Mar 23, 2015
North Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kemerton
Exp
Since 1989
Hi All
We have an Elddis 140 (08 plate) and I am thinking of converting to led lighting. Can I just buy bulbs that will fit our current fittings, do I need to change the fittings? (downlighter spot lights) and if so where do I get them from?
Total learner here but bought solar panel and want to reduce my power use for camping without hookup. We are 'without hookup' rookies but willing to learn!!
Many thanks

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
as said.. I did all of mine and sourced LEDs from this company, as recommended by others on Fun
http://www.atenlighting.co.uk/caravan-motorhome-lighting

not a cheap job.. I had 11 to change .. you can buy cheaper.. but cheap LEDs don't last. .. do it once do it right .. (y)
I bought two to try for colour.. and settled on warm white..

if you tell us what lamps you have can advise on replacements..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rooky Vanner

Rooky Vanner

Free Member
Mar 23, 2015
North Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kemerton
Exp
Since 1989
Ok
Here is the picture you have been waiting for... the bulb is 2 pin and wait for it 35mm in diameter?
Here's hoping.

Attachments

• Listener[1].jpg
    Listener[1].jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 59
Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
As has been said before, don't buy cheap 12volt ones, buy 8 to 30 volt ones, they are the ones that last.
image.jpg

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Or there's warm white, I put warm in the lounge area and cool in the kitchen and bathroom, not cheap but the power savings are massive. The indicator was 8.6 watts for halogen and 0.8 watts for LED.
image.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rooky Vanner

Rooky Vanner

Free Member
Mar 23, 2015
North Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kemerton
Exp
Since 1989
Hi Badknee It's for the lounge area so gone for warm white.
Next I am checking what is in the roof lights.
Seems a lot easier than I expected!!

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Ok
Here is the picture you have been waiting for... the bulb is 2 pin and wait for it 35mm in diameter?
Here's hoping.
you can change those for the ones in poundland -they are warm white with 12 leds-had no trouble with mine so far (2years).
for others i went on e bay

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Ok
Here's hoping.
That looks like what is called an MR11 bulb which is 35mm diameter. The one suggested by Badknee won't work because it is for a fitting with a G4 halogen bulb and the prong connectors are in the wrong place for your fitting. Just search MR11 LED on fleabay and you will come up with hundreds of hits. Try to choose one in the UK or you will have a long wait to get it from China.

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Now for your next test? What do I replace this with????
to replace those buy 5m of led strip from ebay and remove all the electronic parts from the fitting ,you just need the live and earth that enter the fitting i cant see if those lights have switches if yes leave the switch in situ and use the two wires that come out of the switch to connect to the strip
i used as much as i could get inside the fitting to get a bright light but you may need less depending on its use
the strips come with two wires on for the first connection and can be cut to length every 3 leds there's a mark on the tape where you can cut
at the end of each section there are two solder dots you can solder new wires onto or you can buy connectors which clip on
led's are polarity sensitive but if you connect wrong it will not damage them just reverse the wiring
the strips are self adhesive but i added a couple of spots of glue as well
it sounds harder than it is its taken me longer to type this reply

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rooky Vanner

Rooky Vanner

Free Member
Mar 23, 2015
North Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kemerton
Exp
Since 1989
5m strip ordered, mr11s ordered, fantastic advice, just exactly what I wanted!!
Saved me a fortune and I am very grateful to all of you, The strip idea was superb, never thought of that...
Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
as said.. I did all of mine and sourced LEDs from this company, as recommended by others on Fun
http://www.atenlighting.co.uk/caravan-motorhome-lighting

not a cheap job.. I had 11 to change .. you can buy cheaper.. but cheap LEDs don't last. .. do it once do it right .. (y)
I bought two to try for colour.. and settled on warm white..

if you tell us what lamps you have can advise on replacements..

Hi,

I have 4 down lights in the cab / dinette area, in your opinion would the G4 10 led's be too bright in the warm white? or would I be ok with the 6 Led one's

Andy

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi,

I have 4 down lights in the cab / dinette area, in your opinion would the G4 10 led's be too bright in the warm white? or would I be ok with the 6 Led one's

Andy

I bought the 10 led warm white G4s and they are very bright.. great for reading.. but I think the 6 led would probably adequate .. buy a couple to try ?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back