Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
The trials and tribulation of travel.
Hi Guys
What a great meet at Newark just watched the video sums it up **Brilliant** ::bigsmile:

We finally made it to Florida after a nightmare trip and the weather is blue skies sunny and 80+ degrees.

We set out for Gatwick with plenty of time to spare on Tuesday morning 5am. .At 7.30 20 miles from Gatwick a crash closed the M25, we did 1 mile in hour & half. At 9am we managed to exit M25 but had to find Gatwick with no sat nav and no maps, what followed was like something from the movies. We stopped at some traffic lights behind a taxi I made Jan jump out and ask the driver the way to the airport, he said he was going there so to follow him. He knew we were probably going to miss our flight so we were doing crazy speeds down narrow lanes to get there as quick as possible. We arrived at 9.40 flight to take off at 10.10 dumped the hire car empty of fuel :Eeek: and ran to check in which was just closing then through customs and made the plane with minutes to spare. Then the plane had a problem and we sat on the pad for a hour and a half.
We got to Charlotte about 20 minutes late with 2 hours to get through immigration recheck our bags and catch the Tampa flight. Then we were taken to an interview room and made to wait for an hour with no explanation. When I dared to ask how long we would be kept after we'd been there 30 minutes I was told in no uncertain terms to get back in the room and wait or I would be on the next plane home. Eventually we were interviewed or interrogated by Hitlers mother I refused to answer some questions as they were far too personal and none of her business. She agreed to let us in but made it quite clear we are really not welcome and have spent too much time in America for her liking 12 weeks in the last 60 and will probably not be allowed back again, so we need to contact the American embassy when we return. This is a great country with very friendly people but entering is a nightmare and the officials are the most ignorant and obnoxious I've come across. Morocco was bad but at least you knew they were just trying to get a few euros off you, these guys are on a power trip. The strange thing was all the people being interviewed were middle age Brits most with families, not a Asian in site, hardly terrorist material. One guy got angry apparently he'd been there 2 hours with his wife and 2 small kids and they refused him entry his little boy was so upset he just kept asking "why can't I see Mickey Mouse" "Welcome To America" Anyway we ran through another airport and again made the flight with minutes to spare.

The car and RV were both booked in for service on Thursday, on the way to the garage the RV started to struggle and we could smell burning then the steering started to drag one way. I pulled over thinking we had a flat but didn't and as it was only 2 miles to go we carried on, coming up to a set of lights on red with stopped traffic in front and NO BRAKES :Eeek: Luckily the lights changed and we avoided a disaster, we crept into the garage with a very hot engine terrible steering and no brakes Relief.
The outcome was a caliper had seized on the front parts weren't available until the next day so a night in a hotel was needed as well. The final bill for RV and car was $2000 so not a good start but at least it happened here and we were able to sort it all out before we started on our journey.

So today we're gonna sit by the pool chill out have a few beers and a steak tonight and set off for Texas sometime tomorrow.

Keep you posted see you at the Americana :thumb:
Rory & Jan

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Doncha just love our American cousins.......should never have lost that war.:Blush:

glad you got in ok and hope the rest of your trip goes without problems...

thefman

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
notts
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since 2000
:Eeek: blimey rory i hope thats it for this trip mate

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You and brakes Ror:Doh:
You should try using them once or twice a year at least, it keeps em free
Have a good un and dont get locked up:thumb:
If your not freeing off brakes your battling with Imigration:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

IanH

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
Hey Rory bet you need a holiday after that:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I had had fun on my last trip,rushing to get the hire car back before the 2 days hire ran out,there was a car fire on the M25 with traffic at a standstill,managed to drop it off with 5 minutes to spare

Immigration at Orlando what a joke ,greasy haired old guy would not accept the address that i was going to stay at.He said the address means nothing to him,i said well thats the correct address,he says well i cannot accept it go away and fill the address properly .

So i went away filled the form in with a nonsense address went to a different guy and went straight through.

Just don`t know what some of them are on

Have a good trip

Ian & Doreen

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Rory & Jan,

The vast majority of Americans are shocked:Eeek: when they hear of how fellow Bits are treated in the hands of the American Customs and Border Patrol staff.

I don't know if you are a member of the RVforum RV Forum - Home but may I suggest you copy this posting on that forum who knows one day the 'right' person may read of these atrocities and do something about it?

weymard

Free Member
Jan 25, 2009
CHERBOURG NORMANDY
Funster No
MH
US TRUCK CAMPER
Exp
Rory & Jan,

The vast majority of Americans are shocked:Eeek: when they hear of how fellow Bits are treated in the hands of the American Customs and Border Patrol staff.

I don't know if you are a member of the RVforum RV Forum - Home but may I suggest you copy this posting on that forum who knows one day the 'right' person may read of these atrocities and do something about it?

I agree with you, RV forum is a good address and Forestboy can find some help if he need it.

Forestboy wrote : "........so we need to contact the American embassy when we return" , it is a KGB methodology !

RuthRv

Free Member
Jan 4, 2008
Funster No
Hi Rory,& Jan,
Sorry to hear of your bad start, but hope all is now ok, and that you both enjoy the rest of your trip, you will probably laugh about it all when you are reminising about your travels, but for now keep cool:thumb:

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Hi Rory & Jan
Sorry to hear about your problems..... They obviously didn't know who you were mate :winky:
But never mind you'll always be welcome back here :thumb:
See you guys at Americana

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Gordon Bl##dy Bennett, Rory & Jan.

What a start, to what is supposed to be a relaxing time. :Eeek: I'm with you Rory, if it's not relevant, they don't need to know.

Let's hope that there's no more "jobsworths" waiting for you on the way out. Glad to hear that all was okay with the RV and the toad in the end, albeit pricey. :whatthe:

All the best until Americana, and safe travels. :thumb:

Jock & Rita.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back