Truma 3402. Black Condensation Coming From Inlet/exhaust (1 Viewer)

Phil jerome

Free Member
Jun 2, 2015
scotland
Funster No
MH
CI Fiat Ducati 644
Exp
3 years
Hi all,
Has anyone come across this? Heating works,water heating works, but, the top of the C 3402(hot air and water heater) with the plastic shroud and grey foam top, gets hot and gives off a hot plastic smell, also the condensation has black soot in it and runs down the side of the van from the inlet/exhaust vent.
Recently on a 1600 mile round trip from far north of Scotland to Devon,we had a 'Wild Camping' stop near Durham, we used the van without EHU on 1st 40deg gas setting( one click up on the single Truma type selector dial) and it was not as bad, the black soot condensation that is. Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Have the unit checked over. Soot in the exhaust/flue is a sign that all is not well with the burner (it will be burning with a yellow flame). The hot plastic smell is likely to be the smell of the exhaust if it's sooting.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
They all tend to smell 'hot and plasticky' when running. However, I agree that the soot symptom suggests that the flame is not burning properly.
Herre is a link to the Truma dealers search - select 'trained service dealers'. There seems to be a good spread in Scotland.
Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Phil jerome

Phil jerome

Free Member
Jun 2, 2015
scotland
Funster No
MH
CI Fiat Ducati 644
Exp
3 years
Thanks for the reply guy's, l did talk to Truma about it at the MH show in Glasgow this year, he was sure it was gas pressure, due to a faulty regulator, he recommended putting some aluminium heat tape inside the top cover to take the heat away from the plastic and foam. I carried out both suggestions, new Reg, Ali tape etc. No Change.
I will try it out again on Sunday, both on EHU and without as the builders have gone now and l can claim back my driveway at last.
I shall have to go the full Hog and take the unit out and bench test it.
Do either of you chaps know the sequence of the magic Truma single control knob, as it's not that clear in the manual what happens with EHU on or just on gas ( no EHU)

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Soot is a sign of incomplete combustion
Giving rise to carbon monoxide the silent killer
Please get it checked and stop using it
The longer its left the more damage :Eeek::Eeek:

OP
OP
Phil jerome

Phil jerome

Free Member
Jun 2, 2015
scotland
Funster No
MH
CI Fiat Ducati 644
Exp
3 years
I get where your coming from tofo, but, l may have not explained the symptoms well. The combi fires up ok and l get hot water after 10 mins the exhaust outside is clear with no smoke, but, the condensation that comes out of the exhaust is black and stains the white paintwork on the side of the van as it drips down and I guess there would be no CM fumes involved although like all good MH's l have a fully tested CM alarm fitted.

OP
OP
Phil jerome

Phil jerome

Free Member
Jun 2, 2015
scotland
Funster No
MH
CI Fiat Ducati 644
Exp
3 years
Just had another thought, the cover on the inlet/exhaust vent was missing when l bought the van and l never paid much attention to it until reading about it on the forums, could there be water ingress laying in the burner chamber and traveling up the exhaust as condensation?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I'm not sure if this is relevant to your particular unit or not, but some years ago, there was a bit of a free upgrade available on Trumatic C boilers which fell within certain serial numbers, and I think it was to do with the plastic boiler cover becoming too hot, giving off a smell of melting plastic/bakelite.

We always had a wood burning smell from ours, especially when the heating was on full, and when the Truma engineer at the Dusseldorf Show removed the boiler cover, there was a film of wood dust all over the inside of the cover, which came from the woodwork done during the MH build process. Although he blew it all off clean with his compressor air line, he offered us the chance to fit the modification. Truma UK had already been approached with our serial number, which they told us, did not come within those which qualified for the modification.

Having opted for the modified boiler cover, which apparently directs heat a way from the boiler more efficiently, we've not had a problem since.

Note your serial number and get in touch with Truma UK to enquire. It may be relevant, or it may not.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

P.S. Your boiler/heater is flued externally, so very little chance of CO becoming a problem, however, I too have installed a functional CO alarm to cover all possibilities.

OP
OP
Phil jerome

Phil jerome

Free Member
Jun 2, 2015
scotland
Funster No
MH
CI Fiat Ducati 644
Exp
3 years
Thanks! l'm not sure if Truma will still give that upgrade offer as mine is a 2004 CI Carioca 644 and when l spoke to them back in March at the Glasgow show they were not forthcoming, but, l think l have convinced my self through pur deduction that it needs a strip out and check the combustion chamber for dirt and water ingress, also l need to source an external cover for the inlet/exhaust which is about 2 1/4 in. Dia.
I have spent the last 40 years diagnosing mechanical/electrical faults, but thankfully not for much longer(retirement next year at 67), strip the 'bugger' out that's the next step. Many Thanks.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
l'm not sure if Truma will still give that upgrade offer as mine is a 2004 CI Carioca 644
I think you are right, however I wasn't aware of the age of your MH, and that they were still installing the smaller C3402. Ours is the C6002.

Grey, cream or anthracite,the external cowl covers are available here..........

(Scroll down).

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back