Dealing With Dealers For A New Van (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
We're off to look at a new van this weekend. A last years model being sold off at a discount (allegedly). Do I try to get him down on price or will he not have any wiggle room. We plan to part exchange our van. We've never dealt with a dealer for a motorhome let alone a new one. I'm sure the answer will be "try it anyway" but just wondered what others experience has been.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
There is always room to move on price.
Just remember if he does not make a profit he can't offer you service.
Its a two way street.
But dont take any offer.
And dont let them fill out the order form without a firm delivery date .
They like to put ASAP
Get a fixed date thn its a contract.

Best of luck

Mel

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If you want to know how to negotiate with dealers then buy the book in my signature below . The Motorhome Buyers Guide has saved funsters many thousands of pounds (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
It is a buyers market. Negotiate hard and best of luck. Let us know how you get on

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
ask for the build date..probably old stock, could well be a 2013 used for shows/demonstrator etc....So while they describe it as "new" to charge max price I see it differently.
I'm guessing its a pre facelift van, x250 and not x290? x290 have been available since September 2014 (if on seville chassis)

Its really up to how you feel about the deal and if it works for you....IMO better value importing brand spanking new to be honest if happy with LHD, everything well overpriced here...

what is it?

Last edited:

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
They wouldnt wiggle on price when we purchased our PVC but we did get a extras in stead - Fiamma Bike rack, Solar Panel, TV/DVD, Insulated water Tanks, an a full tank of fuel ;) You gotta be cheeky, afterall look at how much your spending (y)

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Whats the difference between an x250 and an x290. As for asking for a delivery date we will be looking over the actual van up for sale.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't know what you are looking at, but to start off with, if it's getting towards 40 grand I would offer at least 5 grand less, see how it goes and leave them to it for a day or two.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Don't know what you are looking at, but to start off with, if it's getting towards 40 grand I would offer at least 5 grand less, see how it goes and leave them to it for a day or two.

Problem is people get caught up on the ease of the PX offer, whereas they would be mostly better off selling privately and then going shopping for a van....

X290 is latest up to date version? My point was whatever it is its old stock so would have to be a very good deal indeed to impress me! And with a PX you won't get it on both ends.

Last edited:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Dont forget the x251 !!!!!!
Thats what I understand mine is. Has the black dash and Euro v engine, came out late 2011 but look like the x250..
The latest models will be the facelift verison.

Ref a buyers market, read an article last week that stated registrations of new motorhomes up 18% !!

Haggle the best you can until you are happy with the deal.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
I recently bought new and couldn't get a very big discount. However, we did get some extras thrown in. Bike rack, TV with extended bracket and a few more bits. We also sold our van privately getting 4k more than was offered in PX so it's worth considering. If you go this route make sure funds are in your bank and cleared before handing over the keys.
Good luck (y)

May 6, 2015
Teesside
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1980
We have just bought a new Hymer, we could not pick it up until it had been in the country for about 2 weeks due to the amount of vans going through the workshops pdi etc.
The staff had said they were run off their feet, there were 3 new vans going out on the day we picked ours up so haggling was very difficult, my wife is an expert haggler and she said it was one of her hardest challenges.

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
There is certainly great demand at the moment and with many people now taking pension lump sums, haggling could be a challenge however, the dealer is there to sell, he can always say no, whilst it is easy to upset a private seller by what he considers an insulting offer, the dealer is not emotionally involved and will treat any offer as an expression of intent and a starting point for negotiation. Don't be shy(y)

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
This particular van is probably one of the last of it's model so we dont think it will be around for long. Probably not enough time to sell ours before purchase and i dont have the space or the funds to have two MHs. It's replacement model is about £7k more which is way outside our budget, so it looks an attractive proposition from where I stand. But I am not experienced in the new MH market which is why I'm trawling for opinions.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This particular van is probably one of the last of it's model so we dont think it will be around for long. Probably not enough time to sell ours before purchase and i dont have the space or the funds to have two MHs. It's replacement model is about £7k more which is way outside our budget, so it looks an attractive proposition from where I stand. But I am not experienced in the new MH market which is why I'm trawling for opinions.
Don't rush in, if they havnt sold it in a year, it's not likely be gone in a couple of days especially as others have said brand new ones are flying off the shelves, take your time, make sure it's exactly what you want, not just buying it because it looks cheap, maybe a newer model of a different type around the corner, or even a part used one of the same model, that's had all the faults dealt with,but as I have never bought new , who am I to say.
Good luck with it anyway, I have found it's always easier to spend money in a rush than it is to get it back.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
I would check it over very carefully. My local dealer in ABZ has a "New" 2013 plate Bessacarr E464 on his forecourt. Price being asked for is £42,500 stating a saving of £3,140. I know he has had this van since September 2013 and obviously can't shift it. Having seen the condition after 3 months of people going in and out, I would imagine it would be worse after 20 months.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back