Free Member
Apr 30, 2015
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
Newbie!
:smiley: Our 1st european trip in a MH soon to France Spain and Portugal with some long stays at certain sites. How important are tyre covers and should I buy some for all wheels?

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
When I worked in a M/H dealership we often saw tyre cracking when inspecting trade ins, frequently it was the inside tyre wall that had perished so couldn't possibly be caused by sun light. So perhaps covers are a waste of money?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Martin OSullivan

Free Member
Sep 7, 2013
Hornchurch Essex
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Self Built
Exp
6 new tyres for me tody due to cracked walls on the outside, no cracks on the inside so must be caused by sunlight. 4 of the tires were dated year 2000 so well past their expiry lifespan of 7 years or so.

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Never ever, ever, ever, used tyre covers.

No one in our Portuguese gang uses tyre covers.

Only time I have seen tyre covers here are on some motorhomes.

But NEVER follow me... do what you think is best.

JJ :cool:

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
If you are worried about UV light affecting your tyres, then you can buy tyre dressing with UV blocking, but, most of the deterioration of tyres starts from the inside and not from the outside!
Air under pressure, when tyres are inflated, contains lots of water and oxygen, plus other chemicals, including ozone.
There is a theory that the presence of these chemicals, especially water, inside the tyre cause oxidation to occur, which speeds up the deterioration of the tyre from the inside, and this oxidation process speeds up when the temperature of the air inside the tyre rises.
The answer may not be to cover the tyres but to inflate them with nitrogen, which reduces oxidation, holds pressure better ( less risk of tyres heating up due to under inflation) and tyres tend to run cooler, so no extra heat from over inflation.
Nitrogen is best used in new tyres and could extend the life of low mileage tyres by as much as 30 or 40%.
Probably.......
Allan

Upvote 0

phodetheus

Free Member
Jan 20, 2014
Full timer
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
3 months
After having 2 blow outs from tyres that looked just fine but the rubber had perished I always use my tyre covers. Its better to get a full set as if you only have one side and end up on a north/south facing pitch your going to be moving them around twice a day.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
yes, well worth using, but no need to buy anything, pop into the local shop and get some cardboard boxes, cut out the size and use that or black bin liners..

anything in fact that is free .. we like free :D

Upvote 0

Bobndebs McKay

Free Member
Jul 15, 2014
Bali for the Winter!! Back in Feb 2016
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 FMSE
Exp
5 months travelling Through France, Spain, Portugal, Germany and Holland as a Full timer in our firs
If you are worried about UV light affecting your tyres, then you can buy tyre dressing with UV blocking, but, most of the deterioration of tyres starts from the inside and not from the outside!
Air under pressure, when tyres are inflated, contains lots of water and oxygen, plus other chemicals, including ozone.
There is a theory that the presence of these chemicals, especially water, inside the tyre cause oxidation to occur, which speeds up the deterioration of the tyre from the inside, and this oxidation process speeds up when the temperature of the air inside the tyre rises.
The answer may not be to cover the tyres but to inflate them with nitrogen, which reduces oxidation, holds pressure better ( less risk of tyres heating up due to under inflation) and tyres tend to run cooler, so no extra heat from over inflation.
Nitrogen is best used in new tyres and could extend the life of low mileage tyres by as much as 30 or 40%.
Probably.......
Allan

Even planes don't use them and think how important and expensive their tyres are.
Aircraft tyres are inflated with Nitrogen, not only for it's purity, but it is inert and therefore safer.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
value%20plus%20cotton%20wool%20roll.jpg

:whistle::whistle::whistle:

Upvote 0

Bobndebs McKay

Free Member
Jul 15, 2014
Bali for the Winter!! Back in Feb 2016
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 FMSE
Exp
5 months travelling Through France, Spain, Portugal, Germany and Holland as a Full timer in our firs
@Gin Palace Debs and I are on our maiden trip around France, Spain and Portugal at the moment. We shall keep an eye out for you and say hello if we can. I have started a blog in here with costing sand sites so far if you are interested. Incidentally we have no tyre covers, but saw a few people from The AutocruiseClub Club with big tartan heavy duty shopping bags, side cut out as tyre covers, good, cheap option I thought!!
Broken Link Removed
Cheers

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
View attachment 65486 This I,s the type I mean. !! (y)

Crikey I am sure I could fashion a set for every Funster from my wife's enormous collection of "bags for life". We've got Tesco, Sainsbury's, Asda, Waitrose, Coop etc, etc, etc.

My car boot is full of them. Her car boot is full of them, the van is full of them, the house is full of them.:doh:

Upvote 0

phodetheus

Free Member
Jan 20, 2014
Full timer
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
3 months
Even planes don't use them and think how important and expensive their tyres are.

But how much time do the tyres spend outside exposed to the elements? Very little. How often are they changed? Very often.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gin Palace

Gin Palace

Free Member
Apr 30, 2015
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
Newbie!
@Gin Palace Debs and I are on our maiden trip around France, Spain and Portugal at the moment. We shall keep an eye out for you and say hello if we can. I have started a blog in here with costing sand sites so far if you are interested. Incidentally we have no tyre covers, but saw a few people from The AutocruiseClub Club with big tartan heavy duty shopping bags, side cut out as tyre covers, good, cheap option I thought!!
Broken Link Removed
Cheers
Thanks for the link! Will be following you soon :hi:

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
In hot climates the black tyre walls absorb heat . eventually the rubber will degrade and crack. They will be susceptible to blow outs more easily than non protected tyres. best covered IMHO, in sunny climates(y)
The cheap /freebies covers are just as effective as commercially available ones:)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back