Was It You That Blocked, Grantham? (1 Viewer)

karl c

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2010
Broken Link Removed
well was it you? that blocked Grantham lol..?

Attachments

• DSCN4211.jpg
    DSCN4211.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 210

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
let the tyres down and it might fit

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
DX09 HFS ... anyone???

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
Beginner mistake not knowing your height & planning ahead (1st rule for any HGV driver) & should be no2 for an RV driver.......

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
At least he remembered to do the most important thing before setting off. (close his grey water drain)

Whoever you are, I hope you're ok. We've all taken a wrong turn at sometime, or missed a road sign or two.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Looks like there is plenty of room left the TV aerial is the high point. All he needs is to get as many people as possible to climb in and lad it up to drop the springs, BUT they would probably book him for overloading it then.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Looks like there is plenty of room left the TV aerial is the high point. All he needs is to get as many people as possible to climb in and lad it up to drop the springs, BUT they would probably book him for overloading it then.

.....but what about the aircon unit.......

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Interesting. We travelled through Grantham on the A52 towards Nottingham last Friday. The Chinese Sat Nav would have taken us along Springfield Road and up the A1 but the Garmin Camper told us to stay on the A52, which is the route we followed.
We would have been OK under the bridge as we are well under 11'6" high but perhaps it demonstrates the importance of putting accurate dimensions into a sat nav.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Reminds me of our little altercation with a tunnel in Rouen:doh:

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Reminds me of our little altercation with a tunnel in Rouen:doh:

Think we had a close shave with the same tunnel about 2 weeks ago. TomTom was guiding me to the left hand lane, a tunnel under the city and at the last minute I saw the 2.6 (I think) sign and stopped and was kindly allowed to back up

Still having nightmares about the chaos it would have caused

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Interesting. We travelled through Grantham on the A52 towards Nottingham last Friday. The Chinese Sat Nav would have taken us along Springfield Road and up the A1 but the Garmin Camper told us to stay on the A52, which is the route we followed.
We would have been OK under the bridge as we are well under 11'6" high but perhaps it demonstrates the importance of putting accurate dimensions into a sat nav.
Hi Graham,

The A52 runs over the Asda roundabout in Grantham, and the bridge at that point is high enough for trucks with trailers, RVs, etc, which I have come through many a time in an artic, but not in double decker bus. ;)
The bridge in the article looks like the one on the A607, Harlaxton Rd, which we use to bypass the town. When we first approached it, Rita nearly had a fit, but I knew we were okay. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
OOOOOOOooooooooo .... do tell! :D

I have told the tale before but here goes.

Sat nav played up in Rouen in morning rush hour. We drove round tiny side streets and then found ourselves at a place where the road split into two. We chose the right lane and suddenly there was a big crash.

We had struck a height warning barrier and ahead of us was a tunnel..

The left hand lane would have taken us over the tunnel but the 2 lanes were separated by a concrete wall. There were hundreds of cars behind us.

Do we risk the tunnel or not, do we deflate the tyres?

Or do we just hope for the best?

We hoped for the best and made it through.

A front skylight was smashed but that was it.

We laugh about it now:D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Not as bad as when hubby parked a previous overcab MH near a tree with an overhanging branch which he clearly knew about and mentioned he'd need to reverse out; when we returned from shopping he forgot to reverse ... fortunately the damage was minimal!

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Arggggh! We live near Grantham and the number of times the bridges are hit by high vehicles is extraordinary. You would think HGV drivers would inform each other because it has to be at least four or five times a year! The chaos caused is unbelieveable. We have suggested the council put up huge signs as you come off the A roads and approach the town. Then the problem could be circumnavigated giving the HGVs plenty of time to divert. This bridge is just after a busy crossroads and is a cut through from the A607 and A1 to the A52.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi Graham,

The A52 runs over the Asda roundabout in Grantham, and the bridge at that point is high enough for trucks with trailers, RVs, etc, which I have come through many a time in an artic, but not in double decker bus. ;)
The bridge in the article looks like the one on the A607, Harlaxton Rd, which we use to bypass the town. When we first approached it, Rita nearly had a fit, but I knew we were okay. ;)

Cheers,

The article says Springfield Road (which runs from the A52 to Harlaxton Road), Jock, and looking at Google Street Map it appears to be that one as the Harlaxton Road one is arched. I'm only going off that though as I don't know Grantham :) We went under the bridge near Asda as you mention - over 14' that one (y)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
The article says Springfield Road (which runs from the A52 to Harlaxton Road), Jock, and looking at Google Street Map it appears to be that one as the Harlaxton Road one is arched. I'm only going off that though as I don't know Grantham :) We went under the bridge near Asda as you mention - over 14' that one (y)
Sorry Graham, I should have said Springfield Rd, leading on to Harlaxton Rd A607. The one at the bottom of Harlaxton Rd/A52 junction is indeed a wide arched bridge, with road markings guiding larger vehicles to take a centre approach.

Cheers,

Reactions: GJH

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp