Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Hello,

I have a Mclouis on a Fiat Ducato about 5 years old and parked up overnight in a large Spanish Service Station a few nights ago and got "broken into". I locked the cab doors and the light confirming came on, yet in the morning, the light was still lit and the passenger door still locked but the drivers door was UNLOCKED and the obvious entry point. No marks on the door at all and no Fiat alarm went off. Now the insurers are trying not to pay up for the losses as there was no physical sign of a break in. Any ideas how the thieves did it?

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Hello,

I have a Mclouis on a Fiat Ducato about 5 years old and parked up overnight in a large Spanish Service Station a few nights ago and got "broken into". I locked the cab doors and the light confirming came on, yet in the morning, the light was still lit and the passenger door still locked but the drivers door was UNLOCKED and the obvious entry point. No marks on the door at all and no Fiat alarm went off. Now the insurers are trying not to pay up for the losses as there was no physical sign of a break in. Any ideas how the thieves did it?
I have no idea how they got into yours but I had a very similar situation with my van a number of years ago in Spain. The Guardia report also stated that there were no visible signs of break-in so the insurers refused to pay for items taken assuming that the vehicle was not locked. It was fun getting back into the UK without a passport and not bothering to obtain an 'emergency' passport from the embassy in Madrid.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
What a horrid thing to happen, made worse by being unfairly accused of somehow being "to blame" for somebody breaking in to your van!
nothing stolen
I got the impression stuff was stolen?
the insurers are trying not to pay up for the losses
Hope it hasn't made life too difficult @Espana Peter , and that you get a good result.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
sorry if the links to much I'm not good at this
:D no you're not are you!!! :D but we all have to learn sometime (I couldn't post links a year ago either) ;)
Very interesting information though, what an absolute disgrace that these things are on the open market. How can motorists possibly protect themselves?

Fatwheels

Free Member
Apr 24, 2015
Sittingbourne
Funster No
MH
Auto trail scout
Exp
I'm a newbie
I had extra deadlocks fitted to my van and will be having them fitted to my MH when it's delivered these are the the ones doing it police we arnt even interested .these are the people who did it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 469
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 454
Last edited:
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
What a horrid thing to happen, made worse by being unfairly accused of somehow being "to blame" for somebody breaking in to your van!

I got the impression stuff was stolen?

Hope it hasn't made life too difficult @Espana Peter , and that you get a good result.

Yes, it was a horrid thing to happen. BUT. No accusation of blame intended whatsoever . The report makes no mention of anything stolen so perhaps you assume there was because the insurance company and thieves were mentioned, just as as you incorrectly assume I was making an allegation. I replied to what the post said, not what it didn't.

For your information, if I don't close my front passenger door fully and activate the locking mechanism with the electronic key the light on the dash indicates the doors are locked with the flashing light and there is the sound of the doors locking, the rear hab door locks though the motorhome front door is not locked and our alarm is not activated.

I simply offer this as a possible explanation, nothing more, no accusations, no assumptions.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The OP actually said
"Now the insurers are trying not to pay up for the losses as there was no physical sign of a break in."
That suggests to me there were things stolen, as that can be the only "losses" if there was no physical damage.

I agree with you about the door maybe left open or ajar.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Deadlocks are what I recommend to prevent this. I really hope you can fight your insurance company successfully.

This is the ones I used. But you may need the newer model ones.

Broken Link Removed

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Ue
The OP actually said
"Now the insurers are trying not to pay up for the losses as there was no physical sign of a break in."
That suggests to me there were things stolen, as that can be the only "losses" if there was no physical damage.

I agree with you about the door maybe left open or ajar.

Yes quit so. I realise now I have re read the post that as you say something obviously taken. Thank you

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
If we are parking somewhere I feel is a bit dodgy, I put a quick release strap across the door handles

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
If we are parking somewhere I feel is a bit dodgy, I put a quick release strap across the door handles
We tend to have a simpler system. Just drive off and find somewhere we are comfortable with. :D

We certainly would not stop on motorway Aires, as they have a reputation for problems.

