Daveymac

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 6, 2014
Kent
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Hi all I have been looking at trying to book on the tunnel in November to go to Europe but from what I can see there is a weight limit of 3.5 tonnes on the passenger service. Does anyone no if this is so as our tag axle is 5ton so we are snookered

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Taken our 5ton tag dozens of times before it got so expensive now use the ferry.
Just book it on as campervan / motorhome.(y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Ditto. Campervan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
If this bus can get on the Passenger service I'm sure you'll have no trouble - we followed it on.
Eurotunnel Bus 1.jpg

AMK

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
gainsborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2014
Yes just book the weight limit is for commercial vans over 3.5. I'm 5tn and travel every year.

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
How much is it now to cross over on train . Is more than the ferry?

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
How much is it now to cross over on train . Is more than the ferry?
Damn near double unless you use Tesco vouchers, in which case it's free

Cheers. Nige

May 6, 2015
Teesside
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1980
Try booking a 24 hour return, I use this all the time in my car, as long as it's not the same day you can get it as low as £24 each way, you obviously bin the return leg, much cheaper paying for two 24hr returns than by the normal route.

May 6, 2015
Teesside
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1980
Just checked, for a camper van to travel tomorrow and return next day is, £37 out and £28 return= £65, try beating that, obviously you would have to do the same on your return.

May 6, 2015
Teesside
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1980
Just also checked on leaving tomorrow and coming back 2 weeks later, £105 out and £75 return=£180 versus £130 doing 2, 24hour returns.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Just checked, for a camper van to travel tomorrow and return next day is, £37 out and £28 return= £65, try beating that, obviously you would have to do the same on your return.
Have you tried this method @Jonned ?
I thought in the t&c you had to use the return leg, otherwise Eurotunnel reserve the right to charge you the full fare ?
Just my understanding of it, happy to be corrected, never tried myself for fear of receiving a large bill !

May 6, 2015
Teesside
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1980
I have used this every time I use the tunnel, must be a couple of dozen times now, last time was 2 weeks ago to travel to Germany, never had any bother at all.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Damn near double unless you use Tesco vouchers, in which case it's free

Cheers. Nige

That's as unhelpful as it is incorrect. Yes, it usually is more but it isn't double or anything like. On our last trip, for the nearest equivalent journey times the ferry would have been slightly less than £20 cheaper. On occasion, when getting quotes purely as an exercise I've proven it is quite possible for the tunnel to be cheaper than an equivalent ferry crossing using basic prices, not using any kind of discount code on either.

If you don't like the tunnel then fine but it's a bit out of order to post blatantly incorrect information to try and put others off.

@BONZO The tunnel is usually, but not always, more expensive than the ferry. The exact amount varies on a journey by journey basis. It's down to you to decide how much the speed and convenience of the tunnel is worth to you. For us, travelling with dogs, it's worth quite a bit. The only way you can be accurate is to check both the tunnel and the ferry when you come to book and base your decision on the difference you get at the time.

EDIT:

Just checked now for the return tunnel crossing we already have booked for July/August.

Tunnel was £231.00

P&O nearest equivalent crossings £212.80

myferrylink nearest crossings £165.00

DFDS sold out on all the crossings anywhere close to the times we have.

So we could have saved £66.00 on the return trip or £33 each way but the speed, convenience and happy dogs is worth all of that and more to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Not trying to put anyone off the tunnel.
Next week I'm off to Le Mans, Ferry £112. Eurotunnel £190
Can you do the maths or should I do it for you ??
That is a big difference, the usual price for us on the tunnel is £160
We can get on a ferry for around £80-£90

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Not trying to put anyone off the tunnel.
Next week I'm off to Le Mans, Ferry £112. Eurotunnel £190
Can you do the maths or should I do it for you ??
That is a big difference, the usual price for us on the tunnel is £160
We can get on a ferry for around £80-£90

Just goes to show that you need to get quotes from all each time you want to cross.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We use the tunnel (using Tesco vouchers) on winter trips. If we haven't got enough Tesco vouchers we'll usually do the early summer crossing by ferry as it is usually cheaper.
Definitely worth checking with all the various operators before deciding which to use.

Denise

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Joe's just reminded me that you need to clear your cookies before booking if you already checked prices otherwise the price goes up.

Denise

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If you wanted to go tomorrow afternoon you can for £37

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We always use the tunnel purely because it saves us time. We both work shifts and we both only get limited time off together. Every minute we save is good. We always leave from work in an evening and get a tunnel crossing at about 8pm. Also the tunnel suits us because the dog stays with us.. is happy.. and stress free. We probably pay about £70-£90 on average per crossing and we use tescos vouchers when we can.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back