LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I have an Igo laptop charger 12v and recently I have changed to a HP laptop and there are no connectors produced for this model, I am most disappointed as it has served me well.

I have never really go on well with inverters, but, it would appear that I may have to bite the bullet and get an inverter, suggestions?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Which HP model is it @ShiftZZ?

There are 12v chargers around for some HP models.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Find a defunct 230v HP charger (eBay spares & repairs?) and cut the laptop connector off the end, leaving enough wire for splicing.

Buy a suitable 12v charger (ie correct output voltage/ampage) and cut off whatever universal-type connector it has on the end.

Solder HP connector to 12v charger cable, taking care to get polarity right (insulation on positive wire is often striped).

I've done something similar and it's worked.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Find a defunct 230v HP charger (eBay spares & repairs?) and cut the laptop connector off the end, leaving enough wire for splicing.

Buy a suitable 12v charger (ie correct output voltage/ampage) and cut off whatever universal-type connector it has on the end.

Solder HP connector to 12v charger cable, taking care to get polarity right (insulation on positive wire is often striped).

I've done something similar and it's worked.

Did similar when Acer charger cable got damaged. Cut and spliced together.
However you can get 3rd party multi-tip chargers that will fit HP Compaq kit. Think mine is a Trust.

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
If the OP doesn§t mind, can I ask a question about 'charging'a laptop with a basic inverter.

I understand it should be a pure sine wave to 'run' a laptop, but if the laptop is turned off and the inverter is just being used to charge the battery, while travelling for instance. is that OK?

Thanks

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
If the OP doesn§t mind, can I ask a question about 'charging'a laptop with a basic inverter.

I understand it should be a pure sine wave to 'run' a laptop, but if the laptop is turned off and the inverter is just being used to charge the battery, while travelling for instance. is that OK?

Thanks

hmm.. it may well be ok.. do you feel lucky ?

200 watt Quasi sine wave about £40 .. PSW about £100

I wouldn't risk charging almost £2.5 k of laptops for the sake of about £60 more for the PSW ... would you ?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
You can use a 12v car charger like this
Broken Link Removed
That's similar to the charger I've been using for years but sometimes laptop manufacturers use different sockets which the supplied tips do not fit. I had to buy a specific charger for an Asus laptop a few years ago as a result. When buying a multi-charger it is important to ask the seller if it has a tip for the specific machine you want to charge.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Don't know but if you get one from Maplins make sure it doesn't keep screaming at you when you switch it on ... mine does. :(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back