URGENT No Power - can you help please? (1 Viewer)

GrandmaLiz

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
Funster No
Hi,

I tried to start the engine this morning but nothing happened - can anyone suggest what I could look at? Is there anything other than a flat battery which could cause this to happen? Thanks, GrandmaLiz:cry:

D

dutchy

Deleted User
no power

How long has the m/home been idle?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

GrandmaLiz

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
Funster No
Hi Dane & Dutchy, Thanks for replying, I only bought it at the beginning of March - it had sat on the dealer's forecourt for some months but seemed to start OK on the test drive. After purchasing it, I drove home (about 150 miles over two days) with no problem. Since then, it's been stationery for about 2 weeks - I made sure I turned the immobiliser and alarm off before trying the ignition - the key turns but nothing happens. Regards, GrandmaLiz:cry:

Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
I suspect the battery has gone flat, my Autoquest used to do that if I left it standing for more than a week. Even though the alarm didn't work it drained the battery. I would charge the battery up and see if that works. Solved it by wiring in a charger that could be switched to charge either leisure or van battery as needed from EHU, and if I wasn't using it for a few days I connected the EHU.

Last year one of my cars did it and I thought it was the battery so I charged it but still nothing so I rang RAC and it turned out to be a blown fuse.

Are you in RAC/AA/Greenflag?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

GrandmaLiz

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
Funster No
Hi, No joy I'm afraid - the lights etc. are not working either so I suspect it's the battery. Being new to this, I really don't understand why this should happen - I had an 80watt solar panel fitted to keep the leisure battery charged and would have thought that after driving 150 miles the alternator should have charged the car battery adequately. I did run the water pump quite a bit yesterday on auxilliary power (which presumably is the leisure battery?) to flush the system with sterilizing solution and assumed tis would not drain the leisure battery and especially not the car battery. The only thing that has been running constantly since I bought it is thw alarm/immobiliser. What do you think? Regards, GrandmaLiz:cry:

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
From your description it does seem to be the battery.

Like Caztur had, we have an Autoquest. Alarm can drain the battery. Another culprit is the radio if only turned off at the ignition rather than positively using the on/off switch.

Graham.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

GrandmaLiz

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
Funster No
Hi Caztur - I hadn't thought of a fuse blowing - I'm in the RAC so Iv'e called them out now. I will have to look at fitting a charger - naiively, I didn't think I would need one can any garage fit one or do I need to go to a motorhome dealer? How much can I expect to pay? Thanks, GrandmaLiz:cry:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

GrandmaLiz

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
Funster No
Hi Graham, I'm not sure about the radio, I did just turn it right down, not off but wouldn't that automatically switch off when the engine is switched off like it does in a car?
Hi Dutchy - No lights 'glowing' on the dashboard when the key is turned.
Thank you all for your help and support - it's really appreciated
Regards, GrandmaLiz

Upvote 0
D

dutchy

Deleted User
power

It could be any number of things

Flat Battery
Loose terminal connection
Fuse
Dry battery

Upvote 0
D

dutchy

Deleted User
power

Ok
please let us kniow what the outcome was
and when its sorted
you could fit a battery master from cak tanks arond £23 mark i did never looked back

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

GrandmaLiz

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
Funster No
Hi everyone, thank you so much for helping - the RAC man has just been. As suspected it was a flat battery. He checked the alternator - that's OK and the battery itself is OK (+ leisure battery has full charge). Looks like I wil need to find out what has drained it so quickly and fit a charger.

Regards, GrandmaLiz :thumb::Smile::thumb:

Upvote 0
D

dutchy

Deleted User
power

Glad your sorted
Dont take it for granted that the radio only works when ignition on, its not uncommon for people with campers to change the wiring so it can be used without ignition
The Batterymaster is the way forward in my oppinion especially as you have a solar panel

Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
Pleased to hear you've got it going.

Any good auto electrician should be able to sort it out for you. My brother did mine for me.

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
First of all, glad the RAC man sorted you out.

Hi Graham, I'm not sure about the radio, I did just turn it right down, not off but wouldn't that automatically switch off when the engine is switched off like it does in a car? (snip)

When you turn off the radio by switching off the ignition it is like putting a mains appliance in standby - it's still drawing some power. To completely turn it off you need to use the switch. With a typical car it doesn't tend to matter as the vehicle is used often enough to replace any current drain but with a MH which is stood for quite a while the drain can build up.

As Dutchy says, a Batterymaster or similar enables charging of the van battery via the leisure battery charging circuit. An alternative (not permanently fitted) is a portable smart charger like the Ctek 3600 or the much cheaper equivalents sold by Lidl and Aldi. I have a Tronic T4X as sold by Lidl which I plug in if necessary to give the van battery a boost.

Graham

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Hi everyone, thank you so much for helping - the RAC man has just been. As suspected it was a flat battery. He checked the alternator - that's OK and the battery itself is OK (+ leisure battery has full charge). Looks like I wil need to find out what has drained it so quickly and fit a charger.

Regards, GrandmaLiz :thumb::Smile::thumb:

I would bet that the battery is shot. The RAC man has told you the battery is ok, but you cannot test a flat battery (That's why he works for the RAC :winky:)

Take the van to a good Tyre and Battery company and any reputable business will test the battery FOC

Charge the battery first though:winky:

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My radio (Sony) drains the battery even if its switched off. The only way to stop it is to remove the 'removable' front panel.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi Liz,

i wouldnt go to the expense of a new onboard charger.

aldi and lidl do a cheap, small, 3 stage mains charger (around a tenner).....just connect to the engine battery and plug into the mains socket in your house/garage and leave it on.

or a normal charger plugged into a plug-in timer socket, set for 30 mins a day.

Upvote 0

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Hi, No joy I'm afraid - the lights etc. are not working either so I suspect it's the battery. Being new to this, I really don't understand why this should happen - I had an 80watt solar panel fitted to keep the leisure battery charged and would have thought that after driving 150 miles the alternator should have charged the car battery adequately. I did run the water pump quite a bit yesterday on auxilliary power (which presumably is the leisure battery?) to flush the system with sterilizing solution and assumed tis would not drain the leisure battery and especially not the car battery. The only thing that has been running constantly since I bought it is thw alarm/immobiliser. What do you think? Regards, GrandmaLiz:cry:

When I switch mine to Aux it uses the engine battery............might be same on yours. :winky:

Boo

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
When I switch mine to Aux it uses the engine battery............might be same on yours. :winky:

Boo

dont know much about yank-tanks Boo, but it sounds like your switch is wired the wrong way round, not that it matters as long as you know which way to switch it.:thumb:

Upvote 0

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
dont know much about yank-tanks Boo, but it sounds like your switch is wired the wrong way round, not that it matters as long as you know which way to switch it.:thumb:

It took a flat engine battery to figure it out :winky:

Boo

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back