Problem With Leisure Batteries (1 Viewer)

Apr 28, 2008
rayleigh, essex.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
We had been having problems with our leisure batteries the power would drop during the night so at the peterborough show we purchased 2 x 135 amp banner replacements.
We have used them twice since and have the same problem although not as bad, we have a 100 watt solar panel which we had fitted 2 years ago dont know if this has any baring on the problem, the readout last thing at night shows around 13.5 amp but if you use the loo during the night say 3/4 am ( we are both getting on so cant last through the night) the sog comes on but the pump struggles to flush.
Everything fine as soon as batteries recharge at dawn.
Has anyone any clues?

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
If you mean 13.5 volt, that is a decent reading. It should not drop thro the night unless something is using the power, such as a fridge running all night. The fridge should not normally run on battery unless the engine is running. I'd try switching everything off last thing at night, apart from stuff that you know you need, such as a flush pump, then see what happens.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
It's not uncommon to have a reading of 13.5v before going to bed, especially in the summer when the solar panels have been providing a charge. In the morning before daylight, the reading will be nearer 12.7 which is also a good reading, which will rise in line with the amount of light the panels are exposed to. Often by 10.30, the readings will be back up at 13.5.

If the leisure battery is being depleted during the night, ( and only a proper volt meter will give the true readings), then there may be a problem with the solar controller blocking diode, which prevents the panels from discharging the batteries, when light becomes dark, or as suggested, there is a power drain somewhere in the 12v system, which again, the volt/amp meter can identify.

Good luck with it. (y)

Jock. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
The battery voltage will drop of over night as nothing is charging it, a fully charged battery is about 12.6 and above. But you must have a drain if the song fan is having trouble do you know what the voltage is in the early hours
Joe
you beat me to it Jock

Hobbytwo

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby750
Exp
Since 2008
Yes, good advice from Geordies I'd say. Put your fridge on gas during the night if you have that facility, and I reckon your problem will go away

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Yes, good advice from Geordies I'd say. Put your fridge on gas during the night if you have that facility, and I reckon your problem will go away
If it's the usual 3 way MH fridge, it should only operate on 12v when the alternator is running.

2 x 130Ah batteries = 260Ah. :eek: That is a lot of amps, even if only 50% is actually useable. There has to be something seriously wrong to drag them right down, however, if that were the case, it would take many hours to bring them back up to 12.7v, which indicates fully charged, ie, a good multistage charger on EHU,and not a few hours on a100 watt solar panel.

Cheers,

Jock.

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
we had a problem with our engine battery had to disconnect it or it would not start the m/h looks like something is taking your power if you have fitted two new batteries and a solar panel hard to say would it could be but you mayhave to switch some thing off or it may be a poor earth on the m/h lol ray

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
100watts of solar wont fully charge your new batteries, what you are reading is the charging voltage, not the actual charge in them. plug the van in for 24 hours to fully charge them (if charger working correctly)

OP
OP
chasthedagger
Apr 28, 2008
rayleigh, essex.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
We have the fridge on gas, and nothing else on its only evident when using the loo, the sog fan starts when toilet slide opened and when flush is pushed poor water flow is evident.
Once the solar panel has been charging for 2 or 3 hours all is fine.
Noticed today that it was charging at 2.4 amps
Reading now 13.1 volts on leisure batts

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
assuming 50% discharge, 2.4 amps will take a very long time to recharge 130amp/hours

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back