Fridge Vent Fans Recommendations (1 Viewer)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I read about these on an earlier thread and bought a twin fan kit with control panel. Fitted it and it worked fine...... for a week.
Now, when the fans start, there is a high pitched squealing noise and the fans can be heard inside the van, quite loudly. I have emailed and phoned the supplier but as of today, I have been ignored by them.
So, we are due to go to France next week for 6 weeks or so, and I would like to replace these fans with some nice quiet ones while I try and get a refund.
So, the reason for the post, any recommendations?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
image.jpg

image.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Thanks Andy, thats the one I have, its awful, I can hear the startup squeal from 50 feet away. I know its faulty but can't get a response from the retailer.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If you find the fans themselves are faulty (and your supplier doesn't help) take a look at computer fans on eBay. You'll find plenty of choice.

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Yes, the blades move freely, and it does its job of keeping the fridge cool, very well. Its just the noise.
I actually managed to get hold of the company now and they are asking me to send the unit back, might be a bit tight getting a replacement back to me by next week though.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
I have the same as Andy been fitted for 2 years now and works great - cannot hear it until we are in bed and even then I have to listen hard. I check fans now and then for dirt, but other then that let do it's thing.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have used brushless computer fans and you cannot hear them at all. I have used 2 systems for operation, both successful. System 1, the fans wired directly to there own small solar panel on the roof without connection to batteries. This worked well on an American RV with the big fridge freezer. System 2, with a controller bought from Maplins, this was wired to the leisure batteries and worked equally well.. Make sure the fans are positioned at the top grill and pulling air out, as opposed to pushing air up.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I've done the cheap pooter fans before but I prefer the thermostatic speed control and prepared to pay the price.

Reactions: JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I am with Mr Techno100 here.

My mate bought a couple of cheap fans and a thermostat control item, an on/off switch and some wire, because a bloke in a nearby van said it was the way to go...

He got another mate to solder the things together as he didn't have a clue how to, and then he attempted to fit the bodge up into his fridge. It didn't work and the lot went into the nearby bin accompanied with a few words.

He (and I) popped along to Camper Serve the next day (just off the N125) and he bought the pucker kit, off the shelf for €60.

It came with all the brackets, wires, a neat panel with the switch and thermostat controller. He fitted it himself in less than an hour and it looked so neat and tidy you would have thought Terry himself had fitted it.

It has worked perfectly ever since.

All this bodging and ebay dealing and following advice from the next door van man is all well and good and might well save you a few pence but sometimes it's best just to spend a tad more and get it right.

After all, if you are a Freeloader, you have the cash you didn't spend on sites fees loose in your pockets... right?

JJ :cool:

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
@Allanm
Try adjusting the temperature set point. It seems that if the actual temperature is on the cusp of the set point it will create a high pitch frequency (the controller not the fans) moving the set point may help.
If it still squeals in the manual position then ignore the above.

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Excuse my ignorance but why do you need a fridge vent fan, and if needed why are they not fitted as standard equipment?
Because when the weather starts getting warmer, especially abroad, motorhome fridges can't cope with the heat, more correctly, the heat generated by the fridge can't be dispersed through the vents properly and its efficiency drops.
By fitting fans in the top vent, the heat can be extracted and the fridge works better.
As to why fans aren't fitted as standard equipment, I have no idea, but they should be.

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
Because when the weather starts getting warmer, especially abroad, motorhome fridges can't cope with the heat, more correctly, the heat generated by the fridge can't be dispersed through the vents properly and its efficiency drops.
By fitting fans in the top vent, the heat can be extracted and the fridge works better.
As to why fans aren't fitted as standard equipment, I have no idea, but they should be.

I agree. Apparently it is an installation fault. There should be a constant rise from the top of the heat exchanger to the vent in the wall but that poses a problem inside the van if a worktop is over the fridge.

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
@Allanm
Try adjusting the temperature set point. It seems that if the actual temperature is on the cusp of the set point it will create a high pitch frequency (the controller not the fans) moving the set point may help.
If it still squeals in the manual position then ignore the above.
I changed the settings Andy, it doesnt seem to make any difference. I did notice yesterday when we were cleaning and polishing the van, that I hadnt heard the fans, till I said " I haven't heard the squealing fans today" then it started again.
Anyway, as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. Well, to save even more words, heres a video of the fans running.

The noise is coming from the electronics within the fan unit itself, not the controller itself.
As you can imagine, its a tad annoying.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
That noise is coming from the speed controller. Does it still do it if you switch them to manual rather than auto?

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
I ordered another fan kit so I can fit it before we go away on Wednesday. I'll send these back to Rainbow Conversions. I'll also send them a link to the video because they said they would test them when they receive them to see if they are faulty. I don't want them back as they are, the noise isn't there all the time, I am sure their testing won't involve fitting to a motorhome fridge vent!

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
That noise is coming from the speed controller. Does it still do it if you switch them to manual rather than auto?
Is there anything that can be adjusted. I have a hammer......

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Andy, the controller and fans say they are Brunner - are they the same as the Vento in you r link? Also you appear to have put it at the bottom vent rather then the top that others recommend. Is that correct?
Vento and other names are the same product.
No mine is in the top vent, it must suck air through not blow

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Is there anything that can be adjusted. I have a hammer......
If you switch it to manual the electronics involved in controlling the speed in relation to temperature are not used and thus should be no squeal. The noise is clearly faulty frequency modulation.

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
I had it running manually, and as you say, no noise.
Despite the noise, they do the job in keeping the cornetto's and Magnums nicely frozen at a lower fridge setting than I have been using previously.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back