Free Member
Apr 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Hello again,

(As a reminder, I'm a newbie, who has yet to buy his first motorhome)

So we visited the motorhome show in Kent this weekend to get a final feel for the layout we like best. Turns out, we sat in many different layouts and realised we could actually make anything work. BUT... at the show was a new Hobby Vantana K60 which we fell in love with. I found the seated area at the front comfortable, I like the idea of the fixed bed at the rear with large storage space underneath, and the sliding door system for the toilet seemed like a nifty solution (in practice, we'll have to see).

So after starting my investigations with a low budget for second hand van, then upping it a lot to a nicer second hand van, I am now very strongly leaning towards a new Hobby Vantana K60. But, the addendum to this is that I would like to buy in Germany and import to the UK. I have now finished work (always was the plan to quit to go travelling) and have a lot of time on my hands before we are due to leave (6 weeks time). From my research, it seems that importing a van would be doable in that time, just.

am in the process of identifying dealers and will make contact tomorrow, and hopefully fly out this week to take possession and bring it back to the UK.

I'd like to get some opinions on this. This seems to be the first van conversion that Hobby have done. Am I taking a risk buying their first ever model (Vantana)? What is Hobby's reputation in general? We looked around inside a similar layout Hymer and somehow preferred the Hobby (the seats seemed more comfortable). I'm open to suggestions to change to buying a Hymer converted van though if people feel strongly about it.

I realise I'm taking a further risk in going through the import process, but the cost saving is just incredible compared to buying from a dealer here. We'll be touring the continent for 4 months, so the LHD actually suits us fine, but we may take a hit on resale. As mentioned, I do have all my time free now before we leave, so I can focus full attention to the import and registration process. Anyone think I'm nuts?

Thanks in advance

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Like l said on the other thread your main problem will be getting it registered with DVLA in time! It takes a minimum of 30 days and sometimes 6 weeks or more. You can't have a schedule set in stone......Also van has to be in stock.

Just looked at video of the Hobby....pretty stock layout, looks nothing special.... Globecar panel vans are really well put together and offer great value....personally think you are rushing into this.

Hobby have no track record of building panel vans, peter possl has been building globercars for over 25 years and they are very popular in Europe with good reason.

Not sure of budget but other vans worth looking at are from La Strada and the Cathargo Malibu

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
I think you're nuts but like your style (assuming it all goes well). If you can get something in stock then go for it although I would pick the MH and drive off for 6 months (due to import tax on new vehicles) then come back to the UK and register it. How that may work practically I have no idea but gives you some extra breathing space.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mwark

mwark

Free Member
Apr 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Actually, the other option we have is have my partners parents buy the van in France (they live there) using our money, we leave it in their name for the entire trip (French insurance covers the vehicle and us), then finally 6 months later we'll sign it over to our name and start the import procedure to the UK when we are not on a strict timeline.

Upvote 0
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Just looked at video of the Hobby....pretty stock layout, looks nothing special.... Globecar panel vans are really well put together and offer great value....personally think you are rushing into this.
Hobby have no track record of building panel vans, peter possl has been building globercars for over 25 years and they are very popular in Europe with good reason.
Not sure of budget but other vans worth looking at are from La Strada and the Cathargo Malibu
And from WildAx...

Upvote 0

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
The France idea would work with your partners folks. Why this model out of interest and also why new?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mwark

mwark

Free Member
Apr 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
By model, you mean the Vantana K60? Because we viewed and sat in quite a number of vans at two motorhome shows and to me that one felt very comfortable and very well built. I like the idea of the rear fixed bed so I can store chairs, table and perhaps two fold up bikes below it.

In terms of buying new, I was confused about if import fees and VAT had to be paid on used motorhomes. I rang HMRC and the guy I eventually got through to told me that if I could not prove that VAT had been paid on the used vehicle, I'd have to pay it in the UK anyway. I am unconvinced I could prove this on a second hand motorhome from someone in France which might negate any benefit of buying in Euros.

I'm not against the idea of buying a used vehicle here in the UK and continue to investigate this option, but I struggle to determine what is good value and what isn't. Feel free to link any adverts that you might think are a good match for my requirements. There is a 2011 LHD Adria Twin SP for sale on auto trader that looks ok.

EDIT: I'm basically doing what I always do with decisions and swaying to and fro while trying to learn as much as possible from anyone who will tell me stuff :)

Upvote 0

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Actually, the other option we have is have my partners parents buy the van in France (they live there) using our money, we leave it in their name for the entire trip (French insurance covers the vehicle and us), then finally 6 months later we'll sign it over to our name and start the import procedure to the UK when we are not on a strict timeline.
So the issue is the VAT, if it is imported to France then I assume your family will have to pay French VAT.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mwark

mwark

Free Member
Apr 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Yes, we will have to pay VAT on a new vehicle. I'm getting a little side tracked here but briefly this was my thinking:

Option 1) A new vehicle bought on continent is say €45k = £33k which includes VAT (paid in whichever country)

Option 2) A 5 year old vehicle bought on continent may be around €35k = £25.7k excluding VAT. Then when I import this and pay VAT in the UK, it'll be around £30k.

Option 3) The same used vehicle in the UK is likely to be > £30k

Seems worthwhile to spend the extra £3k to buy new?

But I am probably tying myself in knots here trying to micro analyse this.

Upvote 0

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
I can only advise on used as I imported from Germany. But having read up on the process a new one (under 6 months) will require you to pay tax in the country of purchase and also in the UK (unsure of France although assuming the same as in the eu) You will be able to claim one of these duties back. However you may have to wait for a while and will have effectively double paid. Unless you have the money sitting around to do this (or you wait for 6 months so the vehicle becomes used) then this doesn't seem a wise option. If you buy used then you only pay VAT in the country of purchase. In Germany this is 19%.

Again - in general terms much more choice, better build quality and cheaper to buy in Europe. And the added benefit of good exchange rates.

In terms of models (vans) I couldn't advise. The one thing I knew wouldn't work for us was a fixed bed so actively avoided looking at them.

Whereabouts in London are you? Cross my palms with some beer and spirit and I could tell you a lot more! :)

Upvote 0

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Option 2 does not attract VAT and remains £25.7k using your figures.

Upvote 0
Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
I own a Hobby 600 on a Y plate. The build quality and everything is superb. The only thing I find is there are few Hobby dealerships about to help you. We bought ors second hand and didn't realize Hobby were so specialized. Just check about warranty repairs etc etc at dealerships anywhere near you

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mwark

mwark

Free Member
Apr 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I can only advise on used as I imported from Germany. But having read up on the process a new one (under 6 months) will require you to pay tax in the country of purchase and also in the UK (unsure of France although assuming the same as in the eu) You will be able to claim one of these duties back. However you may have to wait for a while and will have effectively double paid. Unless you have the money sitting around to do this (or you wait for 6 months so the vehicle becomes used) then this doesn't seem a wise option. If you buy used then you only pay VAT in the country of purchase. In Germany this is 19%.

Again - in general terms much more choice, better build quality and cheaper to buy in Europe. And the added benefit of good exchange rates.

In terms of models (vans) I couldn't advise. The one thing I knew wouldn't work for us was a fixed bed so actively avoided looking at them.

Whereabouts in London are you? Cross my palms with some beer and spirit and I could tell you a lot more! :)

Ha ha, thanks for the extra info. I'm in South West London and would be up for meeting. Feel free to pm me.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back