Huawei Mifis And External Antennas (1 Viewer)

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Hi, I’ve got a Huawei E5377 mifi. It can act as a hot spot by picking up 3/4g signals and broadcasting them as a hotspot in the van. You can also get it to pick up wifi (both 2.4 and 5GHz) and broadcast that instead. Clever bit of kit, has to be one or the other though

My question, it has 2 sockets for connecting to MIMO external antennas. I know that it will boost LTE, 3/4g signals if I connect the two leads from a LTE antenna. WILL it do the same if I swap them for the 2 leads from a MIMO wifi antenna. Anyone know?

I can’t see the point of it picking up wifi and rebroadcasting it in an area where any wifi enabled phone/Tablet/lappy could get it anyway otherwise.

As usual with technology these days the manual is minimal an d limited to "quick start". I suspect they think that somehow you will pick it up by osmosis.

Dick

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
According to MotorhomeWifi it appears the answer is yes.

Broken Link Removed

You need to scroll down a bit but it is there.

I'm sure @Addie can give you a definitive answer (y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I hadn't realised it can rebroadcast a local WiFi signal. I guess the advantage comes if you can attach to it a suitable external aerial(s) so it can pick up a weak WiFi signal and locally boost it.

It seems to be an alternative to the iBoost system. Thanks for mentioning it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We've got a 3G / 4g low profile roof aerial. Really does improve the quality of the 3G signal in places. Have also used it in places where there is s weak wifi signal too but less successfully. Though hut wifi option does save your data allowance if you have access to wifi

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I hadn't realised it can rebroadcast a local WiFi signal. I guess the advantage comes if you can attach to it a suitable external aerial(s) so it can pick up a weak WiFi signal and locally boost it..

I'm afraid the Huawei device doesn't work in the way that you describe. The external antenna sockets are connected only to the 3/4G part of the device so have no benefit for WiFi. It does not 'boost' a WiFi signal - it has no better receive capabilities than your built in device.

The purpose of this feature is not to boost or improve a WiFi signal (it will give the illusion of this as your local signal strength will be higher) but for failover and providing uninterrupted internet. So for example if you was sat in a cafe and the WiFi cuts off it will switch back over to 3/4G and keep you online.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: DBK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back