Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi
Those that have read my previous post about damaging my Awning Fabric, will remember I was investigating a method of replacing it without a full dismantling job.
well with new sheet to hand (supplied by Linda at Stateside Tuning) the tools reqd and the first sign of sunshine Plan A was swung into action,
Plan A fell at the first hurdle:Doh: and that was to drill and cut new grooves in the end caps so that the old and the new sheet could be fitted without taking it all to bits, it was kyboshed straight away as it became apparent that the old fabric groove rubbers were well and truly folded and deliberately trapped behind the end caps to prevent the sheet from moving once fitted
Plan B do it the hard way
having already replaced the locking ratchet on one side I was familiar with the mechanics of it all and it was just as well as there was nothing for it but to totally dismantle both sides
I was glad I did as re fitting the new sheet was a doodle, once I had made a groove in the top rail as it appeared the fabric was slid into the rail before the ends of the RV were fitted:Eeek:
The new sheet was first slid into the top rail and allowed to hang down the side like a curtain
Next the roller tube was slid onto the bottom of the new sheet there are to grooves for this, one for the main sheet and one the front valance, I thought they were two separate pieces but its not,its all one sheet and two grooves(very clever)
after the roller was fitted it was time to re fit the end caps and wind em up I decided on sixteen turns as the springs were a little tired that was one extra than it took to unwind
Now came the test:Sad:
Result--- it wound up an absolute dream,
Such a shame it was rolling inside out:Doh:
Now some smart ar*e will think what a plonker::bigsmile:
Well let me tell you it was very therapeutic having to undo it all to re wind the other way:cry::cry::cry:
Worthy of note, the front one goes Anticlockwise, the rear one clock wise, now what you will have to work out is, I'm I telling you the truth or not:winky:
All in all a very pleasing job with what I consider a very pleasing outcome, I think it makes the RV look a good few years newer
you may notice in the pic I also fitted the Anti unfurling device as shown by Rory in one of his posts simple but effective that was bought from Duncan (Star Spangled Spanner) at the Newark Show
Job Time 2.5 Hrs (two men)
Tools reqd
Drill
Pop Riveter
6 rivets
1 pair Mole Grips
1 Bag Nerves

Awning004.jpg

Awning008.jpg

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Nice awning George, the front frilly, hangy-down bit was in the box then::bigsmile: I see you fitted that new awning lock as well, was it simple enough? Does it lock as easy as you thought it would?

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Nice awning George, the front frilly, hangy-down bit was in the box then::bigsmile: I see you fitted that new awning lock as well, was it simple enough? Does it lock as easy as you thought it would?
Hi Jim The front dangly bit is all part of the main sheet not seperate at all
its just the way it runs in the grooves that make it look a seperate item, all clever stuff:thumb:
Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back