frame and cover... Just have to find a man who can fit it now for a reasonable price :)
If your near Bournemouth I might know a reliable man who could do it for you

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
my job involves changing manhole covers in the road and domestic property's for thames water.if the covers are damaged and your manhole serves another property as well as your own,thames water will replace the cover free of charge.or any other water authority will do the same.

OP
OP
MuddyPuddle
Oct 29, 2013
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
my job involves changing manhole covers in the road and domestic property's for thames water.if the covers are damaged and your manhole serves another property as well as your own,thames water will replace the cover free of charge.or any other water authority will do the same.
Thanks but the cover isn't damaged and only serves our house :-(

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Broken Link Removed
Clark-Drain 5 Ton Steel Manhole Cover & Frame 450x600
Product Code: 240730

• Depth: 30 mm
  • Width: 450 mm
  • Length: 600 mm
  • Material: Galvanised Steel
  • Brand Name: Clark-Drain
Standard solid top galvanised steel access cover complete with Polypropylene frame.

rating.gif

openRatingsHistogram.gif

22 Reviews
Wickes £18.29

The only problem with these covers is that they rust from below. I have had one on my drive for over 10 years

(y)

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Thank you for that tip, Chris. You might have just saved me a job I've been putting off :)

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Put our vans front wheel down a manhole cover on the drive a couple of years ago.. It was a small round cover.. But was cheap garbage and just shattered. Luckily no damage to the van or tyre.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Should that not be a personhole cover?

:cooler:
No it is definitely MANHOLE as most women wouldn't go near it with your bargepole let alone theirs.

The proper material for a cover is DUCTILE IRON,, Elkington Gatic etc. but they are a bit pricey though.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
been out today,and fitted 9 domestic manholes.
we often knock on the door and if a nice lady answers the door we say,"me and my mate have come to look at your manhole":LOL:,sometimes it raises a smile(y)
... and the rest of the time?????

rapido convert

Free Member
Feb 26, 2015
knutsford cheshire
Funster No
MH
A class rapido 996m
Exp
since 07
Were in sitges in spain at the moment, i bet that there are alot of man holes being smashed ,broken and caving in at the moment as its gay pride week :)
Obviously because there is an awful lot of motorhomes about lol
Andy.

OP
OP
MuddyPuddle
Oct 29, 2013
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Broken Link Removed
Clark-Drain 5 Ton Steel Manhole Cover & Frame 450x600
Product Code: 240730

• Depth: 30 mm
  • Width: 450 mm
  • Length: 600 mm
  • Material: Galvanised Steel
  • Brand Name: Clark-Drain
Standard solid top galvanised steel access cover complete with Polypropylene frame.

rating.gif

openRatingsHistogram.gif

22 Reviews
Wickes £18.29

The only problem with these covers is that they rust from below. I have had one on my drive for over 10 years

(y)
Thanks BarclayBasher :)

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
My son drove his Vivaro over the manhole on his drive and it collapsed. Called me just as I was leaving to visit the meet at Misterton so I chucked the trolley jack on the bike and did a detour.
Jacked the van up, board underneath and drove off. Unfortunately some bits dropped down into the manhole and as son is too large to go down it was left to me. Just as I get in the bottom somebody in the house decides to use the toilet and flushes it.

A word of warning, when I tried to buy a replacement I discovered that his was a "bastard" imperial size and non of the new ones would fit. A new frame was also required.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
My son drove his Vivaro over the manhole on his drive and it collapsed. Called me just as I was leaving to visit the meet at Misterton so I chucked the trolley jack on the bike and did a detour.
Jacked the van up, board underneath and drove off. Unfortunately some bits dropped down into the manhole and as son is too large to go down it was left to me. Just as I get in the bottom somebody in the house decides to use the toilet and flushes it.

A word of warning, when I tried to buy a replacement I discovered that his was a "bastard" imperial size and non of the new ones would fit. A new frame was also required.
as they say $#it happens....especially when youre down an inspection chamber

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
As a woman who is very familiar with manholes, any manhole located on your drive or garden will only be rated for cars to pass over.

As previously stated you will need to replace with a heavy duty cover but beware as even with the same size cover the grate it sits in may be unsuitable as well, both in strength and due to some frames and covers being "notched" to fit.

It is safer to change both. The frame should be bedded on a lean mix concrete.

Even with a heavy duty cover don't park up with a wheel on the cover as they are designed for loads passing over not being on them permanently.

Jen &Glyn
(Building inspector & civil engineer respectively)

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Phoned anglia water yesterday, asked about the manky cover and they said it was theirs so would come today and have a looksee. He's just been, painted a big X on it and booked us in for a new one expected to be done in a couple of weeks.

So thank you Chris! Saved me a job :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back