Advice where to stay in London (1 Viewer)

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Looking at taking our son to London for 5-6 days at the end of May in the school holidays (from wed 27th may).

We want a site where the fees are reasonable as we will be spending our time actually in London doing the tourist things (it'll be his 1st visit!):Eeek: , so want/need the site fees to be as low as possible.

We'd like it to be within walking distance of the underground network (doesn't matter which zone), that being around 1 to 1 1/2 miles.

We found the perfect site, which is a CC CL, however this is booked up.:cry:

Can anyone suggest anywhere that would be suitable?? :thumb:

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Have you tried CC at Abbey wood thats on a tube station or near one
the other is Crystal Palace thats on a bus route but not cheap.Hope that may help a bit Cheers Rob.!!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
You could try the two Lee Valley sites at Link Removed (inside the LEZ) and Link Removed (outside the LEZ).

Transport to/from central London is bus/train/tube rather than just tube but doesn't take too long and initial stops are pretty close to the sites.

Graham

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
errpaul

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
You could try the two Lee Valley sites at Link Removed (inside the LEZ) and Link Removed (outside the LEZ).

Transport to/from central London is bus/train/tube rather than just tube but doesn't take too long and initial stops are pretty close to the sites.

Graham

Thanks, would I be right in thinking that as our MH is under 3.5tonnes we do not yet have to pay the LEZ charge until 2010 (if it is not suspended)?

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
The one at sewardstone is not too far from us and looks really good. Its in a scenic place, not what you would expect for London.

Nearest station is Chingford which takes into Liverpool Street or Change at Walthamstow Central for Victoria Line into Oxford Street. Its about half an hour to oxford street from the central.

There are bus stops near the camp and the mini cab service locally is very good

If of course you get really stuck you could also pm us.

Reasonably nearby is Waltham Abbey and the Gunpowder Mill which is well worth visiting

Here is the link Royal Gunpowder Mills - Days Out Events in Essex

There is horseriding nearby and some decent pubs with carvery restaurants. There is a swimming pool in Larkshall Road again not too far away and Gilwell Park the famous scouting site is just down the road too.

Benni-Boy

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years
Hi, we used to stay at the CC site at Abbey Wood. About 200yds from Abbey wood station which takes you straight to Charring Cross (Trafalgar Square). Last year unfortunately we fell foul of the LEZ. My van is a Benimar 6000st Europe and is registered in 2000. The gross weight is 3,500kg. I thought that was less than 3.5tons but the g*** have banned me from our nations capital. Be very careful because if you stray illegally into the dreaded LEZ zone you will be caught on camera and charged £200 a day! This is supposed to be freedom to roam! I wrote to the gestapo in London and explained that I would only be entering their zone for about 2 miles, then the van would be parked up. I would then be spending my hard earned cash on their rail network, in their shops and theatres. This all fell on deaf ears so I will not be visiting london again.

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks, would I be right in thinking that as our MH is under 3.5tonnes we do not yet have to pay the LEZ charge until 2010 (if it is not suspended)?

I would think so but heed Benni-Boy's warning and check your specific vehicle Here.

We've stayed at both Lee Valley sites as well as Abbey Wood. Prefer Abbey Wood but would go back to both the others if it were more convenient for us.

Graham

OP
OP
errpaul

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
I would think so but heed Benni-Boy's warning and check your specific vehicle Here.

We've stayed at both Lee Valley sites as well as Abbey Wood. Prefer Abbey Wood but would go back to both the others if it were more convenient for us.

Graham

Thanks for the link.....looks like I'm lucky as although my V5 say 3500kg the LEZ site says that I'm not subject to LEZ:thumb:

Didn't want to fall foul like bennie-boy...that is terrible, and such a ridiculous cost..how can they justify £200:whatthe:

magicman

Free Member
Dec 22, 2008
Funster No
One other thing to remember about the LEZ is that it only applies to diesel powered vehicles.

Dave

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008

Graham

What a great link, thanks for that :thumb:

Our MH is compliant until 2012 :Smile:

OP
OP
errpaul

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Have you decided where to stay yet?

Not yet no.....Leaving it late you might think, but we've pushed this trip back a couple of weeks now and will do it over a few weekends rather than all in one hit (will take more than a few I know!)
We're going to Wales (Dylans site) in May half term instead now (longer drive than London..too far for a weekend!).

Can I pm you about a couple of London sites?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back