Nearest And Best Dealer To London (1 Viewer)

mwark

Free Member
Apr 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Hi again,

I'd like to go and have a look at a large selection of motorhomes. Can anyone recommend a dealer with a large selection near London?

Initially I was convinced I wanted just a converted high top, lwb, van but slowly I'm coming round to the idea of a purpose built vehicle such as Hymer or Hobby (just for e.g.). As long as they are under 3500kg (license restriction).

Thank you

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I live in sarth london and while there used to be a few, none now that I know of and i could never recommend any of them anyway!lol

Guess wheres the best place to buy a german van..... Germany! if you want to see a good range in one spot just go to a big show.....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mwark

mwark

Free Member
Apr 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Actually, I will try to go along to this on Saturday:
Broken Link Removed

But I am very much considering flying out to Germany and buying a used vehicle there and importing. Seems to be a lot cheaper than buying in the UK.

I have about 7 weeks before we leave so I'd need to get this process started soon.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
The Southern Motorhome Centre usually has a good range of stock. They are based at Taplow near to Maidenhead, so not too far out of London. I have bought two motorhomes from them in the past and have been very pleased with their service.
Brisey.

http://www.southernmotorhomes.co.uk/

Upvote 0

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
We bought our first caravan from Cranham Caravans http://www.cranham.co.uk/
who seem to have a good stock of motorhomes. I certainly could not recommend the dealer in Gomshall Surrey where we bought our motorhome but you may have better luck with them.

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Actually, I will try to go along to this on Saturday:
Broken Link Removed

But I am very much considering flying out to Germany and buying a used vehicle there and importing. Seems to be a lot cheaper than buying in the UK.

I have about 7 weeks before we leave so I'd need to get this process started soon.

A very tight schedule to meet! :censored: To source, buy, go get and register a van!

DVLA in itself can take forever....They get a triple A star for hopelessness IMO:)
Call DVLA now for an import pack

I use a good German dealer experienced with exporting PM me if you want details....personally would not rush as it may go all wrong. mate of mine went round 4 dealer last week and ended up buying again from them..

Eddie

Last edited:
Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
George-Cole-as-Arthur-Dal-010.jpg

With a quality used Motorhome from a reputable dealer the world is your lobster my son.

Upvote 0
May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
What about Webbs Reading? We visited there recently and although we didn't buy, they seemed helpful and knowledgeable. We also visited Southern Motorhomes at Taplow but were a little discouraged there as there was a lack of specific answers to questions regarding payload etc and the salesman suggested there was no need for a test drive, so not entirely comfortable about this dealer.

Upvote 0

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
Having just done Germany and imported a van last month, I would second this.

My new reg plate came through today which is exactly 4 weeks since I landed it in the UK.

But yes, you're cutting it fine.

Upvote 0
May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
How much do you save on average doing this? And if you do import, who deals with an problems? Excuse my ignorance. An is it possible to import used vans?

Upvote 0

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Savings vary depending on exchange rates. But I'd guess 15-20% and often you're getting a better built product. Hard to say with mine as I've never seen one for sale in the UK. If you import yourself- you're stuck with dealing with any problems. But then you do have a 'cushion' to manage this. But judging by some threads on here - even buying new from a dealer in the UK is no guarantee.

You're better off buying used in most cases (older than 6 months old) as you won't be liable for tax in the UK. You may be able to reclaim from Germany after a period of time but you'll suffer paying two lots of tax.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mwark

mwark

Free Member
Apr 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Having just done Germany and imported a van last month, I would second this.

My new reg plate came through today which is exactly 4 weeks since I landed it in the UK.

But yes, you're cutting it fine.

Good to know! Do you mind me asking who the dealer was, or was this a special case vehicle?

Upvote 0

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Good to know! Do you mind me asking who the dealer was, or was this a special case vehicle?

Hymer-Zentrum Dhonau. Just outside Düsseldorf. Highly recommended.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mwark

mwark

Free Member
Apr 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
How much do you save on average doing this? And if you do import, who deals with an problems? Excuse my ignorance. An is it possible to import used vans?

I've not done it yet, but have been doing a lot of research on the web. The savings, to me, seem enormous. Greater than £10k for a new vehicle in my case (my plan).

I did visit the motorhome show in Kent this weekend and have pretty much now settled on importing a vehicle.

I started a new thread on this:
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/importing-hobby-vantana-k60.109987/

Thanks

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back