How Much Gas Do I Need (not How Much Do I Have!) (1 Viewer)

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
We picked up our lovely new (to us) MH on Sunday. It is a Sea Sharky L2 2010. Very pleased with it as it is absolutely spotless inside and out.

We will be having a weekend next week to try everything out etc but will be going to france for 10 days in July. We go over on the tunnel and will be travelling down to the pyrenees to watch the mountain stages of the tour there. We will be staying at Aires on the way (bought the books etc) but will be "wild" on the mountain for a few days (3?).

We have a new full 13kg gas bottle provided by the dealer (not refillable). Do you think this is enough or should be be adding a spare? there is room for another.

We will need hot water each day of course - some cooking (breakfast mainly) and hopefully no heating.

Advice is welcome as last time we went down there we took a tent!

Jen

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I would suggest that your 13kg bottle will last you at least 3 weeks, if not more. Will you be using gas for your fridge? We have 2 x 6kg bottles and got 3 weeks in France plus 3 days in England in spite of an issue which resulted in our fridge going into over-drive and using our first bottle up within a week.

Upvote 0
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
It will be fine! If you are not using heating then reckon on about 0.7 to 1 litre a day. We usually get about 20 to 28 days out of an 11kg cylinder with average use (all aires, no hook up, fridge on, plenty of cooking and baking, couple of showers a week)

Enjoy France, it's brill (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Agree 13kg will last easy, even in September when using heating a bit & always have water on in the morning for a shower 11 kg will last nearly 3 weeks in July 13kg probably last 4-5 weeks.

Upvote 0

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I will definitely be having a shower every day - if I wanted to be slumming it I would have stuck with the tent!

Jen

I assume you will have access to water whilst 'wilding' on mountain? Shower each day-say 15ltrs a time. 3 days 45 ltrs for 1 person. :) usage will,of course vary from person to person-those figures are ours on average (y)

Upvote 0
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I assume you will have access to water whilst 'wilding' on mountain? Shower each day-say 15ltrs a time. 3 days 45 ltrs for 1 person. :) usage will,of course vary from person to person-those figures are ours on average (y)

Haha, I just bathe naked in the mountain rivers :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
GeebeeJaybee

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
I can slum it a little for those couple of days! last time we managed with baby wipes for about 3 days.
I dont plan to be drinking water from the tanks though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
I will definitely be having a shower every day - if I wanted to be slumming it I would have stuck with the tent!

Jen
You might want to get a second cylinder then. Heating the water for showers seems to be the biggest gas guzzler in our van.
Cheapest way to get a second cylinder around here is to go to the local Council recycling centre. They always have a selection of gas cylinders which they sell for a fiver each which goes in their tea kitty.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
GeebeeJaybee

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
Why not? It's perfectly safe
I am a picky bugger is the simple answer. I wont drink it from our plastic carry thing either - I think it tastes funny but that could be my imagination. I also have Crohns which makes me susceptible to upset tums. The big bottles of water are so cheap I would rather be safe than sorry. We will be moving every day through villages etc so will just keep replenishing.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
GeebeeJaybee

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
You might want to get a second cylinder then. Heating the water for showers seems to be the biggest gas guzzler in our van.
Cheapest way to get a second cylinder around here is to go to the local Council recycling centre. They always have a selection of gas cylinders which they sell for a fiver each which goes in their tea kitty.
That is a great tip thanks.

Upvote 0

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Hi, what you could also do is buy an adaptor for French bottle from bull finch gas for about a fiver. Then get a bottle from inter marche about 1 euro deposit. Use the French bottle first then use your calor bottle as back up. Your covered that way.

Upvote 0

Gollom

Free Member
Apr 6, 2014
Preston, Lancs
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 (1994) - Hetty
Exp
Since 2014
I am a picky bugger is the simple answer. I wont drink it from our plastic carry thing either - I think it tastes funny but that could be my imagination. I also have Crohns which makes me susceptible to upset tums. The big bottles of water are so cheap I would rather be safe than sorry. We will be moving every day through villages etc so will just keep replenishing.
My beautiful wife has Chrohns - hi from someone else mad enough to own a Motorhome under the circumstances! Like you, she just gets on with life. Lots of aire (see what I did there?) freshener :)

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Having been brought up in a house that didn't have a bathroom or even an inside loo, until I was 17 - and always working in offices until I retired I still find this showering absolutely every day thing as simply obsessive - unless you are a sports participant and hence get sweaty, or work in an equally sweat provoking and/or dirty job.

Of course I wash! And nobody has EVER suggested to me that I pong - yet.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back