what happens to my Tax and MOT when i go travelling for over 1 year? (1 Viewer)

bashers

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
3! Been boating for years. Now just bought an RV
Say i bought an RV with 10 months tax and MOT and went travelling for over one year.

Do i have to get the vehicle back into the UK after a year to get it MOT'd so i can buy a road fund license so i can renew my insurance?

How does this work

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
In a word YES

The vehicle MUST be legal in the UK to be driven overseas.

That includes displaying your tax disc (even though it is taxed online, if its not on display its not legal.)

Get it MOTed the day before you leave that will give you a full 12 months travel and if you can work it in with your tax disc as well that is even better

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bashers

bashers

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
3! Been boating for years. Now just bought an RV
That all makes sense.

How is this all handled for those who take years to go round the world for example?

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
That all makes sense.

How is this all handled for those who take years to go round the world for example?

Check the DVLA website, there is a section about temporary exporting.

When they return it must have an MOT and re taxed before being used..

Upvote 0

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
When they return it must have an MOT and re taxed before being used..

That implies that it must come back into the UK on a trailer 'cos my understanding was that if the wheels are a on public road it's being used on a public road.

Or can you get an exemption to drive it from Dover to the nearest MOT station ??

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
That implies that it must come back into the UK on a trailer 'cos my understanding was that if the wheels are a on public road it's being used on a public road.

Or can you get an exemption to drive it from Dover to the nearest MOT station ??

You can use on a public road provided you are going to a pre booked test .. so that in theory would require booking before leaving France.. or before leaving Dover docks.

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
In order to maintain the legality of your vehicle it should be returned in a taxed and tested condition, if you need to pre book the mot because it has already expired you will have been using it without Mot and insurance abroad:Eeek:

Upvote 0

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Can you get a M.O.T in any country in europe?
Paul
Not for a vehicle registered in the UK.
And in case you might be thinking 'what if i bought a german reg vehicle' (for example), yes you could get it tested in germany.....but you need to have a residential address in that country as well.

Basically, it has to be tested in the country of registration.

Upvote 0

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Say i bought an RV with 10 months tax and MOT and went travelling for over one year.

Do i have to get the vehicle back into the UK after a year to get it MOT'd so i can buy a road fund license so i can renew my insurance?

How does this work
Your question ties in with the thread on Fulltiming in a motorhome which you may have read on here.

It's a highly debatable and controversial issue with all fulltimers and those considering pursuing the lifestyle. I think also to say it's 'a thorn in the side' would be an understatement!

The answer in short to your question about MOT is you are allowed by law to drive any vehicle without an MOT to and from a pre-booked test.

But you must have it insured before you do that!

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as long as you have some mot and insurance remaining you can get your roadtax without returning to the uk.

apply online and, when the disc arrives, have someone post the disc on to you at a local address.....campsite,post office etc. you could do the same with insurance but you still have to return for the MOT.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not for a vehicle registered in the UK.
And in case you might be thinking 'what if i bought a german reg vehicle' (for example), yes you could get it tested in germany.....but you need to have a residential address in that country as well.

Basically, it has to be tested in the country of registration.

from what i understand you wouldnt want it tested in germany.......
their test is so strict it makes our look like a tyre kickers convention.:whatthe:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back