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
We use a 6mm wire strop with 2 swaged loops that runs from the steering wheel round the nearside door hand pull on and under the 3 peddles up and around the offside door handle pull and padlocks together over the steering wheel horn push. If the doors are forced open more than a couple of inches the horn sounds. This does work as we have found out. This cost £5 to make up at a boat chandlers a few years ago. Simple.

steve & ann. --------- teensvan

OP
OP
E

Espana Peter

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Thank you for all of the input, yes items were stolen, all they, he or it could grab in a matter of minutes from the table & seats, including some clothing which the police found scattered between 5 & 20kms down the A7. I was just mad at not knowing HOW they got in so consensus seems to be a car pick locksmiths tool which one would think were not available for the general public, or the drivers door was left ajar? If the lock pick was used, wouldn't it have opened both cab doors or does only the key with a chip do that? If I had left the drivers door ajar, they would still need a key of some sort, unless I had left it completely open? ALL of my keys were in my trainer shorts so I had to hire a car and make 1100 kms round trip home to get my spare set. I like teensvan99 idea a lot :)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
We use a 6mm wire strop with 2 swaged loops that runs from the steering wheel round the nearside door hand pull on and under the 3 peddles up and around the offside door handle pull and padlocks together over the steering wheel horn push. If the doors are forced open more than a couple of inches the horn sounds. This does work as we have found out. This cost £5 to make up at a boat chandlers a few years ago. Simple.

I wire an alarm direct to all door switches . It has to be set off to get out or in. cannot be turned off from outside vehicle.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

This has just given me another idea ;) I have recently changed both front seats & they recline/tilt forward. I noticed that when I tilt the drivers one it rests on the steering wheel, which isn't a problem until you lean on the seat back. ..............which then sets off the horn:LOL:. A nice little wire or strop through both doors & over seat should do it (y)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
If the lock pick was used, wouldn't it have opened both cab doors or does only the key with a chip do that?
My second "manual" key only opens the drivers door.

Reactions: DBK

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Are you sure they did not get in via a window.
In April a man was locked out of his Mercedes/Rapido in Spain.
I got into his van in under two mins no damage via a window.
I will not post how.
But look at all the windows and look if there are any marks on the motorhome next to the window.

Mel

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
One of these fixed to each door/ handle and the other end fixed to the body...

Once a door is opened the alarm goes off.. (Enough noise to wake the dead and frighten off any intruder) 140 decibals which is ear shattering..

To stop just replace the pin which would have been pulled out..

The lanyard may need extending with a piece of string/twine...

Broken Link Removed

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Not sleeping on motorway service areas is what I recommend to prevent this.

It's well documented they are not safe places to stay....even for few
hours.
I used to stop on them all the time while whizzing up and down france.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
One in many thousands...... like every thing you only get to hear about the one vehicle that was broken into...

Take reasonable precautions, and stopping over night is as safe as wild camping and staying on official Aires.. (y)

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
I have a A class and decided that the security for the hab doors was sadly lacking, so fitted a pair of these that it obvious they are deadlocked from the outside as you are approaching the vehicle,

I know the windows are also a weak point but with reed switches and internal sensors it should trigger the alarm to wake you,
But I live in hope that a scumbag approaching my MH will see the locks and go looking elsewhere for his drug money,
I also have a complete set of keys locked in the safe with the safe key hidden in the MH,
Unfortunately no vehicle is safe from a breaking but you can make it more difficult so they don't assume that MH are easy pickings!

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I never fail to be amazed at a thread like this where someone tell the world how its done and where to get the bits needed. A thieves university without doubt.

Fatwheels

Free Member
Apr 24, 2015
Sittingbourne
Funster No
MH
Auto trail scout
Exp
I'm a newbie
Sorry if in trying to let people no what they may be up against that people feel I'm letting the less honest people no how to do it but if we don't no the techniques people r using to rip us off how r we meant to protect ourselfs

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have a A class and decided that the security for the hab doors was sadly lacking, so fitted a pair of these that it obvious they are deadlocked from the outside as you are approaching the vehicle,
But how do you lock them FROM THE INSIDE ???

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back